Any GOOD mlms out there???

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by BHP, Oct 20, 2008.

1. BHP

BHP New Member

I am someone who has done a bit of research on the structure of a mlm, and the criteria for its success. Most (if not all) mlms focus more on recruiting people to join, rather than product focus. If there is product focus, I have found it to often be a front, meant to disguise the recruiting aspect of suscess.

I was curious if there are any mlms out there that fit these criteria...

1) Focus on sales of product more than signing up recruits (and reward members accordingly)

2) pay substantial bonuses/ commissions for product sales RIGHT AFTER YOU SIGN UP (meaning you can make money off commissions right away)

3) Have a QUALITY product at a COMPETITIVE price, which people either want or need

4) Company is willing to disclose average earnings for ALL members on any level.

5) Company doesn't have 97% or more of members losing money. (I'd settle for 50%)

6) Meetings for recruits disclose all facts and stats, and are not pressure events.

I was a member of an mlm, and I realized I could be a millionaire if I tried hard enough. The problem was, the product commissions were lousy, the product price was not competitive (though in demand), and the only way to make real money was to sign up a bunch of other people and let them do the work (and by work, I mean signing up other people).

However, I know that if I sign up 100 people, 97 of them will lose money and quit. I don't want that on my concience - I actually advised a friend NOT to join under us (there goes my $100 sign up bonus), because I didn't think that she would profit by it. And that was when I was still in the enthusiam mode!!

If there is an mlm that fits my above criteria, I wouldn't feel rotten about referring people to it. If I knew there wasn't statistical failure in their future, I would be much more gung-ho about recruitment. And if the product was quality, and affordable, I wouldn't feel bad about sales. As you can tell, my objects to the mlms are moral. I just can't refer people to a system that rips them off - no matter how far it will take me!

You could argue that people need to learn responsibility and do their research before signing up. I would counter that the meetings for recruits are high pressure, and misleading (member stats not shown).

In essence, I'm looking to see if there's an mlm out there whose members on average net a profit (I'm not talking getting rich - just not losing money).

Maybe I'm way off base, but ARE there any mlms out there that satisfy my 6 requirements??

Have a terrific day![​IMG]
  2. westfam11

westfam11 Member

BHp: ) Focus on sales of product more than signing up recruits (and reward members accordingly)

There is a company that the main focus is the customers. They get the customers from infomercials, print and radio advertising.

2) pay substantial bonuses/ commissions for product sales RIGHT AFTER YOU SIGN UP (meaning you can make money off commissions right away)

There is a company that when you join at the level with customers included you are paid on their purchases for life.

3) Have a QUALITY product at a COMPETITIVE price, which people either want or need

There is a company who has high quality products at a competitive price which have a very high reorder rate because the products work.

4) Company is willing to disclose average earnings for ALL members on any level.

When you are dealing with a customer based business model you cannot disclose average earnings because no one knows the buying habits of every single customer. Some customers order every month, some customers order every couple of months, some order once a year. If you purchase more customers you will have a higher income.

5) Company doesn't have 97% or more of members losing money. (I'd settle for 50%)

I haven't seen anyone quitting this company. If you come in with the customers already there, even if you take a vacation, when you come back your business is still there, making you money while you were gone because 1) The customers are still buying and 2) If you had recruited anyone they are making money also because they have their own customers that they are receiving the commission rights to for life and they don't have to quit because they are making money.

6) Meetings for recruits disclose all facts and stats, and are not pressure events.

This is up to each individual. Most of the Business Affiliates are working their business on-line or person to person not in a meeting situation. If they were, there would be no pressure because you can purchase your customers and the company back end markets 18 times a year to ensure reorders, this is a no pressure business.

Becky
  3. alexa

alexa New Member

BHp: 5) Company doesn't have 97% or more of members losing money. (I'd settle for 50%)

I think your first 4 criteria are very good ones, but this one's a bit of a problem, because that's not something you (or the company) can easily measure. You can't tell who's making or losing money without knowing what they're spending on their marketing. Someone with a $500 check can be making $400 profit while someone with a $2,000 check can be losing $400 because of what they're spending. Very difficult to judge!

BHp: 6) Meetings for recruits disclose all facts and stats, and are not pressure events.

