Best way to write a domain name

Discussion in 'Web Design and Hosting' started by juno44444, Jan 21, 2007.

1. juno44444

juno44444 New Member

I am wondering, if I find some good keywords, let's say the keywords are "old rustic furniture" - which domain name would be better, for SEO purposes?

www.oldrusticfurniture.com

or

www.old-rustic-furniture.com

?

2. MktgGold

MktgGold New Member

Without the hyphens will work better for SEO purposes. Although the content of the sight and other things (like links) will have more bearing on search engine results. If you want the words to stick out you can type it with caps in your marketing like: www.OldRusticFurniture.

3. netjobs

netjobs Member

Both are ok, but preferably use this one.. www.old-rustic-furniture.com

4. pcwork

pcwork New Member

With hyphens you could lose some type in traffic.

5. MktgGold

MktgGold New Member

I've heard Armand Morin say it will rank better in the search engines if the name of the keyword you're optimizing your site for is in the domain name itself, and that it works better without hyphens.

6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Today's search engines can decipher every word in a domain name. So whether or not it's hyphenated probably makes little difference. However, there are situations when a non-hyphenated domain name could be misread.

Example: There is a Web site named Who Represents where you can locate the name of the agent that represents any celebrity. Their domain name is whorepresents.com. Do you see the possible embarrassing confusion?

Here's another: Pen Island - they claim to be the best place on the Internet to get a custom made pen. Their domain name is penisland.net.

Any confusion could be avoided by writing each word with a capital letter, as in WhoRepresents.com or PenIsland.net.

For all practical purposes though, it is easier to remember and type a non-hyphenated domain name. With a hyphenated name people will sometimes forget to include the hyphens and you will lose traffic to another site.

Perhaps you should get both names, then redirect the hyphenated domain to the non hyphenated domain. The cost of registering and hosting a domian is cheap enough to make that feasible.

This way you'll enjoy the benefit of both worlds.

Hermas

7. MktgGold

MktgGold New Member

Hermas,

Fantastic post, great information plus I got a great laugh out of it [​IMG]

8. juno44444

juno44444 New Member

Haha! Thanks, if you are still around! I wish this forum would notify me by email when I get answers ... but this is great advice. Haha.

Oh - now I can subscribe to be notified of answers! Great improvement to the forum!

9. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Quoting: A8chExample: There is a Web site named Who Represents where you can locate the name of the agent that represents any celebrity. Their domain name is whorepresents.com. Do you see the possible embarrassing confusion?

Here's another: Pen Island - they claim to be the best place on the Internet to get a custom made pen. Their domain name is penisland.net.

OMG! That is frickin' hilarious!!!!!

Newbie Shield

10. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

People are more likely to remember URLs without the hyphens.

11. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

A8ch is correct. The search engines can read either version equally well. For this purpose, either version is fine.

For the purposes of avoiding confusion on names such as Pen Island (penisland) and for long names such as Work-at-home-forum, it is better to use hyphens (dashes).

For shorter names with no confusion issues, I suggest not using a hyphen.

The later two tips involve human searchers whereas the former involves search engines.

Newbie Shield

12. juno44444

juno44444 New Member

Yes I get it.

13. lyndaKu

lyndaKu New Member

Hi,

You should register both domain names, to keep your competiton or future competition, from registering a domain name that draws customers to them instead of you.

It really doesn't matter which one you use, as all website traffic is obtained through your branding & marketing efforts.

If you point more then one domain name to a website, you can run the risk for duplicate content penalties with the major search engines, both sites may loose any rankings you obtain, or worse be dropped altogether.

I hope this helps,

14. juno44444

juno44444 New Member

Thanks!

Do you know how I can figure out how to do this? Is there a URL with instructions? When I got to the Wordpress site I was a little confused ...

15. lyndaKu

lyndaKu New Member

Do you know how I can figure out how to do this? Is there a URL with instructions? When I got to the Wordpress site I was a little confused ...

After you register your domain name, you will have to configure the DNS settings to point to your hosting account.

- Your hosting company should provide you with your server settings:

Example of Server Settings:
    dns1.nameserver.com
    dns2.nameserver.com
    or
    ns1.nameserver.com
    ns2.nameserver.com

These settings are not your domain name, but the name of the server where your hosting company stores your website files.

- Go back to the company where you registered your domain name, and and change the DNS Settings to your hosting companies nameserver settings.

- Some Domain Registration Companies will not allow you to make the changes yourself, but if you call them they should do it for you.

A good place to learn about all aspects of website development is webmasterworld.com. I am not affiliated with them in anyway, but they provide a wealth of information.

I hope this helps, and that I didn't confuse you anymore.
    Lynda

16. cupbucket

cupbucket New Member

without hyphens

17. Homeboy

Homeboy New Member

Hyphens increase readability IMO.