Enjoying your Coastal Vacations Adventure

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by jnapier, Oct 11, 2007.

1. jnapier

jnapier New Member

What's the BIG Idea?

It's a TV program on CNBC hosted by Donnie Deutsch. You might remember Donnie from another great TV program "The Apprentice" hosted by Donald Trump.

Donnie grew up in the advertising industry and inherited his fathers advertising agency and took it to higher levels by asking "Why Not Me?"

I enjoy watching this program because is tells the story of entrepreneurs. This is where I started when I was 17. I knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur, but I didn't know what I wanted to do. I tried alot and I failed alot and I had alot of successes. That's what makes success so much fun...it's the adventure.

How can I share 19 years of expirence with you? You'll want to follow the same road. Watching Donnies show will give you a place to begin.

Ever hear of Sam Adam's Beer? Did you know that it started in my hometown Cincinnati? Jim Kock's future was in his parents Cincinnati home for over 35 years. His father was a brewmaster with Hudepohl, a company which would be bought out and he'd later buy up the brewing assets to brew Sam Adams at.

Entrepreneurs are very independent, they don't like being told what to do...but more important...a strong desire and believe in yourself is important for your success.

Before I was with Coastal, I knew I'd be successful and I'd had many victories. I had a very strong believe in my abilities to market and to operate a business.

To be successful, you must first find out where your going to have to learn...and folks, I know there are people here who'll tell you that you don't have to learn everything...BUT YOU DO!!

You've got to take responsability for your own success and that starts from the very beginning. In my franchise I had to know EVERYTHING about my business. I cooked, I cleaned, I was the cashier, the steam table operator, I swept floor and I even went up on the roof to see that the flags got proper placement.

We all get comfortable, but it's important that you step out of what is comfortable because what is comfortable is what has gotten you to where you are today. If you want more, you've got to grow and be willing to step out to be more. When I was 19 I was calling on business owners and telling them how to run their business, this was WAY out of my comfort zone....but I had a burning desire and I knew I could be a successful business owner...and not work some dang job where I was just a number.

You deserve more and that's why you got involved with Coastal Vacations or why your looking at Coastal Vacations. It's not going to come to you on a silver platter, but the journey is worth it!

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  2. cgmom

cgmom New Member

Ok, I agree that the most important thing that we can do for our business is to recruit; however, I feel that at some point, it becomes impossible to give new business partners or new owners the type of training they deserve and that they were promised when you have a ton of new people!

At some point, you have to stop recruiting for yourself to provide new owners with training and mentoring which takes some time. I feel that is the problem a lot of directors are having. They bring in 30 people at a time and instead of taking the time to train these people, they continue to bring in more and more and no one is getting properly trainined, no one is making money except for the director making the false promises. Then, people have wasted money because they are not getting trained and have no guidance. They become frustrated and quit or end up having to switch teams or find a director who is willing to provide them with help.

So yes, at some point, you have to quit recruiting unless you want to just take people's money and not give them any training in return! Me personally, I couldnt sleep at night if I did not live up to my word!
  3. westfam11

westfam11 Member

Nikki,

Great post!

I totally agree with you and have experienced the problem you are talking about.

Keep up the good work!

Becky West
  4. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: cgmomI feel that at some point, it becomes impossible to give new business partners or new owners the type of training they deserve and that they were promised when you have a ton of new people!

I believe it depends on how you were training and IF you have been trained properly, you don't run into any issues in this area.

I am never over scheduled and I'm always available to my team. We we daily trainings. Monday we got together and did some advanced training on Business to business marketing - which is where most of the questions were for the day. Last night, I did some lasar coaching and listened to a new team member make her calls to her leads. The best call she did was the last call she did where the guy initially was a jerk, and I would have hung up...she hung in there with him and we'll see where it goes. Though it would have been best if the guy would have listened to where she asked him to go on the voice message she left.

When you look at the most successful directors, they do both group and individual training. The responsability is on the person being training to ask for assistance when they need it. We, as directors are responsible to our team, but not for our team.

Jay NaPier
  5. cgmom

cgmom New Member

Sorry Jay, but we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one!!