Many companies these days don't have "meetings for recruits" so I think you need to pretty flexible how you define and measure this one, which is a bit subjective too. Really, this varies a lot from sponsor to sponsor, or group to group, within the same company and you can't necessarily judge the company by it.
  4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I have to agree with Alexa as a friend of mine makes several thousand a month with his mlm but he spends more than that on products and advertising...[​IMG]

You have some great questions there and you have a neat website so am guessing you are trying to help out others with your questions??

Which is great, as when I was researching mlms, I wanted one that paid just as good on the back end as the recruiting end and also one that I didn't need a gazillion people in my organization to make a thousand a month - my research did pay off as I finally found one.

I would be willing to say that they could answer yes to all of your questions, but am not sure about #6 - I know they have annual meetings but have not been to one yet so can't say on that one.

[​IMG]

Viola
  5. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

You could try checking out Cognigen.com - I don't know if they meet ALL of your criteria, but they are free to join, and you don't have to go to any meetings, although you can get involved in live teleconferences if you would like to..
  6. BHP

BHP New Member

Thanks for all the comments

I agree with alexa - marketing is a factor I hadn't taken into account, and not all mlms have meetings anymore. But, for those that do, I would like to see the meetings meet my criteria.

And I better say that the website isn't mine [​IMG] A friend referred me to it. The questions are also reflective of reading the site. However, I'm inclined to think that the site is bias against mlm [​IMG] I am honestly wondering if there is a good mlm out there.

getagrip - I like the 'free to join' idea, and if cognigen has a competitive price for equal service, it doesn't sound bad. It sounds as though there are different levels however, and I imagine if you move up a level there is some fee? Also, are there monthely fees?

I'm trying to look at it simple.
    -How much $$ will I have to pay (one time, and per month)
    -How easy will it be for me to earn my expenses back?

Something that is free to join and has no mothly payments (obviously) would be preferrable. Imagine the downline you could build if you could tell people they will pay absolutely nothing ever, in this mlm!! (or the sign up cost was like, $10)
    Even if the earning potential was 10$ a month with 200 people in your downline, it would be worth your time. Bottom line, your're not in the 97% losing money, if you aren't paying a thing.

Here's the problem - the product. The product has to be good enough to keep the business running without the mlm relying on the initial signup and monthly fees.

If the product was good, affordable and in demand, the use just by members in your downline could generate a small check for you. I am in the sciences - I don't have an economics background, and therefore don't know if this is possible.

As to marketing, that's something everyone has to figure out for themselves. You can put some investment into it, but getting a free website and registering w/ major search engines would be a start.

While in dreamland, I would like a new Nitro Bass Boat

Just a topic I though I'd throw out. I'm fairly new to the mlm idea, but have looked into several. Most fit a typical pattern, which I can't agree with.

Have a great day!
  7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

BHp: Something that is free to join and has no mothly payments (obviously) would be preferrable. Imagine the downline you could build if you could tell people they will pay absolutely nothing ever, in this mlm!! (or the sign up cost was like, $10)
    Even if the earning potential was 10$ a month with 200 people in your downline, it would be worth your time. Bottom line, your're not in the 97% losing money, if you aren't paying a thing.

Remember that the drop out rate is really high in 'free to get started' programs so you will have to sign up - like 200,000 people in order to keep an active 200![​IMG]

But I agree - online marketing is much more fun if you are not paying an arm and a leg on advertising.
  8. alexa

alexa New Member

BHp: Here's the problem - the product. The product has to be good enough to keep the business running without the mlm relying on the initial signup and monthly fees.

If the product was good, affordable and in demand, the use just by members in your downline could generate a small check for you. I am in the sciences - I don't have an economics background, and therefore don't know if this is possible.

Yeah, I agree with you here, too. The product is everything. If it's not in genuine public demand with longstanding sales volume to prove it, it's not a good business to get into.

It is possible to generate a monthly check - and not necessarily a "small" one - just from members in your downline being on autoship. But how common it is, is another question.
  9. alexa

alexa New Member

mountainmom5:
    Remember that the drop out rate is really high in 'free to get started' programs so you will have to sign up - like 200,000 people in order to keep an active 200!

