Cooking Businesses?

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by DonnaA, Aug 3, 2009.

1. DonnaA New Member

Anyone done the personal chef thing?

How about the meal solutions thing?

Thanks,
    Donna
  2. mountainmom5 Gold Member

I am not - but it does sound interesting. Is that what you are doing??[IMG]

Welcome by the way.[IMG]
  3. yahia Member

4. Newbie Shield Gold Member

Special request = please be a vegan chef.

Besides, competition is relatively low.

Thanx,

~Newbie Shield~
  5. DonnaA New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I have tried personal chefing for nearly two years. I really had a hard time reaching people who wanted me to cook for them. I'm thinking about coverting over to a 'meal solutions' business. I had someone send me some information and it looks like a better fit for me. They cook for old people, people dieting, and medical diets.

@ Newbie Shield - these people seem like they could do vegan meals, they seem to focus on local and organic ingredients.

I just really want to find a way to stay at home with my kids and still make a living. These people swear that is how they have been living for years.

Hopeful.
    Donna.
  6. BobFirestone New Member

I had a buddy in college that was a personal chef to make extra money. He started only doing a high end dinner parties, I almost choked when he told me what he was charging. It helped that he had his degree from the Culinary Institute of America and had worked in some of the top kitchens in America.

When he got bored cooking for dinner parties. He found a nutritionist and setup a deal to do private cooking classes to teach some of her clients how to prepare healthy and tasty meals that met their dietary requirements.
  7. Singapoor New Member

BobFirestone: I had a buddy in college that was a personal chef to make extra money. He started only doing a high end dinner parties, I almost choked when he told me what he was charging. It helped that he had his degree from the Culinary Institute of America and had worked in some of the top kitchens in America.

When he got bored cooking for dinner parties. He found a nutritionist and setup a deal to do private cooking classes to teach some of her clients how to prepare healthy and tasty meals that met their dietary requirements.
    Wow, that's a fantastic idea. And since he was already big into cooking (well, I imagine he was, since he'd put forth the effort to go through training at the Culinary Institute of America), it was a great way to earn side money from an interest. Creative and fulfilling it seems. I wanna be like that when I grow up - earning from something I really like spending my time on [IMG].
  8. DonnaA New Member

The personal chef thing was hard for me to get going. It really just seemed that I needed access to more rich people to make it work. Anyone have any great ideas on how to find more personal chef clients?

I like that this advantage meal solutions thing seems to aim at people more like me. I just don't know that I want to spend more money for a start-up package, even though they seem to offer marketing material and everything. What do you thinK?
  9. BobFirestone New Member

DonnaA: It really just seemed that I needed access to more rich people to make it work.
    You are right on this one. Rich people are far more likely to pay for a personal chef service.

If you are hesitant to shell out the cash to become part of a program this is what I would do.
    Create a sample menu for dieters and contact some nutritionists and personal trainers. You will have to make some meals for the ones who are interested in partnering with you to prove you can deliver the goods. And don't forget to offer them a referral fee.
    Another potential market is business executives. Offer a healthy lunchtime delivery service. Sell them on the idea that instead of greasy takeout and the 3 o'clock energy drop, proper nutrition will give them the energy to power through the second half of the day and be more productive. Actually this might be the easier market to get some clients quickly by going to networking events and your local chamber of commerce.
  10. DonnaA New Member

Great ideas Bob.

Thanks,
    Donna
  11. debbystewart New Member

Catering businesses do very well. You may want to explore this too.
  12. DonnaA New Member

13. DonnaA New Member

The book is great. It is brutally honest about what it takes to succeed, but they give you what you need to do it. I'm going to start my own Advantage Meal Solutions Business!

Wish me luck.

Donna