Door to door sales in MLM

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by uncertain2012, Mar 1, 2012.

1. uncertain2012

uncertain2012 New Member

Does anyone know if this is OK? Has anyone tried selling door to door?

I figured if I went door to door, some people might really not be too happy about it, but the worst thing they can do is just say they're not interested. I figure eventually I will find some people happy enough to give me a few minutes to explain.

I have been looking long and hard at selling Melaleuca. I ran across this http://www.mlmlegal.com/ftc3day.html however, and I am wondering if it is true, and if it matters. I don't want to break any laws.

It is dated 1998, and I'm wondering if this rule is outdated. I noticed that even a transaction at a restaurant would fall under the rule...

2. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

The best suggestion I can give you if you do decide to join Melaleuca, is to find someone who is doing really well (Maybe your personal sponsor) and ask them what you can do to be successful.

Maybe you don't need to go door to door. Maybe you are not allowed to do that with that company. Don't make things complicated for yourself.

3. Just2EZ

Just2EZ Moderator

uncertain2012: I noticed that even a transaction at a restaurant would fall under the rule...
    That is not entirely true, the item must be returned in reasonably good condition.
    If an item has been opened or consumed it is usually not returnable.
    There are exceptions to every rule.

On the other hand, in my county you must have a peddler's permit for door to door sales.
    Door to door is the hard way to make sales and mostly unwelcome.
    Go after the low hanging fruit instead of knocking on closed doors.

4. itsjoanne

itsjoanne New Member

Door to door is probably the least effective ways to build a business. You will find better success talking to people who are already interested in what you have to offer. That means learning how to market online.

You can't mention Melaleuca in online advertising I don't think, but you really don't want to talk about your company anyway. It's about finding like minded people who want to be financially successful.

I think the advice you got to check with your sponsor and upline is a good one as well. Find someone in your company who is already doing well.

5. uncertain2012

uncertain2012 New Member

I understand door to door is pretty questionable, just weighing the options here. I am thinking about doing flyers, too. It seems offline marketing is likely overlooked.

Melaleuca tends to want you to approach your warm leads...friends and family. I don't have much in those departments, and I'm not willing to make those approaches to begin a business.

It seems like all the people online are really just marketing leads to people who will end up marketing leads. :|

6. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

uncertain2012: It seems offline marketing is likely overlooked.

Postcards are a very effective way to build a business offline.

uncertain2012: Melaleuca tends to want you to approach your warm leads...friends and family.
    If you believe in the product and the business opportunity you would be denying them the choice for a better life and opportunity if they want it. Also you would be denying them the health benefits of the product. I have always believed in sharing things with people I care about. I guarantee if you were not paid to share something you loved with them you would. Don't make it any different.

BUT ...

If you don't want to talk to friends and family you can still be successful in business..

There are numerous methods for building your business in ANY MLM company.

talfighel: The best suggestion I can give you if you do decide to join Melaleuca, is to find someone who is doing really well (Maybe your personal sponsor) and ask them what you can do to be successful.
    Tal is absolutely right. No need to reinvent the wheel. =].

Matt

7. robledo1

robledo1 New Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be OK.

I used to work for Kirby and we would go door to door selling stuff.
    Isn't this kinda the same thing?

One thing to keep in mind is that all people are different:

Some people like buying stuff online.
    Some people like buying stuff in the mail.
    Some people like buying stuff on the phone.
    Some people like buying stuff face to face.
    Some people like buying stuff from someone they know.

That's cool you're not limiting yourself to only online.

8. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

There are different ways to market both online and off. By planning and taking action consistently you will be able to gauge what areas work well and others that don't get results. Keep in mind that there are also generic programs that are online to help you get seen.

9. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

Door To door is designed more for the direct product sales approach. For a product like Melaleuca you will have people needing to try it see if it works for them and then following up. Not sure that it would produce much effective results and cashflow with a door to door approach with that biz. Maybe for another product another company.

10. Momentis UK

Momentis UK New Member

I have found that flyers and post cards work, and its cheap in cost..