I completely believe in both group and individual training, however, the vast majority of directors that claim to offer one on one mentoring and personal attention fail to live up to their claims. I personally can't vouch for you but I do know what I am seeing out there. When people are seeking out other directors for help, there is a problem!
  6. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: cgmomthe vast majority of directors that claim to offer one on one mentoring and personal attention fail to live up to their claims.

I've kinda found the same thing...in a way. Personally, I've done alot of things for my team member. I love visiting with them and getting to know them. I've traveled the country to visit with them. I met one of my team member while waiting at the airport in California. I spent a Sunday in Nashville visiting the sights with my team members. I've danced and parties with them. I've gone to Disney's Animal Kingdom with them....I take my business very serious.

But, there are those who do not. Some get so busy that they don't remember who's buttering their bread....I've never forgotten.

Jay NaPier
  7. cgmom

cgmom New Member

Thanks Becky! I appreciate it!

Jay, if it is working for you and your new business owners are happy, that is great! Unfortunately, like I stated earlier, this is not usually the case.

God Bless!
    Nikki Carter
  8. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Who's on the fence???

You know as a Coastal Vacations Director you'll be talking with alot of different types of people. Each of them must...at some point make a decision if Coastal is right for them.

Now, I'ver never been one to push, pull or tug. I don't chase people down and I'm not here to sell anyone what Coastal has to offer. I'm looking for the people who want what I have.

Some Coastal Directors get attached to their prospects and will treat them like their pretty little pets. They call them several times a week, asking about their kids, their shopping spree, the mail man, how much gas is in their area, and what the weather is like......but folks.....where's the decision.

I have people who DO take their time, they have things to work out in life before they can get started with Coastal. I have people who join, 3, 6, and even 9 months after I've talked with them the first time. BUT, I don't chase them...they will usually email me about ounce a month or so letting me know they are still interested and that they are getting their funds together.

If you ARE one of those Coastal Directors who gets attached to your prospects.....STOP IT! Stop it!! Now!

Today, have a fence kicking party. Call the folks you've been chasing for 3-6 months and ask them for a final answer. Then, remove them from your list....don't waste your time chasing them. They've got your number...they'll call you if they REALLY are serious....AND, many Coastal Directors have done this and made quite a nice penny with the party.

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  9. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Mark Victor Hansen is someone I really admire in business. I've been a student of his for some time now. If you have not read the book he and Robert Allen wrote "The One Minute Millionaire" you should get your hands on it...I recommend Half dot com...it's a great read.

Anyway, I have attended some of Marks Mega events and there's one coming up, his Mega Speaking Empire event. My buddy Jeffery Combs spoke at the event last year.

But, I wanted to share something that came in the email today:

SUCCESS LEAVES FOOTPRINTS!

The real value in having a mentor lies in finding someone
    who has already accomplished the same or similar goal
    that you are trying to accomplish.

The sad fact is, many of the so-called speaking experts
    haven't actually done it for themselves! Instead, they
    rely on a hype-filled marketing campaign to overwhelm
    you into buying into their program.

Even if you get lucky and learn some tactics from these
    "anti-gurus" and experience some success, you will never
    learn the strategic thinking that goes into building a
    successful speaking empire.

When you follow the footprints of someone who is already
    successful, you stand a much higher chance of being
    successful yourself.

I'm not sharing this for any specific reason, there are several things you can take from this, so I'm going to leave it upto you to decide what you take from it.

Have a Great Friday!!

Jay NaPier
  10. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Sometimes you have to know when to say NO!

You know, I get alot of calls from people looking to make Coastal Vacations their business. I love what I do, it's my full time income. It's allowed me and my family to do so, so much.

Several months ago, we lost a newborn nephew and it was very tough on the family. They didn't have any money and were living with relatives. It was nice being in a position to help out.

About a year ago, a very nice old lady called and told me she really wanted to get into Coastal. She went through my entire system and we talked about her coming in at Level 1, that was the membership that best fit her budget. As we talked, she began to share more and more with me about her situation. She was 3 months behind on her rent and 2 months behind on her car payment. She had the money to get started with Coastal....but with this business -

You've got to have the heart of a Teacher and not the heart of a Salesperson.

