affiliate links hit or miss?

Discussion in 'Profit Lance' started by matth763, Nov 3, 2008.

1. matth763

matth763 New Member

Hey there,

When someone clicks through your affiliate link and goes to the merchant site, if they don't buy then and there but go back to the site at a later date, do you still get the commission?

Even if they bookmark the merchant site after following your link will any sale still be accredited to you if they access it at a later date?

I know cookies are stored to track things but most people delete their cookies at some stage. Is it realy a case of hit and miss?

Thanks for your responses!
  2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

matth763: When someone clicks through your affiliate link
    and goes to the merchant site, if they don't buy then and there but go back to the site at a later date, do you still get the commission?

It depends on the duration of cookie set by the merchant. In most cases, it's more than a month so you'll get commissions if the user buys it within that period, provided:

* The user doesn't click on any other affiliate link until he buys.
    * He doesn't clean up his browser cookies.
    * Some cookie stuffing doesn't take place in his system (I mean his pc [​IMG]).

matth763: Is it realy a case of hit and miss?

Yes and no. Though it really is a more of hit than miss case. Therefore it helps to target those merchants who have a followup system in place.
  3. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Affiliate programs are good for the merchant but publishers often send conversions which they are not given credit for.
  4. matth763

matth763 New Member

Does it matter if you delete your own cookies?
  5. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Matt,

It would matter if you wanted to give someone a commission because they turned you onto a good product that you are on your way to go purchase.

They wouldn't get credit for the sale.

Allowing someone to capture a commission is like thanking them for showing you something that you feel is worth purchasing. It's good form. I can't think of a reason why you would click on their link, but clear your cookies right before you make the purchase, can you?

~Newbie Shield~
  6. Twrestler07

Twrestler07 New Member

newbie shield... i'm not sure i understand.
    why delete my cookies before making a purchase? especially if their article really helped you...
  7. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Twrestler07: newbie shield... i'm not sure i understand.
    why delete my cookies before making a purchase? especially if their article really helped you...

That was exactly his point. [​IMG] You shouldn't delete them.
  8. Newbie Shield

happywife: That was exactly his point. You shouldn't delete them.

Hi Angie and thank you for clarifying the meaning of my commentary.

How's the new site coming along? Looking forward to checking it out :)

~Newbie Shield~
  9. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Newbie Shield: How's the new site coming along? Looking forward to checking it out [​IMG]

Ugh! I should have had it up and going by now, but I've just been swamped with other things that have taken precedence.

I've managed to get some of my keyword research done, etc., and I just need to carve out some time to do a half dozen pages to make a start.

I've been debating about uploading my own html with this site instead of using SBI's blockbuilder like I've done on my other sites. I can't seem to make up my mind.

There are definite advantages of uploading my own, but it's also so 'comfy' just to continue doing what I know how to do already. [​IMG]

I'd like a custom template, too, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that challenge.

(I did finally get those javascript codes working on my insurance site, by the way!)

Decisions, decisions...

Well, I'll let you know when I get the new site launched. I'm spreading myself a bit too thin. I hope I don't get so many things going that I don't do justice to any of them. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  10. Newbie Shield

Angie,

Hey, I understand entirely!

I'm about as far with my new site as you are with yours - domain reserved and some keyword research. I've got most of the main categories but I'll have to change the titles for demand and competition.

I haven't started any content yet either. I'm spread quite thin as well. Perhaps we can have a stress session via PM or email - feel free if you'd like to stretch yourself a bit more [​IMG]

The BlockBuilder has served you well so it's a good comfy zone to be in [​IMG]

I'm sure you'll do the upload jig when you feel good and ready. Then again...if you're not in a rush... :p

Hey, here's a joke to boost your spirits a tad:

What's the difference between "rude" and "gross"?

Rude is when you throw your underwear against the wall. Gross is when it sticks.

Good luck to both of us!

~Newbie Shield~
  11. happywife

happywife Gold Member

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has fallen behind on my best intentions. [​IMG]

Oh well, I'm determined to get it done, but I've decided not to beat myself up over when.

As you say, good luck to both of us!

Angie
  12. matth763

matth763 New Member

Ok so say people haven't deleted their cookies and everything is hunky dory,

what if you're like me and check out 20 other sites for a review of the product before I buy. So i may have potentially 2, 3 or 4 'click throughs' from affiliate links. presumably I will have a number of cookies.

So if i eventually buy the product then who gets the credit?
    The first site I visited, the last, or one in between?!
  13. Newbie Shield

Matt,

Most affiliate cookie tracking programs give credit to the cookie you first sucked in before you visit their site.

Only reason I have ever said otherwise is because some tracking and sales programs are off-the-beaten-path and/or mom-n-pops tracking progs. That's quite unusual though.

Rare mom-n-pops have their cookie flags within the buying series of purchasing pages. But rare is rare. The likely outcome is that if someone clicks on your link first and goes to the purchase site, you'll get the commission.

Don't worry at all [​IMG]

~Newbie Shield~
  14. matth763

matth763 New Member

cool, thanks. Have you been successful on the affiliate front?
  15. Newbie Shield

Matt,

You're welcome. Yes.

~Newbie Shield~