Get Rich Quick or Work Hard Slow?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by wahl2008, Feb 21, 2009.

1. wahl2008

wahl2008 New Member

Hello Everyone!

My question to you is not whether you'd like to get rich quick or work hard long-term and make an honest, modest living. I think that it's human nature to want to take the easy route and make quick and easy money!

My question to you is what kind of online work at home or home business opportunities attract you? Do you see most opportunities for what they really are, or do you see them for what you wish that they would be?

So, when you visit a site boasting work at home opportunity, do you just love the ones that have a "get rich quick" method where you make $1,000s weekly or even daily just for sitting back and watching?

Or, do you look for the sites that say, "Hey, you will have to work hard and you won't get rich, but you can make money and an honest living."?

Do you prefer to walk on the clouds or on the ground?

Let us know what you think!

Cheers!

2. mavericksaroza

mavericksaroza New Member

I never attract to get-rich-quick scheme..thats totally scam!

However working from home looks impressive. Im really attract to affiliate marketing...No need to think about product , just think about promotion but...working effortless never give you a guarantee to make a good living.

What important is mindset especially at the beginning of internet marketing step. My opinion is work hard at starting point then gradually effortless.

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I prefer to walk on the ground, and I have noticed that if the path is straight and the sky is clear, it appears to eventually lead to the clouds...[​IMG]

4. Sonni

Sonni New Member

Nobody wants to work hard and have money come slow, but that's the way life is. You gotta do what you gotta do.
    Sonni

5. wahl2008

wahl2008 New Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I started this topic because I wanted to try and figure out if I'd made a mistake offering legitimate work, rather than $300 in 24 hours [​IMG]

Perhaps some of us try the "get rich quick" way first, and then buckle down, put our shoulders into it, and work for a living.

Cheers!

6. seeyalater72

seeyalater72 New Member

The only people who get rich quick are lottery winners. For the rest of us success only comes with commitment and patience. Any program boasting outrageous income in a few days, weeks, or even months is promoting fantasy.

7. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Philip,

One of the biggest turn-offs is when a site offers something to the effect of "Effortlessly make a gazillion in 7 hours or less".

That'll make me hit the back button on my browser quicker than anything else. Seeing a big house and fancy car in the header have the same affect.

Check out this parody site to see what I mean:

http://www.mystupidebook.com/

Be careful not to mouse over the top of the browser or you'll get a "check out the real deal" box that you'll have to close off to see the parody site.

~Newbie Shield~

8. wahl2008

wahl2008 New Member

NS,

That site is hilarious! They really nailed it! That is my point exactly. If it seems too good to be true then it probably is, no matter how you spin it.

Cheers!

9. unselfishbuddy

unselfishbuddy New Member

Honestly, I was attracted to the get-rich-quick schemes in the past. Years and thousands of dollars lost later, I have come to realize that there is really no shortcut to success. We need to work really hard at first to achieve success and later on we can work smart.

10. TshirtFrank

TshirtFrank New Member

That Parody site is freaking hilarious.

"I been makin' millions ever since I found this stupid eBook on the Google and downloadified it from the Internets."

Got to love it!

11. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

unselfishbuddy: Honestly, I was attracted to the get-rich-quick schemes in the past. Years and thousands of dollars lost later, I have come to realize that there is really no shortcut to success. We need to work really hard at first to achieve success and later on we can work smart.
    Me too.
    I have spent so much money for those program who promised to get rich quick. But when i realized that there is no shortcut in earning money online, i have already wasted my money and time.

One have to work smart to get success.

12. michesco89

michesco89 New Member

Hello. In answer to the original question: Why not have a middle ground? I agree that it's ridiculous to expect to make a ton of money fast. When I was searching for a way to pay off my bills, I would constantly want to click on those ads that said make $500/hr now! But that's not the way life works, sadly, just like everyone has been saying. But I also think that you don't need to work your butt off all the time to receive nothing. Yes it's honest, but it is not satisfying. To me, it would seem that the best course is to find something that will bring in more money than an average job, but isn't some get rich quick scheme. Yes, you will make money, and if you're smart, you'll make more than you could have at a 9-5 job, but you will also be investing some of your time, and have to do at least a little work. And to me, that's satisfying.

13. gillette

gillette New Member

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and to AM. It took me long while before I became successfull in Investment Banking, I'm still employed but for how long who knows, this credit crunch is getting everybody ! I'm happy and healthy and while I've still got all my faculties, time for a challenging change Anyway I googled work at home and came by Affliate Marketing, suits me perfectly, nothing that comes easily will be worth it , looking forward to making money In a different way, doing lots of research for now though [​IMG].

14. WealthyWAHM

WealthyWAHM Member

My experience has been one of evolution... I will admit as a newbie I was attracted to either high commission opportunities or easy money that required next to no work and would hop from one thing to the next to follow trends.

