Ezine Articles Scam Policy

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by Michael Merry, May 1, 2010.

1. Michael Merry

Michael Merry New Member

Some forum users may be unaware of a new 'Ezine Articles' policy.
    Ezine no longer permits use of the word "scam" in article titles.
    I believe this is as it should be. Many authors are using this word to attract undue attention to their articles, often with a view to mislead readers about article content, or misrepresent a competitor's products.
    It's time article directories put a stop to this poisonous practice.
    For those interested I include the link to the Ezine notice.
    http://blog.ezinearticles.com/2009/06/eliminating-the-scam-pest.html

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Michael Merry: Some forum users may be unaware of a new 'Ezine Articles' policy.
    Ezine no longer permits use of the word "scam" in article titles.
    I believe this is as it should be.
    I agree! When I first started writing articles I wrote a few with the sc*m word in them but it doesn't attract the kind of traffic you want anyways so I quit.

Positive attracts positive and visa versa.[​IMG]

3. I also wrote a couple of articles with this word in the title when I first started online.

I wouldn't consider using it now I know a lot more about article marketing.

4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Barb Thornback: I also wrote a couple of articles with this word in the title when I first started online.

I wouldn't consider using it now I know a lot more about article marketing.
    LOL - sometimes I run across something I wrote a few years back and cringe... but then it just shows us that if we don't give up, we keep learning, eh?![​IMG]

5. ryanbiddulph

ryanbiddulph New Member

I appreciate the Ezine policy but if engaged in an opportunity which is misunderstood and polarizing I appreciate publishers which allow me to include "scam" in the title.

The word "scam" often represents a 4-letter word for a lazy entrepreneur. Newbie work at home 'ers need to realize this.

I don't fight Ezine on this because fighting is a waste of energy. I simply move on to other publishers who don't adopt a similar policy when writing articles about scam versus the truth.

6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I just don't like clicking on article with '_____ is a scam' in the title , only to realize they only did that to get the click so they can now promote THEIR opportunity. Sleezy tactics IMO.[​IMG]

7. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

So many rules and regulations.
    [​IMG]Victoria

I never really liked it, however have done it myself.

8. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Probably a good idea. Ezinearticles has lots of rules and regulations, which can be a pain to some of us who use them to submit articles to, but at the same time, there is a reason they are number one, and part of it has to do with the fact that they have so many rules and regulations! [​IMG]

9. carterstory

carterstory New Member

I'm glad, I'm so tired of seeing Is ___ A scam?
    Then you go to a completely 1 sided review of the company..
    or you get ___ Is a scam! and you get the reasons to join their company.

I agree the ezines has the strictest rules, but that's why they are rated highly, and why people go to it.. they know that they are going to get quality.

10. chucks

chucks New Member

No more Ezine Scams [​IMG]

They are catering to their readers, and so they should.

I assume other article directories will follow suit.

To your success,
    Chucks

11. samda

samda Member

I do not encourage this. Last week I tried to submit an article under the title "How to avoid Loan Scam" and I was not able to do so. Then I submitted the article under the topic How to avoid Loan Fraud

The point I want to say here is, now ezine will miss many articles that helps users avoid scam. Say for example if a industry like loan, credit card, online money earning are full of scams and many authors prefer to write step by step articles on how to avoid them.

From users perspective this is good and gives good usability. Instead of adding this as hard rule why don't they alter their terms of submission and handle this with their editorial team?

12. cjmo75

cjmo75 Guest

I'm glad they decided to stop the use of this word. I see the word "scam" used in many product reviews. It attracts the reader because everybody is curious about a scam product, then it goes into detail explaining why the product is not a scam or how it protects against scams. Basically, it's very misleading and I'm glad it can no longer be used.

13. Michael Merry

Michael Merry New Member

samueldarwin: Last week I tried to submit an article under the title "How to avoid Loan Scam" and I was not able to do so. Then I submitted the article under the topic How to avoid Loan Fraud
    The point I want to say here is, now ezine will miss many articles that helps users avoid scam. Say for example if a industry like loan, credit card, online money earning are full of scams and many authors prefer to write step by step articles on how to avoid them.
    From users perspective this is good and gives good usability. Instead of adding this as hard rule why don't they alter their terms of submission and handle this with their editorial team?

It's a good question. The problem is too many authors now use the word 'scam' as a cheap article marketing tactic - the use of deception to promote something the consumer was not expressly looking for. Who can imagine this practice tolerated by the media, or by reputable publications such as Scientific American and The New England Journal Of Medicine?
    Bottom Line..Ezine has a reputation to protect, so the new policy should not surprise anyone

14. BeAChampion

BeAChampion Member

That's a great policy EzineArticles.com started. I didn't know they started doing that until I saw this thread.

I agree that there is way too much false information out there so its good EzineArticles.com is leading the way to make sure things are more professional as they should be.

15. talfighel

talfighel Silver Member

This is good to know. I have personally written 2 or 3 of them and did not get any good traffic.

16. CarrieLyn

CarrieLyn Guest

mountainmom5: I just don't like clicking on article with '_____ is a scam' in the title , only to realize they only did that to get the click so they can now promote THEIR opportunity. Sleezy tactics
    I completely agree! I think you know before you even click on an article with that kind of title that it's going to be a bait and switch tactic or something like that. These articles are probably more targeted to people who are looking into MLM or a company for the first time.

ryanbiddulph: The word "scam" often represents a 4-letter word for a lazy entrepreneur. Newbie work at home 'ers need to realize this.
    Ryan, I have to admit I like your comparison of scam to lazy! Touche' my friend. (Think that's how you spell it) I hear people blaming network marketing for their failures but the reality is they quit, it was too hard, too much work. Waah! [​IMG] You've got to make a decision in this business to stick with it, work hard, work harder on yourself than your business for awhile and then you get lucky. [​IMG]

17. carterstory

carterstory New Member

Personally I think that they should allow the "s" word but it needs to be moderated with the submission... if it's a "reverse" scam article, or an article solely based on the attempt to sell other programs, then it should be banned.. but in cases of things like phishing scam, or work at home scam, etc. But MonaVie Scam, or Click Bank Scam for the sole purpose to sell another affiliate program, or health juice.. needs to stop.. I know I'm tired of seeing it.. it's just ridiculous.

18. cjmo75

cjmo75 Guest

I think this is a good policy. The reasom is because articles with "scam" in the tile really peak your interest and make you want to read the article. That's fine, but usually when you start reading the article, it isn't talking about a scam, but promoting an affiliate product.

The author has simply used the word "scam" to get you to read the article. It's very misleading, and I really can't see how it can lead to many sales for them.

I find it's much better to simply provide good content and not try to mislead the reader. You are building trust this way.