A joke I heard living in China

Discussion in 'Humor' started by DaveWalters, Jun 19, 2009.

1. DaveWalters

DaveWalters New Member

I have been living in China for a few years studying Chinese. Most of the jokes Chinese people tell me simply cannot be translated into English, but here is one that I heard which is pretty funny in English as well.

One day a man was walking down the street. Suddenly, in front of him, he saw a big, black, fierce-looking dog. The man froze and didn't dare move. There was a woman standing next to the dog. The man asked the woman, "Does your dog bite?" The woman replied, "no, my dog doesn't bite". At that moment, the dog leapt forward and bit the man. He was furious and screamed at the woman, "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!" The woman replied,"this isn' t my dog."

2. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Your joke highlights an important weakness about language and communicating in general. Too often we rely on our assumptions to fill in the gaps. That's why your joke works.

If I said: "Would you jump out of a plane without a parachute?" everyone would automatically respond with a resounding "No!" That's because they would naturally assume I was talking about a plane in flight.

But if the plane was parked on the runway and you could use the emergency inflatable chute, everyone would say the opposite.

Language is interesting, isn't it.

Hermas

3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

4. insikman

insikman New Member

hahaha! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. innerpeace

innerpeace New Member

That's a classic - I remember first hearing it in a Pink Panther film with Inspector Clouseau... quality stuff.

I wonder who invented the joke first... the Chinese or the film writers... or maybe someone else...

Hmmm...

Anyway, great joke, and good point well made by Hermas!

IP

6. DaveWalters

DaveWalters New Member

Hermas, excellent observation about language. It really is fascinating. Just to illustrate your point further, here is one of my favorite jokes that is very funny in Chinese but simply doesn't make any sense in English. Also, I was only able to understand it after about 3 years of intensive Chinese study. So here is the joke translated into English:

A flock of sheep is grazing on a grassland, guess a fruit: strawberry.
    Then a pack of wolves come, guess a fruit: waxberry
    On the grassland there was a flock of sheep and a pack of wolves, but the wolves didn't eat the sheep, guess a seafood: shrimp
    On the grassland there was a flock of sheep and a pack of wolves. The sheep bleated in fear but the wolves still didn't eat them. Guess a seafood: Lobster

Believe it or not, this is really celver and funny in Chinese! Interesting huh?

7. daniel

daniel New Member

I really love jokes that's full of humor....:lol

8. TJamMoneyMan

TJamMoneyMan Well-Known Member

A8ch: If I said: "Would you jump out of a plane without a parachute?" everyone would automatically respond with a resounding "No!"
    ACTUALLY...
    A TRUE story about the famously fierce GURKHA fighters from NEPAL.
    They are employed by the British Armed services, and their courage is beyond legendary.

ANYWAY...
    Looking for paratrooper volunteers, the question was put before them: "Who here is willing to jump out of an airplane?".
    They actually got quite a few volunteers.

One Gurkha, a little more 'courageous' than the rest, asked a serious question on behalf of those who abstained:
    "We are willing to jump also, but can we have parachutes?"

9. faye

faye New Member

A8ch: Your joke highlights an important weakness about language and communicating in general. Too often we rely on our assumptions to fill in the gaps. That's why your joke works.

If I said: "Would you jump out of a plane without a parachute?" everyone would automatically respond with a resounding "No!" That's because they would naturally assume I was talking about a plane in flight.

But if the plane was parked on the runway and you could use the emergency inflatable chute, everyone would say the opposite.

Language is interesting, isn't it.

Hermas
    Yes. This has to do with conversational maxims (Grice) and more generally, pragmatics of language. Basically, it means that whenever one says something, one also performs an act (Austin, Searle).

I like this example:
    "Could you pass the salt, please?"
    really means
    "Pass the salt."

The person asking this does not want to inquire about the capability of the person asked. Otherwise it would suffice for the latter to say "Yes" or "No" and do exactly nothing. The person asking also uses a request disguised as a question.
    (indirect and covert speech act)

Language is wonderful [​IMG]... it is so much fun to analyze why we say things the way we do.

10. katereber

katereber New Member

Haha, he don't even ask first if she is the owner of that dog.. so funny!! Nice one, it makes me laugh..

11. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

I didn't think it was that funny but it wasn't bad.

12. mbasa

mbasa Member

I find the dog joke very funny and I agree that there's alesson to be learn't there about making assumptions.