Does anybody really make money selling ebooks?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by jeffp87, Feb 21, 2007.

1. jeffp87

jeffp87 New Member

Hi everybody. Im new to this forum, but I've been trying to work from home going on 10 years now( very unsucessfully I might add). I guess that I'm just a gluten for punishment or something because I keep coming back for more.

Ive noticed that it seems that most everybody out there is doing affiliate marketing or something to that nature, but I personally have had absolutely zero luck with that and have only accomplished to lose money.

Also I'm not a writer so that leaves freelance writing out the window also.

It seems that no matter where I turn or whatever I try, it just ends in the same results. So I'm definitely in need of some serious help.

I've recently been looking into selling some ebooks on ebay that I've accumulated(my ebooks are not the same ones about making money that don't work, they are on totally different subject matter and are pretty useful ebooks). But I'm not sure how to get the sales pages loaded on ebay for my auction, or how to make the ebook automated by making the ebook instantly downloadable after the customer purchases it.

Sorry to be so long-winded here but I don't know where else to turn for help. I know that there is something out there for me to be able to work from home because i see too many people doing it, so I know that it is possible, I just can't seem to find it, and I really don't want to put in another 10 years searching for it.

I know that working from home takes work, and I'm more than happy to put in the work, as long as it is in something legitimate and I can see some results(even if the results are small to start off with in the beginning, thats fine). I'm not naive enough to believe in the get-rich-quick, one click and your a millionaire type stuff.

Again, sorry to be so long-winded here, but I definitely would appreciate any help that anybody can give.

Thank you in advance,

Jeff
    Azmos likes this.
  2. Steve_S

Steve_S New Member

Hi Jeff,

IMHO, selling e-books on ebay is not the way to go, unless you sell them really cheap with the purpose of (A) building a list and/or (B) cashing in on the affiliate links inside the e-book you're selling. So make sure the e-book is rebranded with your affiliate ID.

Affiliate marketing is not an easy business. And the secret of being successful has nothing to do with "luck". It's just a matter of "good knowledge" and "hard work".

I am in this business for quite some time now, and I still learn every day. The better the knowledge, the easier it is to compete.

To start in this business, just set a realistic goal. Many people will laugh at you when you say that your site generates $100 profit each and every single month. Just let them laugh... and enjoy your first victory : $100/month is actually $1200/year. And if you do it the right way, your will generate that amount of money for many years to come on full autopilot with just ONE site.

Your next step? Repeat the first step... but this time, do it a bit better. Start a new site that generates $150 and work your way up there.

You have now 2 sites. Ok... Move on.. How about 3 sites... 4sites... 30 sites... The sky is the limit!

Get the idea? Do you understand why it is soooooooo important to get that first victory? Don't give up! Never. One day, you'll reach your dream. Do the hard work now, add your personal touch to it and enjoy the results.

I am addicted to it!

Steve [​IMG]
  3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Quoting: Steve_SYour next step? Repeat the first step... but this time, do it a bit better. Start a new site that generates $150 and work your way up there.

Hi Steve, that's a sure recipe to riches, but to actually grow your business that way, you must treat your business like a professional one and that means hiring extra competent staff and space. It no longer stays a home-based business.
  4. propertymanager

propertymanager New Member

Jeff,

Yes, you can make money selling e-books online. I make money every month. However, the truth about any business is that you must have a product that people need. Simply reselling e-books may not be the answer. Do you have an area of expertise that would allow you to write a book that a lot of people would want?

Moveover, another reality of business is that your income must exceed your expenses. Therefore, you must consider your price-point. If you're making $2 per copy of an e-book that you're reselling, then it will be difficult for your income to exceed your advertising expense unless your book is extremely popular. With my e-book, I have a website ($10 per month) plus a pay-per-click budget of about $200. Therefore, I must sell $210 worth of books just to break even. If I were only receiving $2 per book, then I'd need to sell 105 books just to break even. Obviously, that doesn't include any payment for my time. So, the point is that the price point must be high enough to make a profit and low enough that people will buy it. It is a delicate balancing act and something to be carefully considered.

Good Luck,

Mike
  5. Steve_S

Steve_S New Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoHi Steve, that's a sure recipe to riches, but to actually grow your business that way, you must treat your business like a professional one and that means hiring extra competent staff and space. It no longer stays a home-based business.

Hi Vishal,
    You are right.... and at the same time... you are wrong [​IMG]

You are right that one must treat his/her online business like a professional one. There is no difference with any other business.

But you're absolutely wrong that one must hire extra staff. When I started out, it took me loads of time to build my first successful site. With the skills I have now, it only takes a fraction of that time.

That first victory, no matter how long it takes to get to that point, is an extremely important one. That's what motivated me to continue.

The better the skills, the easier this business becomes. But it takes time and patience.
  6. propertymanager

propertymanager New Member

Steve,

I agree with you. I operate a fairly large rental property business (with several dozen rentals) and I also market and sell a book. I do all the work myself. In fact, one of my major goals is to NOT have employees. To me, dealing with employees is almost as bad as having a 9-5 job. The only difference is that in one case you deal with a boss and in the other you deal with employees. Both are a pain in the rear.

