Daughter getting in on the act!

Discussion in 'Casual Chat' started by redsadie, Mar 9, 2009.

1. redsadie

redsadie New Member

Hi guys

As some may know I'm a fairly new member on these boards. I have made a few websites in my time, mainly template stuff and SBI all of which I enjoyed (especially SBI).

Anyway, I've been really getting into Squidoo over the past few days and consequently my eight year old daughter hasn't seen much laptop action! Although there are two in the house, they belong to me and her dad and but she usually gets more of a look in than we do.

I think she's now thought 'if I can't beat her I'll join her!' she asked me to help her make a website, lol! So I did. It's only a freewebs template site but I actually think it's easier to use than my Godaddy site in it's functionality and widgets!

I have had to help her quite a bit, and it's been so hard for me to let her go through and make her own mistakes and of course I have to proof read it all otherwise it would never be understood,lol!

Have a look and see what you think, it's not a profit making site, it's just for fun and my daughter trying to get in on the act but you never know, this could be the start of things to come! So I hope the link won't be removed as I don't really want to put in my signature forever and a day [​IMG]

http://my-games-review.webs.com/index.htm

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi RedSadie,

I think it's great that your daughter is getting into it too. I've read a lot of nice forum entries where parents are happy about creating sites and/or Squidoo lenses together as a hobby. Some kids have even made some decent money.

I think it's a great hobby and biz for anyone.

Have fun [​IMG]

~Newbie Shield~

3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

I agree. Not only is it fun to involve your daughter, it's also an opportunity to bond.
    I just took a break and spent 20 minutes playing games on the site. That was fun!

Hermas

4. happywife

happywife Gold Member

How lovely! That's really great that you are allowing/helping your daughter to learn what potentially can be a very profitable skill in the long run.

And what wonderful memories you both will have looking back on the time you spent together. [​IMG]

5. redsadie

redsadie New Member

Thanks for your replies guys [​IMG]

Hermas, I'm glad you enjoyed the games, personally I haven't had a chance to play on any yet!

A lot of people (especially my nan when I told her) were like 'oh, you can let her do that, she's only a child and what about all these internet pervs?'

Well, I am the moderator on the site and I'm hardly likely to let just anybody get in contact with her (they would be 'talking' to me). That's why I very rarely tell anyone in my family about what I'm trying to do to make money on the internet, because they are all sceptics. Old school, you have to work *hard* for the money you earn!

I think it's a great idea too if she wants to get involved, it will give us more time together and who knows, she might not have to work *hard* to earn money in her adult life if I can show her there's more than one way to catch a cat!

x

6. samda

samda Member

OMG. Great !

Teach your kid, great morals of life. Please teach her to make important decisions herself. You have did a great one by helping her build a website at a very young age. Technically sound !

Great and we would like to see her progress as time progresses..

Sam

7. coffee

coffee New Member

That is awesome! She is learning a lot, especially with writing skills. And the time you both spent together, she'll remember forever.