Forum Moderators...

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by samda, Feb 26, 2009.

1. samda

samda Member

Hi,

This may look a little odd. But this is just an idea, don't bang me for this.

Vishal is doing a great job. He is a one of the perfect administrator in today's forum market. But why don't he selects a couple of professionals in the forum and award a moderator role.

Sometimes spam posts just escapes Vishal's eyes. The reason may be, he is not round the clock.

As the Admin, gets into the website only on IST there are chances that anyone can spam when he sleeps !

So If he nominates some moderators from other country it would be great.

Vishal, this is just an idea and I hope you would have thought about this. As always you would be having a fabulous answer for this too !!!

Regards
    Sam

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

I agree with your views and quite a few senior members have volunteered for this.

samueldarwin: Sometimes spam posts just escapes Vishal's eyes. The reason may be, he is not round the clock.
    Yes it's true but that's a rare case and I really don't see a threat to forum out of that. At the most the posts may stay for a little over 12 hours. This forum has an excellent pre-moderation feature by which I screen all new members before they are approved.

Hence the occurrence of spam is really not an issue here.

Moreover, it somehow makes me shaky handing over the responsibilities of the forum to someone else. I know I may have to do it one time or the other but at the moment, I'm pretty content with how things are going [​IMG]

3. tygersclaw

tygersclaw New Member

Vishal it may be hard to turn over some of the duties of Moderating the forum to some members, but trust me, in the end you will find it will give you more time to simply enjoy the forum you built. Remember, you are STILL the Administrator, and the Moderators will be expected to act as you dictate on the board, and under the rules you establish for them.

On my biggest forum, "The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club", I set up specific qualifications for those who wished to be a Moderator as well I also compiled a list of rules and guidelines for the "Team".

I started with 2 Moderators who were both senior members and had proven they were knowledgeable about the main topic(s) and I slowly added to the Team as the board grew.

Now I have a very GOOD and experienced team of 9 Moderators who, with different time zones taken into consideration, can be on the board up to 20 hours a day. This means I do not have to spend hours and hours reading all the new posts to ensure that there is no offending posts, and instead I can enjoy my forum like the members do.

My board averages 220 new posts per day and it keeps growing. By this time next year, it is forecast (based on growth percentages) that we will be averaging 390 posts a day.

So having a Moderator team whom you will trust will not only make your time on the forum more enjoyable, but as well for ALL members too.

Some current stats from my forum (yeah I am bragging a bit as I am pretty proud of this small site)

The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums Statistics
    Threads: 12,488, Posts: 117,047, Members: 11,551, Active Members The Last 30 Days: 986

4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

tygersclaw: Vishal it may be hard to turn over some of the duties of Moderating the forum to some members, but trust me, in the end you will find it will give you more time to simply enjoy the forum you built. Remember, you are STILL the Administrator, and the Moderators will be expected to act as you dictate on the board, and under the rules you establish for them.
    You are right tygersclaw. I know one day or the other I will have to shoulder the responsibilities.