Alternating Anchor Text

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by payment proof, Jun 2, 2012.

1. payment proof Member

I've been doing a lot of reading about the Google Panda and Penguin Updates.

One thing I've read is to alternate your Anchor Text. In other words, use different Anchor Text for your links.

For example, if you post backlinks at 3 different places, use different Anchor Text at each place.

I've started switching up my Anchor Text to see what happens. Anyone else had good results doing this?
  2. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

That's one thing I have started incorporating now. Hope to see some positive changes.
  3. Laura Burke New Member

I don't think it's necessary to alternate from one to the next but definitely alternate batches at least. The important thing is that it looks natural, and it wouldn't be totally unnatural for a few backlinks in a row to be the same but after that they should change. And if people are building links to your site of their own accord because your content is fresh, original, and engaging, they will vary sort of automatically.
  4. payment proof Member

Laura Burke: I don't think it's necessary to alternate from one to the next but definitely alternate batches at least.
    I agree. I'm using quite a few different variations of Anchor Text now.
  5. talfighel Silver Member

payment proof: I've been doing a lot of reading about the Google Panda and Penguin Updates.

One thing I've read is to alternate your Anchor Text. In other words, use different Anchor Text for your links.

For example, if you post backlinks at 3 different places, use different Anchor Text at each place.

I've started switching up my Anchor Text to see what happens. Anyone else had good results doing this?
    Let us know how it works out for you.
  6. Sum Yung Ho New Member

Hi payment proof,

Yes, anchor text variation is critical.

Don't let any of it be 50% or higher.

Sum Yung Ho!
  7. FredReed New Member

inactive links and url mentionings are really good for alternating and helped me to recover.
  8. aaronbell New Member

this technique may be useful but not sure because google continuously updates its algo.
  9. gowriter Member

SEOMoz predicts that the importance of anchor text will die. Google's gotten more sophisticated and may use something like co-citation for ranking.
  10. jamess Member

Yes This is important that one should vary the Anchor Text in submission. And Google algos are also changing continuously so no one can predict anything.
  11. realworldmyth New Member

Make it look natural.

One thing that most people forget, is that most people who read your website are not technical people. So they might not even know how to use anchor text. Therefore, they are not going to go around keyword optimizing your links. That means you have to have a lot of links that are naked, meaning no anchor text, just the domain name. That way it really does look natural.
  12. amicof Member

That's absolutely key man! Thank you for bringing that up!
    Mixing your target anchor text with other semantically related keywords and also with the naked url is very important to rank fast and steadily. It's also important to create backlinks steadily and randomly but that's another story....
  13. Shane Martin New Member

Yes,

I've noticed a recent spike in my search engine results as a result of doing for for only 1 week. Another step to that is to vary the places that get you links from. Some people only get links from maybe articles, social bookmarking, and blog commenting. Forums and web 2.0 sites are also a good way to get your varied links out there.
  14. After the Google Panda and Penguin updates, the world of SEO has changed. The use of targeted keywords has been prohibited.

It is proven that those back links that use same keywords pointing to one page gets penalized. In order to get away from this restriction, we need to use a variety of keywords that is pointing to a page so it will look natural.
  15. Just2EZ Gold Member

I would go as far as alternating the landing page link also.
    The more pages you target the better off you'll be.
    Why give authority to only one page?
    Vary keywords AND links.
  16. payment proof Member

I absolutely agree. Any valid and relevant way to get your link out there can be a good thing, and possibly help with SEO as well.