Getting a Federal and State tax ID number

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal Advice' started by RedRobin, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. RedRobin

    RedRobin New Member

    Hi All,
    Do you have your tax information in place for your work-at-home business? Getting a Federal and State tax ID number is a piece of
    For your Federal ID number, please visit the site This web site has lots of great tax information. You can also apply for your Federal Tax Id at this site. Tons of information is on this site if you have other tax questions. You'll have your Federal Tax ID number in no time.
    I also noticed some enterprising folks out there trying to sell people the information for getting tax id's. BEWARE. This is definitely a rip off! Go right to the IRS, and you can get your tax ID for free.

    For your state tax ID, start with your state's web site. I had no trouble finding the place on the Wyoming state web site that has the application for your state tax ID. Wyoming also contacts me periodically, so I can keep my state taxes paid.

    The tax forms for both of these sites are fairly easy to fill out. So get on line, and get that tax ID. You can save yourself some legal trouble and sleepless nights if you get your taxes handled right away.
  2. nk430

    nk430 New Member

  3. RedRobin

    RedRobin New Member

    Thanks for the information. I have found my state tax people extremely helpful, my being new at having an at home business and all. I am good at making money, good at spending money, but not always that great at keeping track of money and taxes, so it helps to have a friendly tax staff at the state level to help you out. I hope you're as lucky at your state.
  4. WhitePhoenix

    WhitePhoenix New Member

    Do you have to make (through sales) a certain amount of money before you need to apply for a Federal and State tax ID number?
  5. akemonsr

    akemonsr New Member

    No, you can apply immediately. It's really a good idea to do this so you can start building a business credit report. This is separate from your personal credit report if you have a Tax ID number. I run two businesses from home and this has been helpful. Email me with any questions regarding starting your own business at

    ZOIEBABEE New Member

  7. A8ch

    A8ch Gold Member

    A Federal Tax Identification Number and an Employer Identification Number are the same thing. It is a nine-digit number (e.g 12-9384765) generally assigned to businesses in the US for tax filing and reporting purposes.

  8. atlineh

    atlineh New Member

    Does anyone know how to build a strong and positive business credit report with your tax ID number. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.
  9. Newbie Shield

    Newbie Shield Gold Member

    Hi atlineh,

    Create a multiple-member managed LLC.

    Be sure to set it up correctly as you would with a corporations articles (legal documents).

    If you do it correctly, you will be able to establish a separate credit file.

    You can do the same with a C corporation - with multiple members as well.

    ~Newbie Shield~
  10. Dpaxton

    Dpaxton New Member

    Ugh I dont know where to start! getting frustrated here I cant find any information on what licenses I need to be legal per sey. I called county I dont need a business license, but I will be finding "Notes" for others to buy so do I need an LLC and tax Id number? If so how do I go about this? Do I need a special securities license? help! =)
  11. webpayday

    webpayday New Member

    Do you need a Tax ID to file for Tax Right Offs at the end of the year? Or is a SS# Sufficiant?
  12. Tokaly

    Tokaly New Member

    Hi everybody,

    For starting with a Drop-ship program , they ask me a Federal Tax ID and scan of certificate. They said the EIN must be 11-digit number.

    Last year, i obtained a Sale Tax ID in my state, it is only 7-digit number. When i read this topic, specially notice of Redrobin, i wonder about the scam or fake Sale Tax ID i've registered. Because i obtain the Sale Tax id via website:, this website charged me $100 and then they sent me an email to give me the Sale Tax ID number, not any thing else such as reseller/ resale certificate.

    Anyone can help me to those question:

    1) what is difference between Sale Tax ID and EIN (Federal Tax ID) ?
    2) Did I get wrong to obtain to above website, is it a scam website ? How can I check to know the Sale Tax ID i've got is legal ?

    Thanks for any helps!
  13. Khoa Nuyen

    Khoa Nuyen New Member

    This is a great thread. Lots of valuable information about EIN, which I have found from past experience to be true.
  14. sarahlovesfam

    sarahlovesfam New Member

    No you do not have to have a certain amount of money for a Federal tax ID number a have a few. However, I can not speak certain for each state.

Share This Page