Become a web writer

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by wahmom, Dec 12, 2007.

1. wahmom New Member

If your good at putting words onto paper why not try your hand at writing articles for residual income.

I just joined these 2 sites and so far it's a lot of fun.
    associatedcontent.com
    and also
    helium.com

Helium has a marketplace where you can submit articles for publishers to review, if your article is selected you can earn anywhere form $20 - $200 not to mention the exposure you will get.

They also have on going weekly writing contests and they are not as hard as you might think to win!

Just some ideas for those of you struggling to find what works for you.
  2. happywife Gold Member

Thanks for sharing some helpful tips. I think those are pretty good ideas for people starting out who don't want to spend a penny on building their own site.

To your success. [IMG]
  3. aplina New Member

l have wrtitten some artricles but have submitted then to directory , do you think l can use them
  4. pcwork New Member

How much does Helium pay?
  5. getagrip Gold Member

I knew about Associated Content, but not about Helium - thanks for the info!
  6. Richie_N New Member

By the way... you forgot to mention eHow.com [IMG] If you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask me here. It's a great How-To resource site, which means that a lot of people are looking for articles surrounding that theme. Plus, you can't write what you know and it's a cinch to write the articles because the nature of the articles are instructional How-Tos. Give it a try, and as said before, feel free to ask me any questions. If you want to check out the site, there is a link in my signature [IMG]
  7. dmitch31 New Member

You can also write articles reviewing Clickbank products. If someone reads your article and clicks through your link to the product, you can get a commission on the sale. I know it may not really sound like a writing job, but for those of us doing affiliate marketing and using free marketing methods, it definitely is a writing job!
  8. Homeboy New Member

Oh wow, thanks for this, I'm gonna go check them out! [IMG]

If I may ask, have you made much money from this yet?
  9. Daisy Renee New Member

Ritchie_N, I would absolutely LOVE to write for eHow.....but I'm Canadian and your site indiactes that you have be a resident of the United States. Is there any way around this requirement? If not, do you know of any other sites just like eHow that are open to Canadians?
  10. aplina New Member

Quoting: Richie_NBy the way... you forgot to mention eHow.com If you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask me here. It's a great How-To resource site, which means that a lot of people are looking for articles surrounding that theme. Plus, you can't write what you know and it's a cinch to write the articles because the nature of the articles are instructional How-Tos. Give it a try, and as said before, feel free to ask me any questions. If you want to check out the site, there is a link in my signature

yes ehow is good way to make money.the only problem is, you have to be in the U.S.A to get paid
  11. quilt_freak New Member

I signed up at ehow & have several ideas to write about but how does it work? Do you make money when people go & read yours?
    Trudy
  12. VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Thank you I will definately check eHow out!
    Once you get going, writing can actually be a lot of fun!
    One good relevant article can produce income for a very long time!

Victoria
  13. jschuman New Member

Once you start getting published online and making some money with a few of listed sources above, consider becoming a ghost writer for other webmasters.

There really is no limit as to how much money you can make writing, website content and blog articles. It's a matter of getting your name out there, and building your business.

Our article writing company currently grosses over $50,000/yr. and was started from scratch by posting in discussion forums, just like this one. We have never done any paid advertising at all and have worked off of the referrals and forum posts, so I know it can be done.

Ghost writing is in wide open market, even today.
  14. otiose New Member

Hmmm...

Let me present a set of lenses for you to examine this topic.

I come from a background of many years as a freelance journalist for the print media. I was fairly well paid for my efforts.

But it's so often a different story for those wanting to take on-line assignments.

At the risk of raining on someone's parade, I have to point out there are thousands of web writers who work for incredibly low rates. Their numbers increase weekly.

I'm talking here of just $1 or $2 for articles of around 400-500 words.

Translate that into an hourly rate...Even if you could churn out three or four unique, well-written and interesting articles every hour.

But, you see, in some English-speaking countries $30 or $40 a week is excellent money.

Mind you, the standard of writing is sometimes quite dreadful, but that doesn't worry many site owners.

They just want to keep the search engines happy and to keep their site(s) creeping up the hit-lists with regular, new content. And they will pay as little as possible, thank you very much.

There is intense competition amongst the very competent writers for the better paying jobs.

I'm not saying 'don't'. What I am saying is go into it with your eyes open. Keep your expectations realistic.

And unless you are already trained as a wordsmith, or you are naturally talented and competent. then you're unlikely to get into the decent money.

Finally, spelling, grammar, punctuation, correct syntax, internal flow, logical sequencing and tone DO matter. This is essential knowledge if you are to be taken seriously as a writer.

If you don't know what I'm on about here then writing is NOT for you!

If you can't tell if a dog wagged it's tail, or if it wagged its tail (and you really don't care either way) then writing is DEFINITELY NOT for you!

Otherwise you'll just contribute to 'web rot' in which the Internet is collapsing under the weight of shoddy, incompetent, poorly written, rubbish sites.

And you wouldn't want to be partly responsible for that...would you?

Fortunately, there are still enough writers and site owners around who realize that correctly written documents and content are of vital importance, if they are to do themselves justice in a very public arena. And they keep me busy, I'm pleased to say. [IMG]
  15. plugandplay New Member

Writing articles can be a great way to earn money at home.

Service such as Elance.com put together people wanting articles, website content, ebooks, etc., who post their project (their needs) and then writers who are selling their services bid on the project.

I've used Elance myself numerous times to help me find someone to write some articles for me.

Once you start writing for people they usually need more written in the future and if you did a good job the first time, they come directly to you in the future... thats what I do
  16. BillyPilgrim New Member

I have some AC articles published. They pay very little. You make a lot more money with article marketing.

BP
  17. PennyWise New Member

Another route to try for writing work is browsing through Craigslists jobs section. There are a lot of ezines and websites looking for Freelance writers.
  18. homewizz Guest

GAF is another good one and is International, so you can sign up with them from wherever you are in the world! They pay via Paypal.
  19. PennyWise New Member

GAF? The best match I found on a google search is Get a Freelancer, is that what you're talking about?

Another couple of options are
    eLance.com and
    Guru.com (Guru can be a mess to deal with on the basic free plan. I found it difficult to search for jobs that were even open to basic plan members.)
    Maybe someone else will have better luck, though
  20. amylaine New Member