Absolutely. You're never going to build an MLM business without commitment from your downline. And people joining a "free to get started" one have zero commitment, usually.
  10. Shelly Allen

Shelly Allen New Member

BHp: Here's the problem - the product. The product has to be good enough to keep the business running without the mlm relying on the initial signup and monthly fees.

I agree 100% Products have to be good enough dto keep the business running....with or without marketers!
  11. gelo04

gelo04 Guest

I have recently signed up with shop to earn. It is really taking off for me. They just had a conference here in Chicago I meet the President of the company this thing is for real!!!

All things that they have planned in the next few months will make this business explode I have one of the best uplines, I meet at lot of people there, and some of the people that were at the conference do not to be there.... By this I mean they are already rich with other local business that they have.

If you want to get in early with something this is it.

Good luck
  12. JTHeron

JTHeron New Member

There are some good ones out there, but they often don't like to be referred to as "MLM".

You can compare different programs by how long they have been in business and public interest at places like MLMRankings or Npros.

Be careful before you give any company your money. You need to know its not some fly by night organization, as over 95% of 'mlms' close in the first two years.

JT
  13. BHP

BHP New Member

From what I hear, it sounds relatively sound (shop to earn). One catch for the overenthusiastic, is that you have to buy/sell at least $100 a month of 'earth' products. If you are the salesman type, this could be for you. I don't like mlms with min. montly requirements for sales, however.
  14. BHP

BHP New Member

oh, and gelo04, your sites shop links seem to activate my spyware - might look into that -
  15. gelo04

gelo04 Guest

BHp:
    oh, and gelo04, your sites shop links seem to activate my spyware - might look into that -

Really,,, I did not know that. What are you using? I have AVG and it works fine on my computer without a problem.

Thanks for the heads up.
  16. luvtravel

luvtravel New Member

BHp: I was curious if there are any mlms out there that fit these criteria...

1) Focus on sales of product more than signing up recruits (and reward members accordingly)

Hi, don't know if you found what you were looking for yet BUT

I can say ...Yes to #1, and YES to #2 and Yes to #3

Trivita has a cooperative marketing program which means that they do all the marketing for customers and I get to acquire them (I can buy as many as I choose to) and reap the rewards !

Terri
  17. BeAChampion

BeAChampion Member

Yes, there are 1000's of great MLM's out there.

But it really doesn't matter what the product is, how great the comp plan is, but who YOU are.

If you know how to truly market and be YOU, then you will succeed in any MLM.

There are no magic MLM's that grow without you gaining and applying the knowledge and effort.

Tim
  18. Luckyfolks

Luckyfolks New Member

TheChampion is absolutely right, even MLM??s with measly products, strange marketing plans and weird leaders are working, because people in this MLM??s identify themselves with the products, the marketing plan and their leaders.

A good idea is to follow YOUR OWN intuition and how you identify yourself with the company, leaders, product and the marketing plan. Mostly in history people were following trends and so-called leaders and went totally wrong and failed.

Speaking from my own experience I failed in various MLM companies because I made the same mistakes probably everyone makes, I was blinded by scientific researches, the bla-bla of their leaders, big numbers, checks and testimonials and so and so forth.

I recently joined a MLM company only because of my intuition and the good feeling their leaders and directors gave me.

And I was right, because until now I only attracted like-minded high quality people which are eager to making a difference and change the lives of millions.

The product (the first non-consumption product?!) with its unique selling point fit in almost everyone??s personal and financial situation and is well-known all over the world since 5,000 years.

But even everything is good in any MLM, without your own effort and power, no MLM works.

so long...

Christian
  19. 2500PerDaycom

2500PerDaycom New Member

I don't think there any more good MLMs any more. I was in several in the past, but only very good MLMs!... I think making money with YouTube video are taking over now.
  20. timflowers

timflowers New Member

There are several new companies out there that are legitimate and most likely will stay in business for the long haul, but if you want to play it safe, any company that's been around for 5 or more years and hasn't racked up a ton of consumer complaints or threats from the FTC or FDA is probably a company at which you can build a strong business.

I'm talking about companies such as Nutronix, Shaklee, Melaleuca, NuSkin, Nikken, New Vision, Mary Kay, Herbalife, Xango, Mannatech, PrePaid Legal, and USANA, to name just a few. My apologies if I left out your company but I was just trying to give examples of the sort of long term, solid companies I'd feel confident to join.

Tim Flowers