any west at home agents here?

Discussion in 'Work at Home Moms' started by TrudyS, Sep 16, 2007.

1. treshay

treshay New Member

Quoting: firsttimemotherplease do you think westathome is a scam, i put all my personal information there and there is no reply

No it's not at all. If you have just applied and not recieved a reply that's because it does take some time, I think it was a few weeks before I heard anything. I'm part of a few communities now of people who work for West so rest easy, they're not taking your info and running. And good luck with your application!

2. georgiagin

georgiagin New Member

i'm a newbie to West too...finished my DR training yesterday and signed up for my first shift...should be Friday but I may pick up an earlier shift than that. I know i'll have tons of questions...just hope I can fumble thru the scripts ok. i'm georgiagin on yahoo if any of yall want to talk.

gina in GA

3. BigMomma

BigMomma New Member

I currently work for WAH, for DR.
    I cannot say that I am thrilled with this job, and today I sent in my resignition because I learned that DR only allows up to 40 hours per week, and only pays minimum wage.
    Has anyone else had a problem switching skills?

Or does anyone else work for another company like West that either pays better or allows over-time?

4. preciousday

preciousday New Member

I start working Wednesday and I am nervous. I've never worked for a call center. I'm afraid I'll screw something up and lose a sale. Is it pretty simple or will it be easy for me to mess things up. I feel like I'm going to forget something or forget everything...lol with my first call. Help!!! Tell me something positive. I'm a stay at home mom of a 4 month old and I really want this to work. I'll be working while her and my husband sleep. This will be a lifesaver if I do well, because I really want to contribute to our household financially, but also be able to stay home with my daughter as long as I can. I'm a first time mom and it's very very hard for me to be away from her, I really hope this works out.

5. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Hi, everyone
    I just want to share a few things with you all..I too work for West since, may 07 I have the sears skill and recently pass the Dr training so, I have both skills to choose a schedule from... To all that have not thought about this I know in the beginning it can be hard financially to rely on just one skill but my advice to you all is to try doing very well at your first skill. so, that you can get an invitation for a second skill see, weeks ago dr was paying 22-25per min it went down past two weeks I noticed so, I CHOSE hrs only from sears which is paying me now most hrs 19-22per rate when busy. and let me tell you sears is always BUSY DURING THE DAY. anyway my advice to you all is to apply to other home at work jobs is the only way to make more money less hrs. I recently applied for convergys and they hired me they are a little like west only better pays by the hr more money and differential pay/benefits. so, it out there please, do not set yourself stuck in one Company there are lots out there that are hiring right now just got to look thouroughly. any questions to all ask away k....
    RO

6. candlesms

candlesms New Member

Quoting: BigMomma
    I currently work for WAH, for DR.
    I cannot say that I am thrilled with this job, and today I sent in my resignition because I learned that DR only allows up to 40 hours per week, and only pays minimum wage.
    Has anyone else had a problem switching skills?

Or does anyone else work for another company like West that either pays better or allows over-time?

I wish you would have asked one of us before you just turned in your resignation! Those cannot be turned back! This is a very slow time. Downtime /buyers remorse hits every company! Even West. From January til about Valentines Day, people are catching up with their bills and credit cards and such. The pay gets better and if I remember correctly, Last year at this time it was just dreadful! SLOW. West pays more then minimum wage and also offers more then 40 hours a week. MOST weeks/months out of the year. Feast or Famine. The reason some of us do stay with it is because we have that knowledge that it does get better. I am sure I am not speaking only for me when I say I have seen well over thousand dollar paychecks bi-weekly after taxes even 1500 dollar checks. I work hard and every day even if it is only for one hour! If I am at the PC then I am working. No point in sitting here if I can be productive. Where I live now it is considerably lower minimum wage then it was in Florida. And there have been some recent past weeks where I have made barely over minimum wage. But with tax return time and the Holidays coming again, it gets better. I have worked almost as many hours (minus the overtime) and making considerably less. BUT in todays economy, without having to drive, pay gas, a babysitter, time in the shower and cooking that I can spare by doing laundry and working from home... I choose minimum wage for a few weeks til the feast sets in again. Take even 8-10 an hour OUT of the home... deduct taxes, car insurance, gasoline, lunches (BEING told when you can pee, smoke or eat) daycare and spending evenings only with my kids or working at night and not seeing them, which is the better of the 2 options? Good luck in your future ventures. And my best advice to all is stick with it. I was looking for other work at homes but decided against it. I turned down Convergys. (USE to deal with them in the real work force daily being a past Charter Communications Agent) I also decided that 20 hours at o ne and 40 at another isn't going to get me overtime pay. So I am sticking with one good one. Not saying that doesn't work well for others. But please everyone before you put in your resignation consider the alternative. Have a great night everyone!

7. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Hi Prescious day,

We can never denied that we are not a little apprenhensive on our first job whether out there out in the Corporate world or at home... I know exactly how you feel and so does everyone else posting a message ongoing on this forum we are all the same at a base level and perhaps further if you know what I mean, don't worry the jitters is something natural think like this-remember the first time you did something you thought was not possible and afterwards, found out it really was not hard after all! well, there you go this is the same for everything that entails fear...go gor it girl you can do this we all have to crawl before we walk. so, if you find yourself stuck guess what? that's what the policy/procedures and a pal is there for you are not going to know everything and they know that cause they were there too and one time. I HOPE this advice will help you quite a bit GOOD LUCK GIRL! If you gave birth to your wonderful baby you can do it anything you set your mind to do.

Sincerely,
    RO

8. candlesms

candlesms New Member

Hi RO,
    How are you liking DR? Is it what you thought it would be? Live Ops sent me another email for Hire... lol and guess what they are hiring for... lol Direct Response! Good luck with Convergys!

9. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Hi Candlesms,

To be honest I am thinking of resigning from dr skill I have sears and I KEEP hearing dr brings many headaches and well, truth is.... I DON'T THINK I want to deal with the fuss...I'm looking forward to either wait for another skill to be introduce to me and stick with sears cause I like sears skill, and continue seeking other part time job at home with another agency etc... I'll keep you posted with what I decide to do. I'm still undecisive and thinking before I OFFICIALLY give up that skill.
    RO

10. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Last week, I was offer a job to work for Convergys...but when I found out I had to give up my weekends! I said hell no lol!! anyway, same way I GOT that offer I will get others. I'm always seeking for a better opportunity I DON'T BELIEVE anyone should stay stuck in one position that may work for others but not for me. I am way too open minded and just know I HAVE the ability to increase my earnings. I'm not going to leave WEST I truly enjoy working for WEST. BUT I NEED to supplement my income and that's exactly what I'm trying to do and then keep West as my part time job to make extra money. Hope this helps...
    RO

11. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Candlesms guess what this is so ironic... the skill I was to start working at Convergys was also DIRECT RESPONSE! LOL you know I'm thinking West eventually will lose this contract cause that is two agency binding a contract with direct response and that sounds scary so...I'm thinking really now to give up that skill. I don't want to deal with the headaches lol!
    RO

12. preciousday

preciousday New Member

Quoting: rsolerHi Prescious day,

We can never denied that we are not a little apprenhensive on our first job whether out there out in the Corporate world or at home... I know exactly how you feel and so does everyone else posting a message ongoing on this forum we are all the same at a base level and perhaps further if you know what I mean, don't worry the jitters is something natural think like this-remember the first time you did something you thought was not possible and afterwards, found out it really was not hard after all! well, there you go this is the same for everything that entails fear...go gor it girl you can do this we all have to crawl before we walk. so, if you find yourself stuck guess what? that's what the policy/procedures and a pal is there for you are not going to know everything and they know that cause they were there too and one time. I HOPE this advice will help you quite a bit GOOD LUCK GIRL! If you gave birth to your wonderful baby you can do it anything you set your mind to do.
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. Well I've only worked 1 hour total so far. I worked one half hour here and one half hour there. I got a lot of calls which only 1 or 2 were real. All the others were ghost calls or prank calls. It was horrible the first time and the second time I was more relaxed, but still didnt get any real calls. The 2 calls I got that seemed real, one I got disconnected from and the other was logged as customer service. Now I plan to step it up to an hour or more. I think that at night the crazies tend to call...lol. I'm going to try to get in some hours during the day when I can. I tried today, but there were network problems and I couldn't start work. We will see what happens. Hopefully things get better. For the ghost and prank calls, I thought something could be wrong with my phone, but when I called a pal, they heard me and i heard them, plus I did get to calls where the person heard me. Hopefully the problem is not on my end. The icons they show your connection and all that stuff showed everything was good. Well I'm not so much nervous anymore after answering a bunch of prank calls...lol. I just want to get good at this and I can't if pranksters keep calling[​IMG]

