Can I survive by sleeping only 3 hours a day?

Discussion in 'Productivity and Motivation' started by samda, May 25, 2010.

1. samda

samda Member

People of this forum,

I need your help / suggestions / tips in my decision. I have decided to sleep only 3 hours per day and work all the other time.

I have a day job of almost 12 hours a day, and because of this time schedule, I am unable to spend time on my business which I feel is my future is.

I will follow this exercise for the next three days and will resume it after a week (On a vacation, can't follow this rule). I will update this thread and let me see how I can keep holding this.

I am sure, this might have adverse effect on my health, I am planning to nulify this by having healthy food and fruits.

Your tips and advices please....

2. ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph New Member

Hi Samuel,

You can survive but your life will suffer. Sleep is when your body recuperates. It keeps the mind fresh.

Some get by on 4 - 5 hours but I feel 6 - 8 is the way to go. You generate more creative ideas and will work less when you've received enough sleep. You aim for 3 hours because you don't have enough time but with a few creative ideas you make more money in less time. Less time working = more time sleeping.

Without enough sleep every aspect of your life suffers. Health fails and without health you're miserable. You might be digging an early grave too.

Take it from a guy who's worked 100 hour weeks and 26 hours straight at times. It ain't worth it. Diminishing Returns.

Ryan

3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

samueldarwin: I am sure, this might have adverse effect on my health, I am planning to nulify this by having healthy food and fruits.
    If you are not meditating regularly, deep sleep is the only way of connecting to your self (energy). You can live without food for couple of days but not without sleep. During deep sleep, you get tremendous amount of energy that only experienced meditators can get during waking state.

Try it if you want for three days but I'm sure you'll regret it.

Health is wealth, and nothing can change that as long as you are alive.

4. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

I think Ryan covered it pretty good there.

You will be more productive with a healthy amount of sleep.

As far as the United States Army is concerned... You only need 4 hours of sleep per night to be at your prime.

Keep us posted on how you do!

Matt

5. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I think 3 hours isn't enough, at least if that's all you are getting day in and day out. Its not bad if you do this occasionally, but every day is too much. I'd say you would be much better off with 6 hours of sleep, which still might not be enough, but but still much better than 3 hours. Also, with regards to spending all of your spare time working - there is more to life than money. Sometimes, those who have great wealth are totally unhappy, while those who have little are very happy, so that is something to keep in mind. Don't waste all of your spare moments on work - you will miss out on life! [​IMG]

6. sidney

sidney New Member

Hi Samual,

I agree 100% with Vishal there.

When I was meditating deeply twice daily, four hours would be good enough,

Even the sleep was deeper and more healthy. But bear in mind this took over three days to come into effect first. So you may find that to try it out for only three days will bear no fruits other than great tiredness.

Best Wishes to you.

Sidney

7. Sonni

Sonni New Member

You might be able to keep this up for a while, but eventually your body and or mind will force you to rest or sleep more.

8. francisco81

francisco81 New Member

I personally have worked online 20 hours a day. You can't keep up this pace for too long. pretty soon your just sitting infront of your computer not doing nothing. rest good and work hard is my advice

9. gingerva

gingerva Guest

Hi Samuel, I agree with Ryan on the heath effects of not sleeping. You will not be at your personal best so you will be compromising not only your health but the work that you are doing. You will "burn out."

Why are you only sleeping 3 hours a night? You can easily build a very successful business and replace your income in 3 years working 10-15 hours per week part time.

Since you work 12 hours a day, that leaves 12. You could work 2 hours on your second business, have 2 hours for family and yourself leaving 8 hours per day to sleep. Here is a possible schedule for you -

7AM-7PM Job
    7PM-8PM Family
    8PM-10PM Second business
    10PM-11PM Time for self
    11PM-6AM Sleep

Hope this helps you - get some sleep!

Ginger Hogue

10. Elur MLM

Elur MLM New Member

You should really get some sleep. 6 hours at least!

11. mjsellars

mjsellars New Member

I agree with almost everything everyone else has posted.

To add something:

It's not about the time you spend on your business, it's about the quality of your activity. Two hours spent on your business when you are focused, disciplined and full of energy is going to be far more effective than several hours when you feel tired, tetchy and disorientated.

