Do you use newspaper ads to drive traffic?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by rbokros, Jun 11, 2008.

1. rbokros

rbokros New Member

I have been considering using newspaper ads to drive traffic to my website. Has anyone had any luck with this and if so, what kind of ads do you suggest? There has been some other forums that I read and some said they had success with newspaper ads. Thanks for your input.

2. seeyalater72

seeyalater72 New Member

rbokros,

I have had moderate success with newspaper ads. The biggest problem with them is that they aren't necessarily "targeted" unless of course you use a publication dedicated to home businesses. But on the other hand, with Internet marketing so competitive nowadays offline advertising can seriously reduce the competition for an interested parties attention. I think it's a worthwhile tool especially if the cost is right. Also keep in mind the circulation and demograhics of any publication you consider.

3. aplina

aplina New Member

Well said l have not use the newspaper . its alot very expensive here t. and l cannot afford.that but if it a good price there giving it a try will not hurt . you may want to start small and see how it goes then you can increase

4. CSGWAHM

CSGWAHM New Member

I do not use newspaper advertising. It's not targeted. Usually people looking through a newspaper are looking for a JOB, or reading about the happenings. Now advertising in a home based business type of magazine gets better results, but can be expensive.

5. Green Girl

Green Girl New Member

I placed one "test ad" in our local town newspaper and did not see any significant change in my web traffic. It is really important to monitor your web statistics to evaluate your traffic; what keywords are being used as search terms that get you traffic...and better yet, sales that correspond to any new marketing or advertising that you do!

Green Girl

6. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Advertising in niche publications could help.

7. I have just been reading about advertising in local newspapers. I think I might give it a go, maybe set up a re-direct page where I can install google analytics to monitor the traffic generated.

Barb.

8. herwindz

herwindz New Member

which one is better?
    advertisement on newspaper or
    advertisement on magazine

9. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

rbokros,

If you feel that it's worth a try then go ahead and give it a shot. Try to pick a publication that will allow you to double dip; one that will also place the ad online.

herwindz: It depends what you are trying to achieve. It depends upon the specific niche and the circulation numbers. One thing I can tell you is that the larger magazines tend to be more expensive to advertise in than the larger newspapers.

Thorough market research would be a good idea, especially if you intend to advertise in one of the larger magazines. As I just mentioned to rbokros, you should also try to double-dip if you can.

~Newbie Shield~

10. herwindz

herwindz New Member

thanks for the reply,
    i agree with you, we should do a little investigation before we spend our money

11. Green Girl

Green Girl New Member

In my experience...magazine ads are definately better, but much more expensive than newspaper ads, because the target audience is more tailored to your product and therefore valuable ad space. I used to sell advertising for a national herb magazine and some of the companies I sold ads to, grew from small "craft fair" size businesses to national businesses. Not from the ads alone, but I know they helped!

Green Girl
    [Link removed - Admin]

12. MoneyLizard

MoneyLizard New Member

Newspaper ads might work, I am usually open to any form of advertising outside the norm... but would a $50 add be more worth your investment than say $50 of PPC advertising? Let's say you find a few good keywords for your advertising and you are paying $.20 per click on average... that would be 250 people going to your website for your $50... what about the newspaper ad, how many people will actually visit your site from it?

The problem I see is that people reading the paper aren't right there at the computer, so it's not so convenient to visit your site based on your ad...

Just my .02!

13. BillChechel

BillChechel New Member

It would be a good idea to buy a separate domain just for specific ads so you can track traffic.

I think they alphabetize listings in newspapers so keep that in mind.

I know that they charge by circulation but bigger isnt better. You will waste alot of ad dollars on bigger circulations.

14. successful2008

successful2008 New Member

I took out a couple of small adds in my local news paper. It really didn't pan out. I know a few people who did place ads in quite a few news papers and they did OK. I really don't know anyone who made a killing on placing ads in the paper. f you're doing that, good luck & keep us posted on how you're doing.

To your massive success,
    Michelle

15. CSGWAHM

CSGWAHM New Member

MoneyLizard.....You asked about spending money in newspaper or spending the same amount in PPC, I would go with the PPC. You can totally target your PPC ads with specific keywords. Most people looking in a newspaper aren't seeking a business. It's a waste of ad money, you could definitely put it to better use and see better results.

16. successful2008

successful2008 New Member

PPC's are good, if you have the budget to spend. If you really don't, PPC's can break your bank. If money budget is a wee bit of an issue, you can always post in the free ads and get results. It may not be quite the same as PPC, but it could generate a little cash flow, that will allow you to do some PPC's.

To your massive success,
    Michelle

17. Casper

Casper New Member

I'm happy to see that someone made a thread on this issue as I live in a small town with a local paper that comes out once a week & I have been thinking about using this form of media to drive more traffic to my sites, If you live in the city it could be a challenge as your ad will be up against a lot more competition & it could be somewhat lost in the classifieds section of the paper.

18. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

Someone in my downline in Trivita ran an ad for the business opportunity in a small town he lives in and also ran it in the local neighborhood newspapers and got several people asking for additional information - so you may have a good point, Casper, that if it is not a big city it might get more attention.

Magazine advertising is very expensive. I would not go that route unless we had team members that wanted to do an ad coop where people chip in, and the leads garnered from the ad are shared with those that contributed.

19. Casper

Casper New Member

We have a couple of job search website here In Australia such as seek.com.au & careerone.com.au & a lot of home business operators generate leads & website traffic by advertising on these sites.