Over my almost 8 years of marketing however, I have transitioned to looking for money making options that I could keep my focus on and would provide me a steady income for the long-term. Pretty much having been a work at home mom my entire adult life, I don't have a retirement plan offered by my employer that is steadily building for me so I have to remain aware of what the future might hold.

As they say, slow and steady win the race! [​IMG]

15. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

wahl2008: So, when you visit a site boasting work at home opportunity, do you just love the ones that have a "get rich quick" method where you make $1,000s weekly or even daily just for sitting back and watching?

Or, do you look for the sites that say, "Hey, you will have to work hard and you won't get rich, but you can make money and an honest living."?
    Websites that promise fantastic earnings in an unbelievably short time always set off my "suspicious" alarm, especially those that boldly announce some extraordinary claim in a large colorful font, below a masthead emblazoned with the stock images of wealth - the mansion, the convertible, luxury vacations, smiling faces and loads of cash.

Somehow they remind me of rhinestones that shimmer and sparkle in the light, but are in fact only artificial stones designed to simulate diamonds. And then this thought comes to mind: "All that glitters is not gold."

Most of us probably wouldn't recognize gold-bearing ore in its original state if we were walking all over it. We know that the process to yield one ounce of gold is laborious and requires several tons of ore. But, the polished brilliance, beauty and value of the finished product justifies the effort.

I'll take the gold-bearing ore over the rhinestones every time. [​IMG]

Hermas

16. PavelBecker

PavelBecker New Member

Excellent!

All the responses here show exactly how we've been conditioned to think and assess situation based on the scarcity mentality that is like a virus sits inside of us and prevents us from achieving any success in life.

First of all, obviously, I agree, that on the Internet right now a lot of promises of impressive amounts of money in impressively short amounts of time are rather questionable.

The problem is that we tend to simplify everything by just slapping this "It's a get rich quick scheme" label on any new opportunity that promises more than what we are earning right now.

It just shows that we've been conditioned to believe that becoming wealthy has to be hard, that normal situation is that you have to spend about 40 hours per week working in order to barely break even, barely make enough money to cover all your expenses. We define ourselves by what line of work we are in, because by default we think that we have to work full time. Not enjoy what ever we like doing, not traveling, not helping somebody, not spending time with friends or family, but work. What we like we can do in our "spare time", time that we have left after spending the entire day working!

It just indicates that we willingly reduced our productivity to the level where our full time work generates only barely enough money for us to get by, we would actually feel weird if the amount of money that is required to cover our monthly expenses could be achieved within just a few ours each month. We wouldn't know what to do with all this "free" time, we would feel like we are doing something wrong and "wasting" time instead of dedicating it to hard work.
    What does it actually mean, "Get rich quick"? What is the dollar value of this "rich"-thing and how quick is this "quick"-thing in order for us to be suspicious?
    For somebody who is making $12,000.00 per year anything above $12,000.00 in less than 12 month will, probably, fall into the "get rich quick" category. It will be completely different for somebody who is making $12,000.00 per month.
    I spent a few years "flipping" houses and the fastest and easiest "flip" took me about a month and generated about $20,000.00. If I approached anybody from the same street before I purchased the house and told them that I can show them how to make easy $20,000.00 within a couple of month, how many of them would want to deal with me? Or, how many of them would tell me that it's a "get rich quick" scheme? Would "all of them" be the correct answer?
    How many of you, guys, would qualify $20,000.00 in a month as a "get rich quick?"

There is nothing wrong with increasing ones earnings and efficiency! That should be the goal, actually. That's why we left in the past individual self-sufficiency and attempted to become professionals in particular fields.

Again, I do not deny the existence of the "get rich quick scheme", but we should, probably, employ more sophisticated tools to evaluate new business opportunities than just a worn out slap-on label.

Another one of my favorites - "too good to be true."

We stopped questioning long time ago that our lives have to be hard, skies - cloudy, opportunities - unattractive, beautiful women - they will never be attracted to us, expensive cars - I will never be able to afford one, house on the beach - it's probably too hot there either way, donating a million dollars to a charity - what am I, a Rockefeller?

We actually think that the phrase "too good to be true" justifies not pursuing something that we want! Isn't it disgusting?!

Don't you think somebody has to break the cycle and change the situation? Otherwise our kids will grow with the same mentality and the same will happen with our grand-kids!

I'm from a little town in Siberia originally, but now live in California, run three businesses and am married to a hot Latin woman. All of these things fall under "too good to be true" category and I could've easily use this phrase to justify not achieving any of them, but, where would I have been by now? That's right, in Siberia, pushing snow!

