Bereavement syndrome

Discussion in 'Stress Management' started by broadland, Sep 21, 2007.

1. broadland

broadland New Member

People are aware of the acute stress and anxiety and shock with any bereavement. almost everybody gets it after loss of a beloved and we console the person as much as we can and then the person affected gets better with time.
    It is not always so.
    Delayed symptoms from bereavement occur often 8-20 months after the event and appear as psychosomatic symptoms, such as stomach upset, or weakness and can become a diagnostic nightmare unless the physician is aware of this

2. pcincome

pcincome New Member

I have an associate I had a conversation with recently, could tell she was way off focus and something just wasn't right. It ended up that her father (who passed 4+ years ago) was weighing heavily on her mind for personal reasons. Yes, there are can be occasions where the loss of a loved one brings back memories that cause depression. I don't know exactly for sure how good our conversation was for her expect I will say that these last few weeks she's been "on fire" so something's going right again.

Karen Umstattd

3. broadland

broadland New Member

Quoting: pcincome...... I don't know exactly for sure how good our conversation was for her expect I will say that these last few weeks she's been "on fire" so something's going right again.

One of the best and often unrecognised psychotherapy is conversation with a good friend or loved relative.