Fortune is in the follow-up vs. If they're interested in what we have to offer they'll cal

Discussion in 'Coastal Vacations' started by SAS78, Jul 13, 2007.

1. SAS78

SAS78 New Member

Just curious as to which of the above two statements you agree with the most and why? I have recently started my business and I am extremely excited about it! I am experimenting with many different lead types e.g. free on-line postings, Real-Time purchased leads through Responsive Data, Ad in local newspaper.

I am getting many responses, working to qualify people and fill my pipeline. I'm trying to determine how to work my business and what will work best for me. I am currently working elsewhere full-time, Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm and I work my Coastal business part-time in the evenings, so I am not yet in a place where I have 12-hours per day to dedicate to my business (unless I give up sleep and I do like to sleep! Kinda need it to survive). My goal is to be working my business full-time in 6-months.

Any feedback with regards to your thoughts around the above two statements would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Steph

2. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Good question.

I have heard it both ways.

I am getting to the point I may start doing "If they are interested in what I have they will call back"

You call someone back who requested to be contacted about making money from home only to leave 2-3(some people leave more) messages without a return call - OBVIOUSLY IF they wanted to make a change in their lives and were SERIOUS they would call back, heck I even leave a toll free number. I am getting to the point I will make the 1st call MAYBE 2nd and keep going. This also happens on the follow up call. [​IMG]

What does everyone else think? Jay?

Rhonda

3. hsimpsonjr

hsimpsonjr Silver Member

Well, I'm not Jay, but...[​IMG] I think you do it both ways. You call and try to do the follow up but then you can have one of those free message phone numbers from K7 (I think that is what it is called) or have an 800 number to send them to in you get their answering machine. You can't just keep calling and calling until you finally get them. You would never have enough time to do that but if you leave a number they can call to get more info, that might bring in a few people who you couldn't get in touch with. BUT, over all, don't try to convince someone that they should join your business if they seem wishy washy. That happened to me and it cost me $3,040.00 . [​IMG]

4. SAS78

SAS78 New Member

How did you end up spending $3,040?!?!?!

5. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Hi Steph,

The fortune IS in the follow up, but most of the people who say that missed the most important part. The fortune is in following up with the SERIOUS people.

The CSG trains to follow up, follow up, follow up....WHY?? Because most people can't afford to buy enough leads to keep them busy on even a part time basis.

The people who are serious will CALL YOU!! It's call....A Clue!

I don't take people to Q and A calls and I don't do follow up. I'm specifically looking for people who are Coachable, Trainable and Dependable....and Dependable means that they are serious enought to remember and attend the Q and A call. I simply ask that the people call me back afterwards.

Call me if you'd like more assistance.

Jay NaPier
    Level 3 Director/ Master Trainer
    Coastal Vacations

6. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: hsimpsonjrover all, don't try to convince someone that they should join your business if they seem wishy washy. That happened to me and it cost me $3,040.00 .

Wow...and I take it your not having a good experience with the direction you went with your Coastal business??

I'm curious where the $3040 came from...do tell.

Jay NaPier

7. kiminco

kiminco New Member

This is an awesome topic! Rhonda, I am having the same problem as you are. 95% of my follow up calls don't show up but they geniuenly seem interested when I initially talk to them. I have been trying the "If they are serious they will call me back" method for the past week or so. I have had 1 person call me back. So, kinda early to really tell but I know I've saved myself a lot of aggrevation this past week. I would love to know how the most successful people in Coastal handle this. Steph - thank you for asking this question!

Thanks,
    Kim

8. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Wow $3040!!!! That is terrible.

Jay makes a valid point about having enough leads I saw the CSG system and the price of the CEM leads - Whoah for a new person just starting out they will run out of leads quick fast and in a hurry and I can see why they are calling, calling, calling people.

Jay when you say you don't take people to Q&A calls you mean you don't 3 way them or remind them correct? You do direct them to the Q&A calls and ask them to call you afterwards?

Also when you say you don't follow up you mean after your initial conversation and you lead them to the information be it the website or Q&A call you just tell them to call you back? What do you say to them? I am also looking for coachable, dependable and trainable people. [​IMG]

This is great information.

Rhonda

9. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: rhondapJay when you say you don't take people to Q&A calls you mean you don't 3 way them or remind them correct? You do direct them to the Q&A calls and ask them to call you afterwards?

Hi Rhonda,

Yes. I'm looking for people who are serious and will remember to attend the conference calls.

I had a lady a few months back who I mentioned that there was a seminar she could attend. She called me the day of the seminar to make sure it was still going on...that's serious.

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations

10. rhondap

rhondap New Member

Quoting: jnapier had a lady a few months back who I mentioned that there was a seminar she could attend. She called me the day of the seminar to make sure it was still going on...that's serious.

Now that is serious!

