Did you get hit by the latest Google Penguin update?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by Vishal P. Rao, May 15, 2012.

1. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Unfortunately, this forum in spite of never indulging in any of black/grey hat SEO techniques, got hit by the latest so called Penguin update. In fact I had no idea at all until recently why the sudden drop in visitors. However, it's not all dark here. May be around 40% drop. But I don't have any complaints. What goes up has to come down [IMG]

Did you get hit?
  2. Just2EZ Gold Member

It's all my fault!
    I haven't been posting new content or updating old content.
    This forum and my own websites have been neglected lately.
    It is just like friends and family, "what have you done for me lately?"
    How soon they forget all the good things from the past.
    Fresh content is what Google is after.
    Can't rest on your laurels.

Interesting side note: although a low site went to not ranked...
    it still was on TOP of page one for the long tail keyword name.
    Like this forum's URL, the name matches the (old) content.
  3. Just2EZ Gold Member

You know one of the problems with this forum's ranking?
    We don't say "Work at Home" enough on all these threads.
    Saying Work at Home often enough will put it on top.
    Not because we said Work at Home a lot but because it's related.

Most topics here talk about specific programs and few mention "Work at Home".
    I like to Work at Home because it gives me the freedom to choose my schedule.
    That is why I like the Work at Home Forum where I can learn from others who also
    WORK FROM HOME
    oh yeah, there is that.... FROM instead of AT and other variations..
    Mix it up but don't ignore YOUR targeted keywords.
    You won't know where you rank without them.

There Vishal, let's see how long that takes to register.
    Members please remember to say Work at Home whenever possible.[IMG]
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Actually I disagree Just2Ez - Penguin is punishing folks for keyword stuffing so that will only make matters worse.

And yes I was hit pretty good with Penguin.... but I will win, just as I did with Panda. [IMG]
  5. Just2EZ Gold Member

mountainmom5
    OK, so I went a little overboard but the point remains the same.
    You can't rank for "Work at Home" if no one ever mentions it on here.
    It just doesn't work any other way, keywords are still the main criteria.
    True there is a penalty for excessively abusing them like my post above.
    By the same token if the words are never spoken they can't get ranked at all.
  6. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Just2EZ: By the same token if the words are never spoken they can't get ranked at all.
    Ya I know - just wish it was all spelled out in black and white on what goes or not sometimes! [IMG]
  7. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

Just2EZ: There Vishal, let's see how long that takes to register.
    Members please remember to say Work at Home whenever possible.
    I understand your concern Jimmy but I have to disagree with that approach! It'll only harm the forum than do any good. Actually this forum's ranking has not affected at all for the "work at home" keyword. Only long tail keywords are hit.

I never encourage my members to employ any SEO tactics. I just want them to post quality content. And let nature take it's own course.

Cheers [IMG]
  8. bicelaw New Member

Actually I disagree Just2Ez - Penguin is punishing folks for keyword stuffing so that will only make matters worse.
  9. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Very well said Vishal!
  10. feenux23 New Member

I was hit hard with Google's latest update as well. Two of my blogs were ranking in the top 5 on the first page for several keywords and now I'm seeing that I'm on the 2nd and 3rd page.

From the looks of it, my sites were waaayyy to optimized according to Google. But nothing to worry about. If I got on the first page once, I can definitely do it again. That's what keeps everything interesting.

Are there any tips or suggestions that anybody has around the Penguin update?
  11. JayW New Member

The update actually helped me. My blog was jumping around from page 3 to 4 and now its on page 1. Who knows how long it will stay there though with all the changes that Google continues to make. I try to just focus on creating good content and promotion and not worry about the rest. In fact, it's very dangerous to rely solely on Google for your traffic. A diverse traffic source will prevent you from having all your eggs in the Google basket. [IMG]
  12. happywife Gold Member

I hear you Vishal! I've never done any black hat SEO either (not much off site SEO at all) and one of my sites dropped in traffic by about 30%.

On the other hand, my other 5 sites weren't hit with Penguin (built precisely with the same methods), so who knows what the key factor was in my case.

Like you, I'm not too worried about it. I do have to admit that I'm relieved it was just the one site. [IMG] It can be discouraging to take a major hit across the board.

Blessings,
    Angie
  13. happywife Gold Member

P.S. By the way, I wasn't quite sure how to answer the poll. One site dropped a bit, a couple improved, and the rest stayed the same. Didn't know which to report. [IMG]
  14. payment proof Member

Most of my sites stayed steady through the Penguin updates, so I was very lucky. I am sorry to hear about the big decrease in forum traffic. But I am sure things will pick up again. This is a very good forum with a ton of great and helpful information.

Perhaps as new posts (content) is added, that will help a bit?
  15. robinincarolina Silver Member

I had a blog that was hit pretty bad. I am lucky now to get 50 visits a day. No first page of Google anymore for it either. It's all good though, it just challenges me to do it all again and this time I know a lot more than I did 3 years ago when I created that one.

I also take it as a sign of the land. Maybe it's time I began work on one of those many projects I have been putting off and move my eggs around as some of you say![IMG]
  16. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

robinincarolina: I also take it as a sign of the land. Maybe it's time I began work on one of those many projects I have been putting off and move my eggs around as some of you say!
    +1 Behind every dark cloud there's a silver lining. When disaster strikes, don't fret on why it happened to you. Instead, open up your mind to grab new opportunities. It's always happened to me.
  17. talfighel Silver Member

That's why I would never ever rely on the search engines for traffic. It is internet marketing suicide.
  18. Sum Yung Ho New Member

Improved my rankings.

Sum Yung Ho!
  19. mountainmom5 Gold Member

It's a little discouraging but I am cleaning up some of my websites and it makes ME happier to get stuff cleaned up so hopefully Big G will agree with me sometime soon. :)
  20. Vishal P. Rao Administrator

There is a very interesting article about the Penguin update on Andy William's recent newsletter. Don't forget to check out the video.
    Just2EZ likes this.