General info on Multi Level Marketing

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by coreyjroman, Aug 4, 2005.

1. HomeBizMama New Member

I just started looking into MLM trying to find ways to build my residual income. I've tried a few things here and there and end up quitting within a couple weeks. I do not blame the company nor program. I was just not ready for it. I did not have the proper training from my sponsors that I was expecting. All I can say is that I like the idea of network marketing/MLM. You are rewarded for advertising the business and sponsoring others.
  2. WARRANTIES4LESS New Member

Good point,

It is all about you, and the decisions we make are our own, so when you quit, for whatever reason, it was your decision, so it was nice to see you said it like it was, you quit after a few weeks.

The point is, you cannot hope to succeed when you quit, so hopefully you will find that opportunity which you won't want to quit, and you have better support to help you make the right decision and not quit.

Sadly, most people quit, and for the same reasons, they didn't get rich in first month. lol It takes a lot longer than a month, in fact, if most people would not listed to all the nonsense, and set realistic goals of perhaps breaking even in three months, fewer would quit the industry.

Good luck, Mike
  3. Savvie New Member

Such great points made here guys! I've learned some key points over the past several months from trial and error, and from people who have gained useful insight through experience.

When first going into NM/MLM, it's easy to get anxious and want to "start right away and earn money," but it really is wise to take the time to do a lot of research on opportunities... and on yourself first.

What are your strong interests and beliefs? What kind of company/product would support those interests? How much money can you initially invest (or willing to invest)? Can you afford monthly fee/autoship requirements, or is there an option of no monthly obligations? What avenues of advertising do you plan to use, and does that company allow it? Does the company/product have something unique about it, so it's not "just another one of those...?" Is the comp plan realistic to you? What are your weaknesses, and can you find a sponsor/team that have strengths in those areas? The list can go on and on, but just know what really matters to you.

Then know that it takes time. Don't give up so soon on something you put a lot of time and research into. You really have to realize that the majority of people out there earning a good income at home have been at it for quite some time.

If you've done your research and got involved in something you really believe in and enjoy sharing with others, getting through the slow days is a lot more doable.... and the good days are beyond exciting!
  4. WARRANTIES4LESS New Member

Exactly,

You quit, you lose, so I am glad to hear that you have learned this important component of success. There is a ton of good advice on this forum, and most will be of benefit to the newbie in any business. It takes time to builld a home or internet based income, and it is also getting more difficult, so hang in there.

The one lesson that stands out for me is one that I will never forget. I was in one MLM company many years ago working as hard as ever, and one of my downline was frustrated, wasn't happening fast enough, had only sponsored one person, etc. and was ready to quit.

I knew one person wasn't significant start after the first three months, but I had been in same situation, and I am glad I had a sponsor to get me through the tough times everyone has when starting a business. I stuck it out, but she finally quit at the three month point, where most will quit when it is not producing a profit.
    but I couldn't save her, or convince her.

Long story short, that one lady who she had recruited turned out to be one of those shining stars, and as she ended up rolling up to me, she has been responsible for well over six figures in my earnings over the past decade. Not only in that MLM, but in others we have worked, so you never know, all it takes is one person to make you financially free, but only if you don't quit. If this woman who quit is ever reading this story, it would crush her. Don't quit, certainly not after only three months, some people do not jump in as quickly as others, so this lady didn't get busy until she was comfortable, and it took her three month to get her first customer, so hang in there.

Good luck to all, Mike
  5. GavinStephenson New Member

MLM is great and easy people just dont have a clue. I was in the same position coming from cooparate world.

Your income doesnt follow how hard you work it follows your personal growth. Doesnt make sence. How can you work harder if you not expand you mind. LOL Simple concept but people seem to think you can jump in the boat and success

Takes time but ive broken though and now i am teaching others

Thank you for this post.. took me back to when i first started and how grateful i am that i didnt give up

Peace
  6. DEasy1 New Member

While the MLM system appears to make sense logically, it is one of those things that i have yet to see work out in practice personally. Has anyone here ever seriously succeeded with any MLM program, and if so how exactly did you do that. I am doing my homework, and I'm not hearing good thing about these programs, yet the ideas of the system seem so solid. Why is this the case?
  7. stardreamer New Member

Wonderful information, very helpful. Yes, it's so important to determine if an opportunity is legitimate and worth one's efforts. I find that often direct marketing companies offer products and service superior to what can be purchased in the stores. Why? Because they need to in order to successfully compete. IMO, it's important to market a product that a person believes in and would use even if they weren't building a business. Also keep in mind market trends. I'm especially excited about the opportunity I have chosen, because I'm very health conscious and benefit greatly from the product, AND health related marketing is positioned in front of a trillion $$ marketing trend.
  8. gelder New Member

Ok. liked it!
  9. WARRANTIES4LESS New Member

DEasy1: While the MLM system appears to make sense logically, it is one of those things that i have yet to see work out in practice personally. Has anyone here ever seriously succeeded with any MLM program, and if so how exactly did you do that. I am doing my homework, and I'm not hearing good thing about these programs, yet the ideas of the system seem so solid. Why is this the case?

Good point,

Like most businesses, it takes time to become successful, and few give MLM enough time, and this is the number one reason most fail, they quit before the begin.

You are right, very few make a full time living at MLM, but some do, it is up to the individual, and since most start part time, the climb to the top is much longer than people are led to believe.

There are many things to research before choosing a particular MLM, but in a recession, you have to be even more careful. I learned this lesson in traditional businesses as well as in MLM, so do your research.