My heart sank as I heard how bad a situation she was in. I told her there was no way I'd sell her a Coastal Membership....not because it couldn't help her, but because Timing Is Everything...and at the right time, this business is awsome. She for sure was not where she should be. I told her to pay up her rent and to get with the pastor at her Church. Tell him where she was at so they could help get her back on her feet. I told her, "Coastal will be here when you get on your feet!"

Coastal Vacations has Changed my life and MANY, MANY others....You've got to either find a way to get started, or make a plan to get started if it's right for you.

As always, when my phone rings...I answer it!

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  11. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Leading By Example

You know so, so many people will put the label "Leader" on their name...yet, do not have the numbers to support that label. As I mentioned before, being a leaders is about SALES...that's is....SALES!

When you've done the big numbers, you know ALOT that others do not know. You have to learn from expirence. You make a mistake..and you share it with your team, so they don't make the same mistake.

When I owned my restaurant franchise, I did EVERYTHING...Yes, everything. I managed by example. If the parking lot was dirty...I was out there. I swept floors...I clearned toilets...and whatever was required.

You know, you should NEVER ask anyone to do something you've not personally done...and that another tip.

Leading by example is realizing that you are NOT a training business, but a marketing company. You market the Coastal Membership...and make sales of the Coastal Membership. Some have put ALOT of their push into training, but it's important to realize that the training you do should be On The Job training....not get up on the stage and train.

You know, the best training I've ever gotten has been On The Job training...with LIVE work going on by someone.

Just out of highschool I took a job as a valet with the Westin Hotel. I made decent tips and enjoyed driving hte cars...it was a great job for me at the time. My job began to exapand and I was given the opportunity to be the late night valet/ bellman. It was even better as most trip to a room gave me a $5-$20 tip, vs. $1 to bring up a car.

One night I was waiting for the next guest when the night manager called me upstairs. He gave me a pair of boots and told me to shine them. I didn't know much about shining shoes, so I was concerned that I'd damage them for the guest. The manager really didn't want to hear what I said...but after saying it a few times, he got it...and showed me what I needed to know. There was a big machine to shine the shoes, but I didn't know a thing about using it.

So, the manager showed me how to do it on 1 shoe, then gave me the second for me to do. At the end of all this, he informed me that I'd just shined Neil Diamond's boots.

You know, learning by example is the BEST way to do it...and the best way to TEACH what we do. Don't put that LEADER label on...it might crash you whole business.

As always...when my phone rings..I answer it!

Jay NaPier
    Platunum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  12. jnapier

jnapier New Member

For Success With Coastal Vacations - Stop Selling!

I'm always amazed by the websites I read that say that Coastal Vacations is about Selling Memberships. We see all this Hype about selling membership, and how most people can't sell and don't want to sell...well, the secret is....

The people who have the most success with Coastal DO NOT SELL!

We use systems to sort and sift through leads and prospects.

A good example would be targeting the bridal industry. Now, everyone will not buy the membership, but what would happen is you'd do a bridal show. Get ALOT of prospects. Meet with the prospects to share what Coastal has to offer....and the people who see the value move forward.

No pressure, no chasing, No pushing, pulling or tugging. It's simply the ACT of doing the activity.

Now, if you don't do the work, you don't get the results...and hey, as I'm writing this I've got a virus and have spent most of the day in bed....BUT got bored and thought I'd share a thought or two.

If your not having the success you want with Coastal, STOP SELLING. Just be you. Go through the steps your director taught you...and it will come.

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  13. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Who YOU need an expirenced mentor for your Coastal Vacations Success

When I was 17, I got a job in a local franchise called Gold Star Chili. I waited tables...and eventually was shown how to run the steam table. It didn't pay much, but it was a nice job for a 17 year old. I worked for a gread guy who showed me everything I needed to know and let me go from there...if I needed something, he was only a phone call away.

