A couple of quick Q's , please

Discussion in 'Forum Usage' started by GDiMarco, Jan 21, 2012.

1. GDiMarco

GDiMarco New Member

I noticed that "Messages posted by new members are forwarded to the moderators for approval. Depending on the nature of posts made by a member, the moderator may place the member in pre-moderation queue. "

As a moderator of a large MLM Forum I can certainly understand why one might wish to do that. My hat's off to you as I know the effort it involves. Is there a fixed threshold where submissions no longer require approval or is that a subjective decision by the powers that be?

Also, out of curiosity, are the user levels I see with the avatars related to certain number of posts made or is there some other significance?

Thanks. I've dropped by here from time to time over the years as a lurker with intentions to register and finally decided to be a little more active. Hopefully I will be able to contribute to the content.

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Gery [​IMG] Sorry for the late reply! I wanted to reply but eventually lost track of it.

GDiMarco: Is there a fixed threshold where submissions no longer require approval or is that a subjective decision by the powers that be?

No there is no fixed threshold. They are approved subjectively based on certain criteria.

GDiMarco: Also, out of curiosity, are the user levels I see with the avatars related to certain number of posts made or is there some other significance?
    Here's how members are ranked:
    http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/member_ranking.shtml

3. GDiMarco

GDiMarco New Member

Thanks. Like the merit based ranking but you sure seem to make a lot of work for yourself. But if you're doing what you love then it isn't so bad.

Be Well!

4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

As a long time member here, I can assure you that Vishal does put a ton of work in moderating this site!

Because of the time difference, I often see the "new posts" in the forum checker before Vishal gets a chance to manually review them.

I really feel for him and respect the effort he puts in. Some days the amount of spam is staggering! [​IMG] It puts me off ever wanting to start a forum myself. [​IMG]

I'm not saying NEVER, but it would take a powerful motivation to make me give in!

I'm sure we don't say it often enough, but THANKS, Vishal!

Blessings,
    Angie

5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Sorry, Gery. I also meant to say "welcome to the forum" while I was at it. I'm glad you've decided to quit lurking and get involved. I'm sure you must have a load of experience you can share with us along the way.

Blessings,
    Angie

6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Welcome Gery! And I agree, Vishal is the best. [​IMG]

And Angie... we are moving to the midwest in about 3 days and I haven't done anything to my SBI sites for several months, except to do the 'audit' but they are on the upward again now and have been ever since the Oct Panda. I am a happy camper.

The alexa ranking on all three goes up a few notches every few days which I think is cool. Just had to shout that out to ya. And now I best get back to packing.... [​IMG]

7. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

happywife: I'm sure we don't say it often enough, but THANKS, Vishal!
    Very nice gesture, Angie!

Kudos indeed to Vishal for the dedication and consistent high standard he has established and maintains for this forum.

Those of us who have been here for a while have become accustomed to everything running smoothly and may be lulled into thinking that what goes on behind the scenes to pull it off is not very challenging.

In my opinion, that's simply a reflection of the level of attention our esteemed administrator has been applying for these many years to make the operation appear seamless. We are not the ones having to make the hard decisions so we have no idea how often Vishal may be resorting to pulling his hair. [​IMG]

Too often we get caught up in our own daily challenges that we don't give a second thought to what the next person may be experiencing, or even take a moment to consider their efforts.

And so, I join Angie in her public acknowledgement, appreciation and thanks to Vishal for founding and managing the Work At Home Forum. Well done, my friend!

Cheers!

Hermas

8. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Absolutely! I am right there with you and Angie, Hermas. We need to give a shout out to Vishal from time to time on the amazing job he does.

When I go to other forums, I am instantly reminded of how clean this forum is, and we are so grateful to the many HOURS I am sure you put in Vishal!

Kudos to one of the greatest wah forums and administrators on the net. [​IMG]

9. happywife

happywife Gold Member

mountainmom5: And Angie... we are moving to the midwest in about 3 days and I haven't done anything to my SBI sites for several months, except to do the 'audit' but they are on the upward again now and have been ever since the Oct Panda. I am a happy camper.
    Thrilled for you Viola! That's great news about the bounce back. Also, where are you moving??? Safe travels!

Blessings,
    Angie

10. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

happywife: Also, where are you moving???
    Wisconsin - closer to family and just a dream we've had for a long time come true. [​IMG]

11. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Excellent! Maybe some day I'll get to move back near family, too. [​IMG] Have a good trip and be careful on those roads, particularly at this time of year.

Blessings,
    Angie

12. Vishal P. Rao

Thank you Angie, Hermas and Viola for making my day [​IMG] I'm flattered!

GDiMarco: Like the merit based ranking but you sure seem to make a lot of work for yourself.
    Gery, when you are moderating the forum yourself, it isn't that difficult to identify quality members. Your instincts guide you.

happywife: Because of the time difference, I often see the "new posts" in the forum checker before Vishal gets a chance to manually review them.
    Thank you Angie for letting me know that. I may have to do something about it. Definitely not a pretty sight seeing so many spam, even if they aren't actually live!

happywife: Some days the amount of spam is staggering! It puts me off ever wanting to start a forum myself.
    It's only in this niche you get so much spam. I definitely would want to start another forum (It's one of the most satisfying online business). But definitely not in this niche [​IMG]

13. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Vishal P. Rao: I'm flattered!
    No flattery, just honesty! [​IMG]

Vishal P. Rao: Thank you Angie for letting me know that. I may have to do something about it. Definitely not a pretty sight seeing so many spam, even if they aren't actually live!
    Doesn't worry me in the slightest. I can only see the first bit of each one and can identify them for what they are, so it's not a problem. Just makes me appreciate you more. [​IMG]

Vishal P. Rao: It's only in this niche you get so much spam. I definitely would want to start another forum (It's one of the most satisfying online business). But definitely not in this niche
    Good point! I hadn't thought of that angle and I can see that you are probably right. I wouldn't attempt this niche either.

I was thinking more of the need for one on my health site because I'm starting to get a lot more visitor interaction and some of the pages are becoming excessively long.

I just don't want to do it unless I'm absolutely certain I'll have enough visitors to keep it from being a barren place. That would be sad indeed.

Hopefully I'll "know" when/if the time is right and have the courage to go for it in spite of my misgivings.

Blessings,
    Angie

14. Vishal P. Rao

happywife: I just don't want to do it unless I'm absolutely certain I'll have enough visitors to keep it from being a barren place.
    If you already have a thriving website, you must take steps to start a forum. Initially, yes, it'll be sort of barren. But once you start displaying forum threads on all the pages of your website (latest discussions), people will start flocking to the forum. Ultimately, that's what visitors need, interaction. Without interaction, the Net would be a very lonely place.

Don't let the thought of a languishing forum stop you from starting a forum. You never know until you start something. If it doesn't succeed, close it down. It's as simple as that.

15. happywife

happywife Gold Member

You've just about talked me into it. [​IMG] In fact, I've literally added it to my "to do" list. I love the idea of making the "latest posts" available site wide to entice visitors to get involved. Thanks for that tip! I can see how that would help the forum to grow more quickly.

Besides, you're right. If it doesn't succeed - no harm done. I can close that portion of the site down.

Thanks, Vishal!

Blessings,
    Angie

16. Vishal P. Rao