The last thing - "honest, modest living" as opposed to being wealthy.
    I thought it was our Russian thing implanted by communists, that wealth is some how associated with dishonesty, but apparently it's a world-wide disease.
    There is nothing wrong, or dishonest, or bad, or somehow negative with being wealthy! It's just another excuse we have in our arsenal to justify failure! "I'm not rich, but at list nobody can say that I'm not an honest man!" What a load of crap! We spent decades back home being poor and justifying it by being honest, before Gorbochev said "Go ahead, make money, start your own businesses and achieve your financial dreams" and everybody woke up and realized that one can be at the same time wealthy and still be an honest person! That those two things aren't even related anyhow!
    How about this: in Africa hundreds and thousands of people die every year because of the malaria. One mosquito net could be purchased for less then $10 and it will save at list one person from literally dieing! If one has an opportunity to earn extra $100,000.00 and purchase 10,000 mosquito nets and therefore to prevent 10,000 people from dieing, but instead he or she is too busy trying to justify not doing anything about it, too busy being scared to invest in the wrong company or opportunity, while knowing well that somebody is dieing right now and could be saved but not going to be, isn't this actually dishonest? Pretending that Africa is just a made-up country from a children's book - is this honest? It's just one of the problems in the world that could be cured with money.

It's, probably, already exceeding allowed amount of words per post.

Thanks

17. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

PavelBecker: The problem is that we tend to simplify everything by just slapping this "It's a get rich quick scheme" label on any new opportunity that promises more than what we are earning right now.
    Pavel,

You make an excellent observation, and communicate it with your usual impassioned fervor.

We've been programmed to respond with a knee-jerk reaction to promises we so desperately want to believe are true. But because we often fear being scammed and embarassed we find it easier to cast suspicion instead.

Perhaps we've been burned before and so we take santuary in the idiom: "Once bitten, twice shy." Consequently we tend to dismiss anything that seems "to good to be true" and we justify our decision as being prudent.

Maybe if we would take a closer, careful look of the facts, throw out any preconceived beliefs and keep our objectivity, we might indeed recognize diamonds in the rough more often.

Great post!

Hermas

18. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Well, its hard to say exactly what kinds of opportunities attract me as I've been a member of a specific internet marketing community for a long time, but I tend to stay away from anything that advertises "quick and easy", because that is usually a red flag that someone is going to steal your money "quick and easy".

Now, that doesn't mean that something can't be easy AND involve hard work, but the moral is that if someone tries to sell you something and doesn't show you that some kind of effort will be involved, then there is a fairly good chance that they are trying to rip you off.

19. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Pavel,

I've really enjoyed reading the posts you've made in the forum thus far. You bring an interesting perspective to the table.

I understand the points you are trying to make and can agree with most of what you've said.

I think the problem, though, isn't usually that people are unwilling to try all of these "make money fast" programs because they are "too good to be true," but the opposite. Too many people do believe they will get rich quick based on an overwhelming abundance of false claims made by people trying to fleece others.

Yes, "rich" and "quick" are relative terms, so what 'rich' means to me will be different than 'rich' to someone else. Same with the idea of 'quick' income. In spite of that, I still believe there are some generalities that can be made.

You gave this example...

PavelBecker: I spent a few years "flipping" houses and the fastest and easiest "flip" took me about a month and generated about $20,000.00. If I approached anybody from the same street before I purchased the house and told them that I can show them how to make easy $20,000.00 within a couple of month, how many of them would want to deal with me? Or, how many of them would tell me that it's a "get rich quick" scheme? Would "all of them" be the correct answer? How many of you, guys, would qualify $20,000.00 in a month as a "get rich quick?"
    In such a case, how long did it take you to learn HOW to flip houses, how to find a good house that is priced low enough to make a decent profit, to study the market and know what the supply and demand in an area would be, how to deal with the banks, etc?

Sure, you may be able to flip a house and earn 20 grand in a month. How many people, though, can actually do that with ZERO previous knowledge or experience in real estate, no capital to invest, and no time invested in learning the ropes? I suspect very few!

It takes TIME to learn a skill, whether it is flipping houses, or building an online business. It also takes EFFORT. Houses to be flipped at great profit don't fall at your feet. You've got to do the footwork first.

People need to be willing to put in that time and effort before they can expect to reap the benefits. I'm sure that the reason you aren't in Siberia pushing snow is because you HAVE put in the time and effort.

You didn't get your version of riches overnight or in a matter of a few short weeks or months did you?

Of course nothing is wrong with having monetary wealth. But it is an illusion to believe that you can achieve it honestly with little or no effort in the beginning.

It may come easier and easier as your foundation has been laid and then built upon, but if it is not gained that way, I believe it will only be a flash in the pan, if generated at all.

"Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase." ~ Proverbs 13:11

Thanks for the thought provoking post this morning. [​IMG]
    Blessings,
    Angie

20. ponnyfiggs

ponnyfiggs New Member

A lot of internet marketing options are available. But the important factor is to choose the right program for you . It is true that a lot of money can be earned sitting at the comforts of your house. Internet marketing has a lot of various sectors operating under it. Affiliate marketing is one of them . But if you really research on internet marketing , you will definitely get many options suiting your needs and what kind of work you would be comfortable with.

[Link removed - Admin]