A basic guide to building a web site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by happygal, Jul 23, 2009.

1. happygal

happygal Member

To date, I have only been a blogger in the online world...I have never had my own domain or site...but I am starting to think about moving down that road. Here is my question. And it's a silly one.

But I have never created a site. I get how to go and get the domain...but are there good turnkey sites that help you actually create a site?
  2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi HappyGal,

Just go to HostGator and open up the Baby Gator (multiple domains) account. They have a site builder and they also have free templates and tutorials.

~Newbie Shield~
  3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

You can get free web building software at NVU.com and you can get free web templates at OSWD.org - the trick is learning how to use them, but its not that hard at all with a little practice.
  4. Liquification

Liquification New Member

Building a website is not as daunting as you think. I used to think it was really hard but, learned with the right support and learning it's easy to crank out a few sites a week if you wanted to.
  5. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

I started from scratch in April 2009, with a little help from my partner
    & a lot of patience.
    I use Microsoft Frontpage to create & edit my website & find it's ease of use brilliant & use Dreamhost as my server & domain, again I find their support spot on & they resolve any issues very quickly !
    Both my editing suite & hosting company are being used by a couple of top UK marketers, so If it's good enough for them, It's certainly good enough for me !
    To finish my rule is - Keep it simple .........

Mark [​IMG]
  6. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello happygal,

I think the Hostgator option would be best long term.

If you want to get something up quickly, with no cost Weebly is great for that.
    There are videos on it also.

7. gowriter

gowriter Member

Websites don't quite work the same way as blogs. It's true that it's not as hard to build and put one together, but you've got do your keyword research right before starting it.

Each page has to be search engine optimized, and you need to make sure that you have enough content in it. People can have pretty websites that aren't even readable by Google.

So learn how to build one correctly, or else it would end up being a wasted effort.
  8. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

9. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

I can't recommend www.2createawebsite.com enough. Lisa (the site's webmaster) has has put together quite a few informative sites and a forum and, having been an internet marketer for years and years, she really knows her stuff. With 2createawebsite.com and she really speaks to the newest of newbies so no need to fear things going over your head or anything [​IMG].
  10. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

PS. Good sites above. You can also poke around on this site:

You might also purchase a best selling book on HTML and CSS. It's nice to have a hard copy handy.

You might even take a class either online or from a brick 'n mortar.

Whatever you do, understand that HTML and CSS should be counted among your best of friends if you are to take online marketing seriously. Master them both and they'll turn around and help you ;)

~Newbie Shield~
  11. shmeeko69

shmeeko69 Member

It so important to understand HTML & CSS codes & like you say will benefit you in the long run, once fully understood. Design comes into play & kind of becomes second nature the more you experiment with your editing suites & finally the most difficult nut to crack - Traffic, if only we could get loads of customers to our website easily ! You just have to keep chipping away & eventually the visitors & sales start to come.

Mark [​IMG]