Years later, at 25 I would go back to him and mentor with him. I spend 2 months working for him without pay so I could learn from his 15 years in the business. He taught me all the little things that the franchise didn't teach. All the shortcuts and we networked frequently as his store was very close to mine...so when each of us need help, we could borrow employees. It was a great way to learn to run this franchise...and when issue came about....I knew exactly who to call...as he had the answers...he'd been there, done that.

You know, with Coastal Vacations. I've modeled what I do after my buddy in the franchise. It works because I didn't just say...here's a book, read it. I didn't just say...log onto...I actaully run my business the same way I show my team members to run it. It works..and it also is very helpful to them to avoid costly mistakes.

The right mentor can show you how to profit from this business...WHEN you follow them.

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  14. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Providing the tools for success

When you consider the options for advertising your Coastal Business...there's ALOT available to you.

Magnetic Door Signs for your car (Gotta have em), Business cards (several options retail, b2b, opportunity - Gotta have em)

Copies of the DVD - Wow, I remember when the DVD came out. It was $25 to help pay for some of the cost to produce it. I bought 5 copies. Today, everyone gets one in their membership...and you can make copies.

When it comes to marketing your Coastal Business. The sky is the limit. A $1500 car wrap is not out of the question. Vacations are the life blood of the world. Everyone talk about their vacations....and WE have the tools to make it possible to get more, at a great rate.

I was at a Halloween party last night and one of the conversations was about taking a 2 night trip and staying in a cabin that would hold 6 - I asked about the cost. Over $300 a night.....You already know where that conversation went.

You should ALWAYS be marketing your business. Take every opportunity, look how other businesses market their business and ask yourself if you can use that for Coastal...in most cases you can.

When it comes to the internet, there's alot that people don't know. Google Adwords has been a great place to advertise....but, when you advertise there you've got to understand WHAT your getting. your not paying for a lead, but for a looksie....and there are alot of COASTAL people who want a looksie at what your doing. I've paid $3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and all the way upto $8000 in one month for this service, but was it really providing me with value. Let's just say that I don't pay anywhere near that now!!!

Search engines and internet marketing is like running an ad in the yellow pages. When you need a plumber...your right there with all the other plumbers. Or, you can use more exclusive marketing methods that allow you to be THE vacation option and THE opportunity.....but it's upto you how you market your business. Ya just have to be honest and ethical.

This is where SOME have no ethics. I know a guy who's out there who seems to have gotten his training from what seems like the "Let's make a deal" school of Coastal Vacations....and I suggest to everyone that they AVOID that....as, it's not doing you any favors. And I happen to know that this guy has burned alot of bridges.

When it comes to being successful with Coastal Vacations, EXPECT awsome training. Expect a good relationship with your director. Expect to learn new things. Expect them to do their part....BUT Don't expect them to do everything for you. YOU'VE got to do your part as well.

I was on the phone with a director on Monday who was sharing an expirence they had with their director. She was very nice about it....but she was not happy with the way her director was not answering his phone, not returning her emails and phone calls. And, she'd not even gotten her membership yet. Talk about getting the relationship off on the wrong foot.

I don't put a fence between myself and my team. I've taken calls from team members at 11PM on Christmas Eve...talk about a time NOT to answer the phone. But, that's what it means to me...being accountable to your team. And, it was a great call. That call released a team member of mine who is in the service...now serving in Japan....but, I didn't know who it was. I just answer my phone.

If your phone is not ringing, you might be doing something wrong....plug in and see if you find a few things your not doing or your doing different.

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  15. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Ya gotta be a Self Starter

One of the things we look for in a successful Director is being a self starter. When you've got a job....they tell you what time to be there and the fear of being fired keeps you on time....or, maybe it's that you have people depending on you??? Either way...you get there when your supposed to.

As an entrepreneur - You decide, when and IF your going to do any work. You CAN take as much time off as you wish...but you've got to ALSO make things happen or you'll soon find yourself out of business.

Being a self starter means you know what your supposed to do and you Do It! Now, some do IT more than others...but you do it. Now, the it comes in many formes and many methods.

Last Summer one of the people here in Nashville that I know from meeting him at a Coastal event had scheduled an event - a trade show to get leads. We were going to work together on this....but, as time went on his resources dried up and I agreed to pick up all the expenses and he would work the event.