13. preciousday

preciousday New Member

Excuse my mispelled words please. I've had a long day..............[​IMG]

14. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Candlesms, I'm also thinking if Convergys, Alpine Acess and West have a Contract with Direct Response that now explains why the min per rate has gone down with west. Obviously more people working for DR makes sense not to pay more. Anyway I was told from the HR DEPT from convergys that they just signed up with Direct response two weeks ago and is brand new to them. So, that's the reason I don't like to stay stuck with one thing because things do change overnight, and to me it makes sense to be secured with second job to fall back on. I'm going to drop DR TODAY. I already have sears and I'm looking for something else so I CAN keep west as a part time they don't pay what I need. I have to literally work too much to get a decent pay.

15. candlesms

candlesms New Member

RO, you are right in that thinking. I didn't know Convergys just got DR... oy
    So maybe I will do that too, so all my eggs are not in one basket. Funny thing tho when we did our training, I was sure our training specifically stating something about Dr being a WEST thing, so is WEST contracting other companies? Or is DR a separate company doing business contracted by WEST? I am getting frustrated too, but I stay with it only because I know I meet WEST criteria, I do a good job and I know what to expect and what WEST expectations are. I am kind of afraid to do DR with another company and then figure out that they have different expectations and guidelines to follow. (NOT that I can't follow them BUT that different companies, different rules... habits from one job follow to another, maybe even bad ones which may be why DR is contracting others in the slow time of year. Never know. But Convergys for me is out, I work weekends because I want to, I won't because I have to! lol.

16. rsoler

rsoler New Member

Candlesms,
    DR is separate company contracting with others like WEST etc...and it looks like they are expanding too much probably to pay less and lower there budget. If it's the only skill you have you should keep it I suggest go ahead and keep looking elsewhere and keep west as your part time job. It's just too fluctuating for me one week they have high min per rate next week they throw low per rates...hard to budget that way. I keep realizing that on days the min rates are high later on that same day the calls slow down so, basically...I'm not earning a lot of money just a little above min wage when I ADD it all up anyway....as I SAID before it will end up as my part time unless they throw me an invitation skill making hr wage or steady increase min per rate. I hope I have not confuse you lol[​IMG]

17. tucker6

tucker6 New Member

I have a question for anyone who works for West @ Home. I applied on 1/23/08, got hired, and completed the pperwork, but haven't heard anything else from them. Is this normal? I have sent emails, but with no response. I am ready to get started, but I had no idea it would take this long. Please help!!!!

18. Dneeser

Dneeser New Member

Hi there, I work with West, I have only been with them a few months and just finished training. You mention that you work with Virgin Mobile, is that with West? and if so... how do you get new skills such as that? I am doing the DR and its just not me. I like having one set account so to speak... thanks for your time!

19. kimberleyj

kimberleyj New Member

Hello everyone!!!!Well my story is basically the same I did my first call session today and I was aaawwwfffuuuullll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been so long since I've done my training and actually been able to log on I basically forgot everything. I didn't remember how to do anything. I hope they give me a chance and let me get use to the system before they just get rid of me. I know I can do this I just have to get use to this.[​IMG]

20. kimberleyj

kimberleyj New Member

I wish they had like a little refresher course available!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]