Mike
  7. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Quoting: Steve_SBut you're absolutely wrong that one must hire extra staff. When I started out, it took me loads of time to build my first successful site. With the skills I have now, it only takes a fraction of that time.

Yes you may be able to build new sites faster now but what about updating them? Gone are the days when you just roll out one site after other and then watch the traffic coming. You need to update them at regular intervals.
  8. roger

roger New Member

Quoting: jeffp87Hi everybody. Im new to this forum, but I've been trying to work from home going on 10 years now( very unsucessfully I might add). I guess that I'm just a gluten for punishment or something because I keep coming back for more.

Ive noticed that it seems that most everybody out there is doing affiliate marketing or something to that nature, but I personally have had absolutely zero luck with that and have only accomplished to lose money.

Also I'm not a writer so that leaves freelance writing out the window also.

It seems that no matter where I turn or whatever I try, it just ends in the same results. So I'm definitely in need of some serious help.

I've recently been looking into selling some ebooks on ebay that I've accumulated(my ebooks are not the same ones about making money that don't work, they are on totally different subject matter and are pretty useful ebooks). But I'm not sure how to get the sales pages loaded on ebay for my auction, or how to make the ebook automated by making the ebook instantly downloadable after the customer purchases it.

Sorry to be so long-winded here but I don't know where else to turn for help. I know that there is something out there for me to be able to work from home because i see too many people doing it, so I know that it is possible, I just can't seem to find it, and I really don't want to put in another 10 years searching for it.

I know that working from home takes work, and I'm more than happy to put in the work, as long as it is in something legitimate and I can see some results(even if the results are small to start off with in the beginning, thats fine). I'm not naive enough to believe in the get-rich-quick, one click and your a millionaire type stuff.

Again, sorry to be so long-winded here, but I definitely would appreciate any help that anybody can give.

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    Years down the road you could be looked upon as the Internet version of Thomas Edison, the same man who 'failed' 1000 times before inventing the light bulb. He never gave up and it's quite evident you won't either. I encourage you to view the last 10 years of trying as all part of the process towards your ultimate success, whatever that may be in - I admire your fortitude!

I've been working a successful home based business full time for the last seven months and I also agree with many of the posts above.

The first thing I recommend is whatever you decide to do make sure you love it or at the least really really like it, it will increase your odds of profitability.

Secondly if you are joining a network marketing, direct sales or MLM type of company make sure you ask lots of questions to your upline, make sure you are comfortable with him or her (remember this is a partnership) and don't just jump in unless you are sure you will follow through.

A big reason most people don't succeed in home based businesses is a lack of committment; they just give up once they hit their first road block. If you prepare yourself and know there will be bumps in the road it will serve you well. I'm sure that won't be an issue with you, however.

The reason I bring up the network marketing/direct sales/mlm scenario - apart from the fact I am in a Direct Sales business - is because they have systems in place already, successful people doing the business and other people's strengths you can draw from. If you decide to go it alone it's a tougher hill to climb because when you're a one man show, well, you're a one man show.

Whatever you decide, all the best!

[​IMG]

Roger
  9. Steve_S

Steve_S New Member

Quoting: Vishal P. RaoYes you may be able to build new sites faster now but what about updating them? Gone are the days when you just roll out one site after other and then watch the traffic coming. You need to update them at regular intervals.

Hi Vishal,

Nice to hear you again [​IMG]. I am not talking about building a website from a technical point of view (html, xml, php, etc...) That's the easy part (for those who don't have these skills, outsourcing is the way to go).

So what am I talking about exactly... I am talking about developing the "sixth sense", which takes a lot of time. Developing that "sixth sense" is a continuing process that becomes a lot easier over time. That first victory is an indication that one is on the right track to develop that "sense". Each "next victory" becomes easier to get!

Also, bear in mind that once you have one or two PR5 sites (that takes even more time), it gets a lot easier to get your new site noticed by the search engines. [​IMG]

Finally, lot's of folks don't know how (and why) to test the potential of new products (with minimal efforts and expenses) before putting them on their websites. Needless to say what to do next...
  10. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Jeff,

Which ebooks about how to make money online have you read? It could be that you need to look at some other resources.
  11. jeffp87

jeffp87 New Member

Hi again everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to offer your help, thats what makes this forum so great.

Thanks Roger for your kind words. I don't know about becoming the Thomas Edison of the internet, but your words definitely inspired me to keep forging forward.

And Steve, I get your point and what you're saying. It is all about just finding that first success and then simply duplicating that success.

To answer your question GetaGrip, most of the books that I have to this point about making money have been about Ebay, but the stuff in those books was stuff that I already knew anyway.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to help me. Thats a rare commodity these days. Alot of people that find success are so wrapped up in their own success, that they forget that someone once helped them to get to where they are at now. But thats not the case here in this forum. Everyone here is so great, and I thank God that I found this forum.

I will be a regular on this forum from now on and promise to help others when I find things that are successful and that others can benifit from, because I think thats what this forum is all about to begin with. I wish everyone here much more continued success in their businesses.

Jeff