7 Myths About Network Marketing

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by MLSmith, Jan 21, 2007.

1. MLSmith

MLSmith New Member

Hey Guys n Gals,

I just wanted to clear up these Network Marketing myths for anyone who believed in them.

To start, the first myth is the numbers game myth.

Ever hear your upline tell you that it's just a numbers game? Call enough people and eventually you will find someone that wants to join your business. This really only works for the people that are excellent at prospecting. Sure, if you talk to 7000 people you may get a few sign ups, but how long would that take?

Plus contrary to popular belief, calling leads is in no way duplicable.

The second myth is the myth of multiple streams of income.

A great man once said, "Having multiple streams of income usually equates to multiple streams of outgo." What that means is you will probably be trying to hard to maintain all those streams of income and truly start to loose money. The best approach is to get laser focused on one objective and become great at it (also in the profit too). If and only if you are in the profit for that stream then move on.

Third myth, building a network marketing business using the internet is impossible. The internet is a true medium and relationships can be built upon it. How are you communicating with most people overseas on your team? Do you feel its an impersonal email you send them every time?

Fourth myth, you can become rich by spending no money at all. This is probably one of the biggest myths out there. Mainly because of all the hype floating around in this industry. Many people have given this industry a bad name claiming, "Join free and we will build your downline!" Nope it doesn't happen, sorry to disappoint you.

Fifth myth, to grow your business you must just buy and call leads. For the most part the leads purchased at a lead company are completely generic. So when you call these people they may have no idea what network marketing even is! Don't get me wrong, calling leads works for some people. But how duplicatable is calling leads? In the long run this method just doesn't hold up.

Sixth myth, you can just set up your business and forget about it. Wouldn't that be nice! Most of the time your business will be plagued by attrition which just means people will leave your business. Unless you're training those who join you to become leaders, you will never be able to leave with a residual income. The main reason for that is because people usually just sign up and leave. Why? Because people usually are just buying hope.

They will buy the product and try for a month then give up. Then they can tell themselves, "Well I tried at least."

The final myth is that the only way to actually generate income from network marketing is to recruit.

For all the people who didn't join your business you can offer them additional resources. Maybe not everyone was looking to start a business. Don't just move on after you have contacted that first lead and they weren't interested.

Well there you have it, now go out and start building your business the right way.

Hope this helps anyone who had the wrong ideas.

Let me know how you feel about this.

Mike
  2. robinwing

robinwing New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your fourth myth. I know a lot of people who have been given false promises about building their downline or that they will get tons of spill-over. While yes, maybe we'll get some spill-over, we really need to do the work. Set our focus, be committed and take action!
  3. libctr

libctr New Member

Great piece. Any body that thinks they don't have to do any real work themselves and that their upline will just do it all for them needs to find something else to do. They're not even worth recruiting.
  4. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I have learnt Mike from my own experience that the concept of it's a numbers game is really true.

You need to go through many people to find your true leaders.

Not everyone who joins your team will do anything.

The real secret in MLM is that you need to contact a lot of people to find a few good leaders.

So many fail because they go through a few people and when all of them say NO, they tend to quit or find the next best business.

if you keep on going when the going gets tough, you will succeed.

Tal
  5. TopMentor

TopMentor New Member

Mike,

Nice post... bottom line is any home business or network marketing biz is not get rich quick, it takes work.

Cheers,

Brian
  6. robertlaf

robertlaf New Member

I thought this was Ann Sieg's http://www.annsieg.com/
    "7 great lies of network marketing", her free promo offer for Renegade Network Marketing System.
    This woman is getting a ton of buzz, in fact 1 forum has an entire topic for her.
    Here are her's:
    1.Everyone is your prospect
    2.This isn't really sales
    3.Anyone can do this
    4.We'll build your business for you
    5.We have the best product
    6.You just don't have enough belief
    7.Just follow our proven business plan

This free report is excellent. It was everything I knew but was afraid to mention much. I heard one big MLM companyy banned her.
    It costs $67 and when you buy it you own "7 Lies" and can resell Renegade and she brands it with your signature etc. (I may be vague sorry, new at internet marketing).
    She combines MLM with internet and affiliate marketing too.
    When I join Ameriplan I am buying it.
  7. divavalley

divavalley New Member

8. gil401k

gil401k New Member

Quoting: robertlafI thought this was Ann Sieg's http://www.annsieg.com/
    "7 great lies of network marketing", her free promo offer for Renegade Network Marketing System.
    This woman is getting a ton of buzz, in fact 1 forum has an entire topic for her.
    Here are her's:
    1.Everyone is your prospect
    2.This isn't really sales
    3.Anyone can do this
    4.We'll build your business for you
    5.We have the best product
    6.You just don't have enough belief
    7.Just follow our proven business plan

This free report is excellent. It was everything I knew but was afraid to mention much. I heard one big MLM companyy banned her.
    It costs $67 and when you buy it you own "7 Lies" and can resell Renegade and she brands it with your signature etc. (I may be vague sorry, new at internet marketing).
    She combines MLM with internet and affiliate marketing too.
    When I join Ameriplan I am buying it.

I recently bought the Renegade Network Marketer. It really has a lot of information to help you get started with marketing an online business. I just made my first commision last week without really applying all of their suggestive maketing instructions. I can't wait to see how I do with it using all of their marketing methods. [​IMG]
  9. BeAChampion

BeAChampion Member

Quoting: MLSmithThird myth, building a network marketing business using the internet is impossible. The internet is a true medium and relationships can be built upon it. How are you communicating with most people overseas on your team? Do you feel its an impersonal email you send them every time?

I respectfully disagree with this so-called myth here.

The Internet is the strongest resource you have BUILD RELATIONSHIPS.

Think about it.

Once you have a lead geration system, and you pump tons of people into your autorepsonder, you can build a realtionship with thousands of people at the push of a button.

Each time you send out an email to your list, and share yourself and your values and your marketing system, you will get more signups than ever before and all in record time because, once people trust you through the relationship you've built with them over weeks or even months....

They will come to YOU and ask you if they work with you.

There is no need to hut down others to join you once you build that relationship as you were saying but you do it faster and better by using the power of the internet more than anything else.

Tim McGaffin

President CEO
    Laffin McGaffin Inc.