The event went well, but when we went to go over everything we found that there were about 200 leads or people who had registered for a complimentary vacation. When we went to put an event together, we found that only a hand full were interested in meeting at a hotel for a brief presentation.

Lesson Learned, but here's where the focus SHOULD be. Had WE not been self starters...this event would never have happened.

You know, there are ALOT of options for selling Coastal Memberships, but YOU'VE got to be a self starter. You can make it as easy as calling leads or you can put together an event like the one I've mentioned....but YOU are the one who must start or NOTHING will happen.

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director
    Coastal Vacations
  16. jnapier

jnapier New Member

The last few days have been sad ones in Nashville. Porter Wagoner passed away on Sunday. You might remember "The Porter Wagoner Show" from years ago.

Porter gave Dolly Parton her start in Country Music. Porter wore bright colored suits with rhinestones and had alot of personality. He was a great man. I was introduced to Porter through Opryland Theme Park. There was a show there Country Music USA and they did some of Porters Songs There ( His show was before my time).

I went to Porters funeral today because I wanted to pay my respects to him. I'd never met him, but he'd made an effect on my life through his songs and through his style. Standing out from the crowd with his trademark suits.

There's something to learn about your Coastal business around every corner. In this case, Porter is a great example of being different and being recognized. There are ALOT of Coastal Vacations Directors...but only 1 YOU! I've taught personal branding to alot of Coastal Directors and it's helped in their success. Porter is a great example of Personal Branding.

Country Music is a unique family of artists and writers. This town is very well networked and the energy here is very strong. Living in Nashville, it's not odd to run into an artist here and there...but you know they are just people. People like you and me.

Coastal is alot like Nashville as there are various groups within the business. Nashville has it's share of traditional country on one side and then there's the more different side with groups like Big N Rich. With music is more subjective...you like what you like. With Coastal...it's a totally different ball game. We're not talking subjective like ART.

Opinion is opinion and what works....WORKS! What doesn't work.....you'll learn that either from your director OR from experience. I've done both! One way to short cut this is to goto the events and to attend the trainings. One thing I learned at training events is that the old "I'll just bring you 3 sales" - It's a waste of your time.

Anyone can be successful with Coastal. The first thing you've got to realize is that it's a Hands On business. It's not something that you do as a hobby. Here's why....your going to be training your team members and they will require that you know everything about Coastal. The more you work your Coastal business...the more you learn.

Can you do Coastal part-time. Sure. Can you have success part-time yes. The key is to have the right systems in place to assist you in doing that. I use a system that works with a combination of ContactTalk, Official Coastal System, the Telecenter and ME. I've consistently earned 5 figures per month using this system and working 2-4 hours a day, 3.5 days a week.

It's only work if you DON'T LOVE IT. I LOVE helping people. I'm more of the directors director. Directors seek me out to find out how I've done what I've done and to learn HOW to do the same thing. I enjoy teaching and mentoring Coastal Directors and I openly share what works....AND what doesn't work.

Consistently raise the bar. You know, when you've had $30,$40, and $50,000 months....it's easy to just sit back and enjoy, BUT it's at that point that you should raise the bar. Expect more from yourself and continue to grow your business.

I'm putting together some tips that I'm going to share with you....and they'll be up soon.

As always, when my phone rings...I answer it!

Jay NaPier
    Platinum Director

Jay NaPier
  17. jnapier

jnapier New Member

I just posted a video to my blog...drop by to see a video of Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton.

Jay NaPier
  18. cgmom

cgmom New Member

I love Dolly! I live close to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN and am a huge fan! She is huge around East Tennessee obviously. What would we have done without Dolly? Just felt the need to share.

God Bless,
    Nikki Carter
  19. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Awsome Nikki...Hey, the next time I'm over your way - Maybe we can get together for a cup of coffee. I love Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg area. We usually go there 4-6 times a year.

Jay NaPier
  20. cgmom

cgmom New Member

That would be great, Jay! You should definitely let me know next time you are in the area!

Nikki Carter