Ebook Test Result

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by LindaSweetfield, May 11, 2010.

1. LindaSweetfield

LindaSweetfield New Member

Hey. For those of you who were following my post the other day on ebooks and how the name has become fairly if not totally devalued in our industry, I conducted the following test on my list. The conditions and results are below.

I used a sample size of 5000 list members from my overall list of approx 50,000 subscribers. The test was blind, by that I mean it was an email pertaining to a new product of mine which when clicked through to revealed the purpose of the test and some secondary product information. The wording and all other variables were the same in all instances except the word ebook was replaced by the following alternates.

Resource guide, Strategy, Guide, Digital Guide, Blueprint.

CTRs from highest to lowest:

Resource Guide
    Strategy
    Blueprint
    Guide
    - Ebook
    Digital Guide

Note one mail also used ebook therefore six versions were sent out.

Few points

1. We are testing on a larger size sample over six weeks

2. This is far from conclusive, obviously.

I started this particular experiment out of curiously, my list being highly responsive to my mailings to begin with but any edge factor, as it were, that can increase ctr's is imo well worth the time to look at. I found it interesting that the much maligned "ebook" term scored higher than "digital guide" i think that term is not yet in the mindset fully or possibly an oxymoron perhaps in this context. I welcome feedback or other suggestions for alternate names as I plan to hone this more. I know, get a life etc lol but its a job not a hobby. I welcome suggestions. Lin

2. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

Lin, very interesting subject. Reminds me of the term, "Reality-based Self Defense" in the martial arts world. And don't be at all negative about your post. This is what evolution and paradigm shift are connected to. Definitely gave me something to think about. Thanks!

Rich

3. LindaSweetfield

Hi Rich, I appreciate that, thanks. Glad you found it useful too. Lin

4. mjsellars

mjsellars New Member

Your research is interesting, and I look forward to more.

The first four could be interpreted as physical products, whereas the last two are clearly digital items.

On my own site (where I sell an ebook about proofreading), I use the word 'course', only using the word 'ebook' on my buy page. The reason I did this was I was using AdWords and had heard that the very word 'ebook' on the landing page could detrimentally effect my quality scores.

The beneficial side-effect of this approach appears to be that I get an opportunity to promote the benefits of my product before the off-putting e-word gets used, by which point (hopefully) I've made the sale.

However, I haven't done any split testing etc to prove this theory.

Thanks again for your research.

5. LindaSweetfield

Hey Mike. The research continues apace here[​IMG] but I shall be reporting on anything that would be of use or interest to forum members

6. carterstory

carterstory New Member

Linda,
    Thanks for doing this test, it'll help all of us out!
    I know that I for one appreciate it [​IMG]