Your business needs you fresh, healthy and fully-engaged.

12. fpullman

fpullman New Member

samueldarwin

Hi Samuel,

to add a little to an already good bunch of advice, I have found through personal experience that internet marketing develops very slooooooowly when the operator is sleep deprived.

The first thing that happens is you start to spend longer at the computer as you keep nodding off... so it takes longer to do less!!!!

And another thing, lack of proper sleep ALWAYS makes you grumpy. Trouble is we bite those nearest and dearerst to us, and boy oh boy, what good is this new-found freedom and wealth if you have no one to share the experience with.

Keep your happy smile and keep your friends and family, strive for balance and progress steadily.

A little often will get the job done.

13. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

mjsellars: It's not about the time you spend on your business, it's about the quality of your activity. Two hours spent on your business when you are focused, disciplined and full of energy is going to be far more effective than several hours when you feel tired, tetchy and disorientated.
    I agree!

Vishal P. Rao: If you are not meditating regularly, deep sleep is the only way of connecting to your self (energy).
    This is true!

Sam, it is during deep sleep that the body repairs itself from the day's stresses and restores balance. If you're going to be pushing yourself for 21 hours a day, 3 hours sleep is not going to be sufficient for the body to recuperate. You'll be doing yourself more harm than good.

An alternative approach would be to figure out a way to manage your waking hours more efficiently. It's about the quality of time you spend building your business, not the number of hours you are busy.

Plus, don't you want to be happy and healthy when you succeed, so that you can truly enjoy the fruits of your labor? [​IMG]

Hermas

14. sarauk

sarauk New Member

I use to sleep 8 hours and more but now I only sleep 6 hours and feel it is just enough, and feel more refreshed than sleeping longer but 3 hours is too short. I agree with the others you will not be productive with sleep deprivation.

15. JoeRollin

JoeRollin New Member

Hi Samuel,
    not a good thing to do when your tired you tend to make a lot more mistakes chances are you could hurt yourself or somebody else by depriving yourself of sleep

16. debacled

debacled New Member

When my kids were babies, I had to get by on very little sleep - 4 hours per day for an extended period during the up all night baby phase - and after a couple of weeks of that, I could really tell that my cognitive abilities were suffering. I think you can get away with very little sleep for quite but it won't be higher functioning by any means.

17. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

In about 5 days, tops, it will catch up with you. I know. You probably need to come up with another plan.

18. hummingbird81

hummingbird81 New Member

Hi, Sam! I see a lot of useful tips here [​IMG]

I only would like to add that I understand your situation.
    I stay at home with little baby - it's work 24/24 [​IMG]

I don't sleep much, but I know that 3 hours is not enough to keep mind and body in good condition or work effectively. Better than planning how much time you are going to sleep, is planning how much time you are going to work. I can work only 3 hours a day in early morning, so I need a very exact plan. And I think you need the same. Set goals for every day and plan your work and don't try to do everything in one day. After some time you will see that you don't need 8 hours of work a day but much less. It's not about quantity but about quality. One hour of well organized work is better than 3 hours of reading emails or surfing without purpose...

I wish you success in your work [​IMG]

19. fixaprob

fixaprob New Member

i think we have to take sleep 6 to 7 hours...it can make us healthy.....

20. kenwrites

kenwrites New Member

3 hours of sleep is not going to be enough. Maybe for two or three days, but eventually you will "crash". I would set out a goal chart. Look, if you are working 12 hours a day AND building a business....my hats off to you. That is amazing and you are an inspiration. But with that means building your business slower.

Set daily (nightly) goals. Set Weekly goals and monthly goals or your business.

Add some extra time into your business during the weekend without taking too much time away from family. maybe get up a little earlier Saturday or Sunday.

Get your rest. Your mind and your health need rest. I know it can seem difficult, been there done that. But in the end nothing more gets done when we burn ourselves out. The tasks we attempt take twice as long as when we have had the necessary rest our mind and body needs. Just keep building on the business on a daily basis...you'll be able to replace that outside 12 hour job before you know it. [​IMG]