Does anyone know how to make an insulin shot hurt less?

Discussion in 'Health' started by OrganicWealth, Jan 23, 2011.

1. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

My 9 year old granddaughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. This makes me soo sad as I've been beating my head against the wall with the family about health and wellness, which has been my passion for decades. Yes, I know type 1 isn't diet related, but being an auto-immune dis-ease, I believe that nutrition and toxicity plays a huge role.

Does anyone know what might make giving this little girl a shot a little less painful - she says sometimes it hurts a little, sometimes a lot!
    Thank you from this grateful grandma!

2. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of such. Don't know of anything that would help the shot, but I would encourage you to pass on the drinking of more water. Many, many health issues are the product of a lack of us not drinking enough water. And with all the juices, sodas, coffees, and other flavored drinks being promoted people are just dehydrating their cells of the water needed for great health.

See the www.watercure2.org for a major understanding of the power of water (and salt contrary to popular health propaganda).

Health is equally as important to wealth.

All the best!

3. coffeemomma

coffeemomma New Member

How about getting off Insulin all together. My company has an herb called Ganoderma you can google that. Ganoderma diabetes it is helping a lot of folks bring their levels down. Check out the millions of documentations from Pub Med , National Institution of health who knew the chinese knew. Now my company has infused it in the coffee, tea, hot chocolate, green tea we drink everyday. We also have ganoderma capsules. So don't think never you will get off the insulin it is documented but the doctors don't want to tell you.

I was watching Oprah the other day and Pam Grier from the 70's movies had Stage 4 cancer and her doctor said she had 18 months to live and sent her to chinatown for some chinese medicine she is in remission and still around. Don't play with your life pharmecuetical companies it is there job to keep you on medication.

Insulin get off of it with Ganoderma. I love my product and drink it every single day.

4. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

Ya, this is Type 1 and we did fine with the shots while mom and dad went "out".

I've been banging my head against the wall for 20 years with my son and his family about health and you are what you eat, yada, yada to no avail.

No, I'm waiting for the "dietician" to give the OK for nutritional supplementation. Go figure. Sometimes, I just gotta love em and leave it - it hurst so bad.

5. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

For the time being, there are alternatives to shots. They should speak to you about having a device implanted to induce insulin at intervals to keep insulin consistent and in check. In the meantime look up Dr. Gary B. Huffnagle, Ph.D. His research touches on probiotics and the possibilities of treating Type 1 Diabetes. It is in my family as well as high blood pressure and heart conditions(my dad and my 4 uncles had heart bypass). Also google Gerson Therapy and research that. And yes, sometimes i feel like bangin my head on the wall when i talk about health to people.

6. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

Thanks so much! I'm learning a whole lot about Type 1, about milk being introduced early in life and a cold virus making one more prone, etc. Gerson Therapy has been on my list of things to google.

Heart disease is also in my family as my dad had a triple bypass and I carry a little extra weight around my middle, so have to be watchful of that here!

Thank you so much for this post!

7. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

Your welcome Diane. There's still so much to learn, i feel like i'm on a crusade. LOL

8. Shanec

Shanec New Member

My wife is type 1 diabetic so this topic is near and dear to my heart. The device I believe type is called an insulin pump. It is GREAT, however the person using it must be very attentive to details because it is easy to give yourself to much insulin.

A couple other tips is to make sure you bunch up the skin (such as squeezing the belly fat together) before giving the injection, and letting the insulin room to warm temperature also helps....

Shane

9. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

RICH4NURICHE
    Yes, that's funny, my blog and one of my fan pages is Diane "C"rusader Brown

www.dianecbrown.com - really! Sometimes it wears me down to be a crusader, but sometimes it's sooo fulfilling and I guess i'll never give up! S.O.S. - Save Our Society!!!!!

10. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

Shanec
    Ya, this is a 9 year old who is still scared to poke her finger. Never mind putting the little needle in her belly. The Lantis has to go in her hip too. This subject makes me so sad as I really do believe that this auto-immune disease is due to poor nutrition, bad lifestyle from even before birth and toxins.

I sincerely thank you for you input!

11. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

Shanec: insulin pump. It is GREAT, however the person using it must be very attentive
    My 27 yr old son in law has/had a pump that failed several times.
    The built in alarm system did not notify him, nor did the doctor check it.
    My daughter noticed the hose got crimped while he was in a stupor and fixed it.
    The last time it failed they were in Tahoe skiing and he forgot his shot kit.

If you get a pump, always carry your shot kit anyway in case it fails.
    The good thing I hear is you can inject into the connector tube making shots less painful.

12. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

Just2EZ
    Oh wow, with type 1?? That's scary.

Right, I have her her shots last weekend and it was very easy, you know kids, they hate pokies!

13. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

OrganicWealth: That's scary.

Yep, it is really scary for my daughter with 2 young kids to take care of too.
    He had his first bout overseas when he was 18 without warning.
    The pump has been great when it works but the user is responsible for monitoring.
    Ignoring the signs of failure could be deadly.
    Train friends and family to spot the signs.
    By the time he's delirious he can't realize the problem or communicate.

14. OrganicWealth

OrganicWealth New Member

Thanks and yes, we just learned of the warning signs and in the end (hopefully not) unresponsiveness. And oh, that $200 shot "just in case". It really is so sad.

www.foodmatter.com and yes, the gerson therapy looks super but what 9 year old is going to eat all raw for 30 days??

15. Shanec

Shanec New Member

Hopefully one day they will have a cure for this vicious disease!

16. nutrition nut

nutrition nut New Member

Diane, and anyone else who reads this post. The Gerson Way is amazing but you are right only a few people will choose that path and really stick with it.

My husband was dx with Sarcoidosis in 2004, it is an autoimmune disease as well and many people who have it also have diabetes. We have read the Gerson books, done the raw food diet for 90 days and sometimes it is just not enough to actually reverse the damage all ready done by a disease.

When your family is ready to really take their health and their daughters health into their own hands... there are some easy and effective liquid nutritional supplements that are having a profound effect with this disease and others. But, as you and I know, until we are ready it does not matter.

Food can and does heal - maybe they would just start doing a raw food smoothie every day - it would help her diabetes and is one easy step in the right direction.

17. Agreed,

Nothing is worse than having a young child having to face shots every day, I still have an issue with going to dentist over shots, never liked them, never will, but I feel for you as my daughter got hit with diabetes at 9 years old too. The older she gets, the more difficult it gets as your skin actually builds up scar tissue so you always have to look for new areas to take shots rather than in one area only every day.

I found that the over the counter tooth ache gels work well at reducing the pain of insulin shots. You take a Q-tip put a drop on, then leave it on your skin for a couple minutes before taking shot, the slight numbing effect is very effective since the first prick of needle is the most painful part of injection. Just wipe off area with alcohol first to minimze scaring, even if you don't see it, anything to prevent infection helps.

Success to all,

18. bdkfreedom

bdkfreedom New Member

I'm jumping on "nutrition nut" train for her comments!!

Being in the Health and Wellness Industry myself, a professional athlete and one with children, I know the importance of nutrition. We consume a liquid nutritional product everyday and have for the past three years. I absolutely swear by them and agree with nutrition nut that this is an easy, convenient way to try and "prevent" such cases.

Incorporating this into her diet daily could do wonders. It wouldnt be the first time I have seen it work a miracle! [​IMG]

For suggestions, please let me know and I would love to help!