Domain names

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by moyke, Mar 27, 2009.

1. moyke

moyke New Member

I had a question about domain naming. Does it make a huge difference if you name your domain after the niche area you are marketing or could you have something like this.... www.blah.com/niche and have the same effect?

2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I would try to name it as close to the niche you are promoting as possible.

3. happywife

happywife Gold Member

It is generally recommended that you use your niches main keyword phrase in the domain name if possible.

There are exceptions to almost every rule. If you expect to be HUGE and you want to have a clever name for branding, you can go for it, but in most cases, you would want the main phrase in the domain.

For instance my site on chocolate candy is called "chocolate candy mall," my site on auto insurance is called "auto insurance helper" and my site on parasites is called "all about parasites."

It won't "ruin" your chances if you don't do this, but it's like getting some extra "points" when you do, so in my mind, it's worth doing, especially when you are just starting out and can use all the help you can get. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie

4. moyke

moyke New Member

Thanks Angie, You've been more than helpful. [​IMG]

5. happywife

happywife Gold Member

My pleasure. [​IMG]

6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Mike,

I concur with Keith and Angie. Put it in there if you can or at least put something relevant. It'll help with both branding and SE traffic.

In some niches it is very difficult to achieve but you should spend up to a week or two looking at candidates if you can't find one right away. It is worth the time and effort.

~Newbie Shield~

7. moneymagnet23

moneymagnet23 New Member

I agree with everyone but i want to add it depends what kind of marketing you are doing.

Remember if you want people to go to your site because of the name or .com than i would approach it a different way.

Chris

8. jaesun16

jaesun16 New Member

Yes, Choose one, or pick one go with your niche products

ex) not only, "Shoppingmall.com" you can add words like this

"Goshoppingmalltoday.com"

You can also be more creative changing words.

Don't just stick with the simple words. I think you will be all right

you can find good one[​IMG]

Happy day~^^[​IMG]

9. IMoneyReview

IMoneyReview New Member

another way to get your niche in the domain if everything you think of is taken is to try putting dashes "-" between the words in your domain name

ie. my-niche-product.com

10. tygersclaw

tygersclaw New Member

Another idea is to, when you find the domain name you want, purchase ALL of the tld that are available for it. Point them to your main site and that could improve your standings.

11. James Ryuu

James Ryuu New Member

I want a domain name for my Email to make my buisness look more profesinal. I have been on a web site that sell domain names for ??2.99 per year. Do I have to have a web site for a domain name or can I just add it to my Email. Realy I have'nt got a clue how it works can someone explain please.

12. gowriter

gowriter Member

There's no need to buy up all top level domains related to your niche. As long as your domain name is as relevant to your site as possible and does not infringe on any trademark, you're good to go.

Domain names don't carry the search engine importance as they used to, so don't sweat that part. I would be more worried about trademark infringement which can get you into a lot of hot water.

I've seen in other forums people lose their entire incomes and give up their domains because well known companies issued a cease and desist letter. If you don't cooperate and threaten to sue, you can kiss your entire good credit goodbye.