Am I the One With Possible Background Noise Issue- Please Help!

Discussion in 'West at Home' started by ladysaw33, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ladysaw33

ladysaw33 New Member

Hello everyone, I just need some help on this one. I applied through West at Home when I was 5 months pregnant and new to Florida hoping to supplement our income and have something to do while I awaited the arrival of our baby. I didn't get hired until after the baby was born and I'm currently training for DirecTv. My problem is, I know they are strict on background noise and my baby is only a few weeks old so he doesn't have a pattern that he sticks to daily as far as sleep. Although I try to make a routine for him, it's pretty impossible with this little one. Is there another skill that would more suite me? I don't know what to do, but I'm sure I can't be the only one with an infant. I have an 8 year old too, but he is obviously more independent. Even when the baby isn't crying, he is alway 'cooing'.
    Thanks for any ifo.

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

LOL - I have four kids still at home so the only time I could do it would be from 2am - 6am and I am not willing to give up my sleep....[​IMG]

3. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Hi Toni,

West is pretty strict about background noise during phone calls. They moniter our calls. During your actual training, I dont think you will have a problem except during the webinar. But for mine, I just muted my phone for the call.
    Hope this helps[​IMG]

4. momof3boys

momof3boys New Member

Yes West is pretty strict...they want customers to think you are in call center so there can't be any background noise. I would just try to schedule yourself in 1/2 hr increments when you are sure the baby will be down for at least that. I also have 3 children 1 under 2 and a dog, so for me it works best to work at night when they are all in bed and there is nothing outside to distract the dog and make him bark. Don't worry you'll figure out a schedule that works for you..hang in there. Good luck[​IMG]

5. joeboxer337

joeboxer337 New Member

Its funny about the "background noise issue, I have had customers insist that I must be at home because of the lack of background noise!!!

6. shortylow2008

shortylow2008 New Member

yes all skills require no background noise. Lucky for me my children are 10 and 18 so when I go in my room and shut my door with the sign saying WORKING SSSHHHH they know not to be noisy. I also suggest doing 1/2 hours at a time. Too bad there are not headphones that only allow the person on the other end to hear the person on the phone. I'm sure it will all work out for you. You may have to become skilled in hitting the mute button.

7. ladysaw33

ladysaw33 New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone....I will give it a try and see what happens. Like you mountainmom, sleep is a precious commodity right now so I don't see myself giving up what liyyle I have. Thanks again guys.

8. ladysaw33

ladysaw33 New Member

I meant to say 'little' in my above statement. I'm typing w/one hand while holding the baby...

9. capricole

capricole New Member

I would get a noise canceling mic or a phone with a mute button always works well for me...that way you can hear the customer but they cant hear your background