Having learned to be diversified has gotten me through all the economic ups and downs, just as focusing on recession proof businesses has this year. In the last recession, when I was in only a traditional business, it opened my eyes to diversify and focus on more recession proof businesses, and this is when I got serious about online marketing.

I have since phased out all but one of my traditional businesses and am now able to operate a half dozen online businesses, so with far less overhead and exposure to economic collapses like this one, I would never start a traditional business in a recession.

All one has to do is look at your own purchasing patterns to determine which businesses to avoid in a recession. How many things have you trimmed in your budget, as example. I use to own a traditional travel agency and in last recession, if not for major corporate accounts, I would have died like many others did, so now is not a good time for travel businesses.

Simply put, if you make a list of things you are cutting back on, these are the businesses to avoid, both traditional and in MLM. If you spend enough time researching, you will find many successful online MLM businesses, so keep researching, they are out there.

Success to all, Mike
  10. easierway New Member

Thanks Jeff,

I have been an entrepreneur for several years. I have looked at many different types of offline network marketing comanies, but have not had much success at them. I tried doing an online store once, and also an online mortgage thing several years ago. I spent a fortune on PPC advertising, and didn't make a penny.

I think with the current economy we are in, people need to be able to make extra income without having to fork out alot of money to get started.

I recently started looking to the internet, and I really believe that this is going to be very promising.
  11. WARRANTIES4LESS New Member

Good point,

Yes, this recession is a dual edge sword for the industry. On one hand, the usual MLM products will be hurt, but on the other, many more people will be coming into the industry due to the need for extra income, or to replace income from lost jobs as unemployment rises.

Again, as mentioned earlier, you have to choose more wisely in a recession and not jump into just any business. Simply analyze your budget cutting you have done in your family and if any of the products are sold by MLM's, then expect those to be impacted the most. This is one of the basics of business 101, don't go into a business that is going to be impacted most from current recession.

Success to all, Mike
  12. strosdegoz New Member

Great thread, i enjoyed reading through the posts.
    Lots of great information.

I am also into MLM and for me is the best way to build a Long and Stable Residual Income online.

Choosing the right MLM business for you is one of the most important steps when you are starting.
    You must like and believe in the products they are selling or else it will become pretty hard to sell them to others.
  13. dmof10 New Member

mlm can be a great business if you find the right company and have a upline willing to help you. I was in Anway and had a great sponsor. I just was not able to build a business in the company. With the economy the way it is today we had all better find another way to make money.
  14. shonna27 New Member

i have stated a hundred times in this forum that im new and the one that has worked out the best for me is mlm. It does cost money(even though i swore off paying for another program but i didnt seem to mind paying because the money didnt go to the website owners it went to who promoted it to me. It is slow and most people think they are get rich quick programs and when they sign up and relize they actually do have to do something they quit. I dont have money to invest in promotions, but i do have some time and i work at it atleast 3 hours a day and i get atleast 1 signup a day. I am also still learning and as many times as i email my downline and tell them to take the time to learn also, they would rather quit than do a little research. It is fustrating, and these are the things people dont tell you. I have a wonderful product but not enough prospects that want to actually work at it.
  15. shonna27 New Member

by the way great post!
  16. mr127500 New Member

I agree with a lot of what is being said here. My only issue with some mlm's is the compensation strucutre. Are your sponsors incented to continue to mentor you, or if you blow it out o fthe water will you move off their downline, or if you are in a two up, after you pass up your first two sales, then who helps you and what is there incentive to do so? I work in a override comission structure, seems to work better for me. thoughts on the subject?
  17. WARRANTIES4LESS New Member

mr127500: I agree with a lot of what is being said here. My only issue with some mlm's is the compensation strucutre. Are your sponsors incented to continue to mentor you, or if you blow it out o fthe water will you move off their downline, or if you are in a two up, after you pass up your first two sales, then who helps you and what is there incentive to do so? I work in a override comission structure, seems to work better for me. thoughts on the subject?

Agreed, not all compensation plans are fair for all, so you have to weigh all these factors before choosing your MLM. When you mention 2-UP where you pass up your first two sales, called training sales by most, although these look good on the surface, most will never sell more than one, so they will quit when they see their only sale commission go to their sponsor after months of promoting. This is a back breaker for newbies who need the money fast, and this is the thorn in any of the 2-Up or even 1-UP deals.

The only way you will see success in MLM is to have a system which gets people paid in less than three months, especially true if you are forced into an autoship requirement. Most people never sell or recruit more than one, so I prefer seeing less money upfront and shared more fairly with newbies and those just starting. The idea behind this is it is far better to get everyone covering their auto ship purchases fast so they stay with business. Attrition is the killer, and why pass up commissions don't work for most.

Success to all,
  18. abundantlife New Member

I've read much of this thread. Lots of good information. One thing I didn't see commented on, but I may have missed it, has to do with sites or affiliate programs that provide excellent training without marketing another product or service. There are several online and if you get a good one it can almost make your primary business upline unnecessary. I do mean this with some reservation.

If you develop your own data base and are able to become attached to marketing training it gets to a point where it doesn't really matter what happens with your company because you have the training and the following who are actually YOUR organization. I hope I'm saying this in an understandable way.

If anyone is like minded perhaps you can pick up this idea and expand on it. I'm almost intimidated because the contributors in the forum are so lucid and eloquent and knowledgable.
  19. jeffathome New Member

Power mall uses an affiliate system to bring in revenue with a mlm comp plan. I think that's the best way to describe it.
  20. ouzo12 New Member

Just registered today in your site and I am really gratefull for all the valuable information ... it will definately help me business.

I will join also your conversations ... i need just time to analyse all the great ideas I see in the forum! [IMG]