Rhonda

11. ateamfuntimer

ateamfuntimer New Member

Everyone understand this is a numbers game. The more people you talk to the more people will join. Get as many leads as cheap as you can and just get them to your marketing system. Its funny my follow up is so different now. I dont have time for non serious people. I call them first , qualify them, get them to my site and them a conference call. After that I give them options on how to contact me. The serious ones do. The ones I have to chase I know I will have to chase when they get involved so I dont chase anyone anymore. There are so many resources for them to get trained and get plugged in I refuse to chase them. It comes down to their "WHY". Why are they wanting to get started in a home based business? If their why is big enough? If they arent serious then there is no need to be serious with them. Spend your time with the serious ones. And use the system it does weed out the ones not serious.

Adam

12. decker2006

decker2006 New Member

I wish people would just be upfront and just say yes or no. The ones that drive me crazy are the ones that show a ton of interest, go to your site a bunch of times, spend a lot of time on the phone with you or exchanging emails, tell you they want to join, then when you try to get them to take the final step, they don't take your calls. Those people get the 3 strike rule and 1 final email. Do you guys think that is too much? I understand not everyone is going to join, which is totally fine, but I would rather someone just tell me they are no longer interested than keep me wondering what happened.

Noreen

13. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Hi Noreen,

I teach a simple, 3 step system that WORKS....Here's why it works.

1) Take your business seriously, and don't be flexible in how you do it. If you were calling me for the first time and I asked you to explain everthing to me YOU'VE got to take a stand and explain that that's not how you do business and that you will require them to do their own research.

2) Get a decision on EACH CALL. Sometimes this is REALLY simple, if your a chaser. When the person doesn't take your call and doesn't call you back...NEXT!

3) You can use relationship marketing if you choose, but the relationship starts when they are ready to purchase a membership.

I had a very nice lady tell me her life story in 3 minutes last night. I instantly went to my "Grab a Pen" and here's your info, so I could move on.

You can't get attached to your leads as some will become a member of your team, some won't, so what....Keep Moving.

Jay NaPier
    Coastal Vacations

14. decker2006

decker2006 New Member

Excellent points - especially #1.

Something that you pointed out would be very helpful to me - get a decision on each call. I sometimes leave things too open ended. It is something I have to work on. Thanks for the insights.

Noreen

15. kiminco

kiminco New Member

Jay - thanks for your post. It also helped me!

Kim

16. goldmills

goldmills New Member

Harold had an unscrupulous new member chargeback on him.

that is how he lost the $3k.

Harold did absolutely nothing wrong, the person was a nut to begin with.... [​IMG]

Happens sometimes, it's rare, but it can happen.

Jeff

17. cgmom

cgmom Member

Is there a time limit on when they can do a chargeback? What if they are one of those who think they they can order the package and sit and wait on the money to come rolling in without doing anything?

18. robertlaf

robertlaf New Member

A good follow up sequence can EASILY quadruple
    your sales because rather than just being able to sell
    to the same person once, you can sell to them 5
    times... 10 times... even 100 times.

The fortune truly is in the follow up.

Now here's another popular saying you may have
    heard:

"A prospect has to see your message at least 7 times
    before they actually buy."

While it certainly is true that your prospects need
    repeated exposures to your offer before they will
    decide to take action on it...

Merely SEEING your message isn't enough.

Unfortunately, this "7 times rule of thumb" only
    paints half the picture. Many people implement it
    the wrong way.

See, when you follow up with someone, you cannot
    continue to hit them up with a sales pitch every
    time.

If a plain old sales pitch was enough, they would
    have bought the first time. Seeing or hearing it 7
    more times isn't going to do the trick.

The reason they didn't buy the first time around is
    because they weren't convinced that you'll really be
    able to deliver what your sales pitch promises.

You have to prove it to them.

The way this is done is by educating them and
    showing them you know what you're talking about
    BEFORE they ever do business with you.

The purpose of the follow up is to build trust and
    credibility because these are some of the biggest
    obstacles that hold anyone back from making a
    purchase.

Every time you contact someone, each message
    should sell them on the idea that their time and
    money will be well spent with you not because
    you asked for it, but because you gave them
    valuable information for free.

Ann Sieg

19. jnapier

jnapier New Member

Quoting: robertlafA good follow up sequence can EASILY quadruple
    your sales because rather than just being able to sell
    to the same person once, you can sell to them 5
    times... 10 times... even 100 times.

Hi Ann,

Thanks for posting, but you OBVIOUSLY don't know anything about Coastal Vacations. 3 times is the MAXIMUM you can sell to someone!!

Please, do us all a favor and get to know the product and the subject before you post.

Jay NaPier

20. robertlaf

robertlaf New Member

Quoting: jnapier3 times is the MAXIMUM you can sell to someone!!
    You sure take things literally. The topic was should you call them back or not, so because she said 7 her writing is irrelevant to this thread? If she said 3 that would make it relevant . Why don't you comment on the wisdom in this womans' writings next time, thanks for posting though . I also didn't think it was exclusively for Coastal but a general discussion on the topic. Do me a favor and never mind lol.