A convoluted journey through time

Discussion in 'Meditation' started by broadland, Sep 12, 2007.

1. broadland

broadland New Member

The ancient civilizations - all of them - at some time recommended detachment from the world and meditation. Even today the monks in the monasteries of Europe and the Sadhus of India practice it. A little know fact is that a lot of people of Indian origin practice it too.
    The world of materialism took over and the practice sort-of died down. Then came the "medical advances" of the last 2-3 centuries and meditation as a health adjuvant was totally discredited.
    Then sporadically in the 19th century and more firmly in the 20th century came a rapid acceptance of meditation, first for mental peace and lately for all aspects og\f healthy. At the very least this is a healthy trend.

2. opendomain

opendomain New Member

i generally try to meditate, however I call it pray. I tend not to empty my mind, but fill it with a conversation between me and God.

3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Even 10 years ago, life in India was much simpler, but today at least in large cities, society is very materialistic. Meditation is forgotten by many

4. broadland

broadland New Member

At least in the Western affluent societies, meditation has become a fairly hot topic of practice and conversation. I look around the Libraries in big cities of Canada, and it is difficult not to notice some poster or other about meditation and yoga. People in the west still confuse these two.
    I also wanted to draw the attention of the readers to a very ancient and well-tried method of treatment of mind and body, and also to point out that it is not just a fad imported from the East, but a practice in many parts of the world over a long period of time.

5. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Quoting: pcworkEven 10 years ago, life in India was much simpler, but today at least in large cities, society is very materialistic. Meditation is forgotten by many

We have to get back to basics no matter what. The so called development of the present generation is creating riches but not peace of mind. All this running around has to come to an end and hence the growing interest of mediation in the west. It'll happen soon in India too [​IMG]

6. broadland

broadland New Member

In some respect, India is going in the opposite direction. Meditation has never been the main preaching in religion. It gained greater acceptance when for a short time India was predominantly Jain or Buddhist, but as other religious practices gained a wider acceptance, it was less practiced. However, interestingly meditation has always been a somewhat "revered" form of personal or religious practice and the dominant religion of India - "Hinduism", accepts it as a higher form of practice, but reserves it more for the Sadhus.

7. birdgirl

birdgirl New Member

I've known for a long time that meditation was the way for me to change my being. I've been dedicated to it for nearly ten months now. It is not always easy, but it has markedly improved my overall well being and I know the longer I discipline myself to it the greater the rewards will be. It will be good to keep losing desire and to just be.

8. RayvinAndRob

RayvinAndRob New Member

After many years of study and practice, I finally chose three teachers who, for personal reasons, seem to resonate with me more than any other.

I can't decide which one I like the best. At times, I prefer Ramana over Nisargadatta or vice versa. At other time, particularly when I am feeling a bit rebellious, I prefer U.G. Krishnamurti over the first two.

I used to meditate every day. Now it's rare that I do. It seems I've grown accustomed to go without it.

Do I miss it? Not really.

I don't need it anymore.

Maybe that was the whole point of all those years of meditation? Was it only to discover that it was all really pointless?

That question is rhetorical. It's for you to decide what's best for you. If meditation helps you, then meditate. If you find it a waste of time, then don't force yourself to meditate. You'll only get frustrated and quit.

Ah but like anything else, you must persist if you want to get anywhere. However, think about this: Where do you expect meditation to take you? Is there really somewhere to go? Aren't you there already?

Lovely questions. Lovely answers. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Like Solomon of old said, there is nothing new under the sun.

I'm merely a parrot, repeating what my teachers have taught me. I cannot come up with anything original to say. And so this is where I stop talking and shut up.

[​IMG]

To Your Success!

Rob Nyte

9. Vishal P. Rao

Quoting: TheGuildHowever, think about this: Where do you expect meditation to take you? Is there really somewhere to go? Aren't you there already?

Very true. If you expect meditation to take you somewhere, then its not meditation at all. There are other methods to do that - visualization, affirmation, positive thinking. Meditation is just being what you are and where you are.

10. broadland

broadland New Member

As you practice meditation more and more, it gets easier and easier to go deep into introspection and detachment.
    Does that mean that you stop because you have learnt it?
    I don't think so.
    I grew up doing meditation, because it was part of my prescribed daily prayer. The requirement was very flexible. I was told that it is desirable if I pray for 48 minutes twice a day, but if I could not I could do it much much less often. Out of these 48 minutes about 3 minutes were devoted to meditation. However there was a spare 30-32 minutes where I could choose to read or meditate or both.
    As age advances I tend to meditate more than I did. It gives tremendous inner peace.

11. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Vishal,

What is meditation? Is it spiritual advancement? Is it just a calming exercize? Is it a tool to focus your direction? Is is a drug to experience the inner worlds? Is it a tool to escape? A combination of the above? What is the main purpose? Why was it/is it revered?

NS

12. Vishal P. Rao

Hi NS,

For benefit of everybody. I have answered your question in the thread below:

What is Meditation

13. asebf

asebf New Member

Quoting: TheGuildLovely questions. Lovely answers.

There are no answers because there are no questions.

14. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Quoting: asebfThere are no answers because there are no questions.

That is true. I would say that what you have stated is the right attitude to take while you are meditating. That is true nihilism. Meditation is an attitide and a state of mind. You can only get the experience when you still the mind entirely. Meditation is an experiential science. You just still the mind and then you see.

That's what the song "Silent Night" is about. It implies that a still mind experiences the inner light - calm, peace, bright. It's like a sleep, but it is also more alert than wakefullness.

Nike says, "Just do it". Then you'll see.

[​IMG]

Newbie Shield

15. broadland

broadland New Member

.Quoting: Newbie Shield......That is true nihilism. ....

.... It implies that a still mind experiences the inner light - calm, peace, bright. ..... it is also more alert than wakefullness..
    I agree.
    Those who have not tried to experience it, or who give a casual glance at it, usually fail to see the inner bliss and the extreme wakefulness during mediation. You are not awake to just your surroundings, but to your whole existence. The only restrictions is that for the vast majority of us, the insight or knowledge of the past and/or future life does not come through. I have heard of some people knowing the past and future lives through meditation, but have not been able to try and question them or confirm anything, because these people either refuse to answer questions or are mentally so distant and aloof that they are not easy to touch or reach.

16. asebf

asebf New Member

Quoting: broadlandI have heard of some people knowing the past and future lives through meditation,

I am lucky enough to have met some people I have known before.

17. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: asebfI am lucky enough to have met some people I have known before.

Is there any special technique described or taught?

18. asebf

asebf New Member

broadland - there is no one thing or action that brings you to a heightened state. I am not there at present. I was approaching it at one time several years ago when I was deep in practice.

Once there, people around you that are nearing the same state recognize you. I was sitting in a hospital coffee shop when a guy walked by and I thought I knew him (Los Angeles -- not some small town) he came back to the table and we chatted briefly. The details are not important but we knew from common knowledge that we had crossed paths before - a very long time ago.

I believe we are all connected in some way from our past. We are all here to help each other learn what is needed to keep growing. Some learning is tough - but we all have to live through it.

Meditation and tapping the nothing can help you gain strength I believe.

19. aplina

aplina New Member

l have try meditation but have not be atrue follower

20. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: asebfwe knew from common knowledge that we had crossed paths before

If one believes in the theory of "Karma" and also knows of the soul migrating from one body to another, then it is not very difficult to accept that that unknown person who "fate has thrown" in your way, is nothing to do with fate, but a result of yours and his past karma. In other words, far from being a chance meeting, it is a pre-destined meeting based on your and his past karmas.