Google Instant: SEO and PPC Concerns

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by yahia, Sep 10, 2010.

1. yahia Member

Hello everyone,
    Last Tuseday I received the news about the new version of big G: Google instant. What I understood is that when you type in the search box you start seeing results before you finish typing. According to Google, you might see on average 20 different search results before you finish typing your query.

This change from Google's side requires a huge investment as they are looking at 20 times more search queries to serve every day (that's 20 Billion search queries) in the form of servers and related expenses. On the users side, if you have a limited bandwidth you are looking at eating it up 20 times faster while you search.

But this is Google's and its users' problem. Here is what concerns me:

Some marketers rely completely on organic search results as their source of traffic. Thankfully I am not one of those, but I am enjoying having some of my income powered by those free visitors.

If the affiliate site is optimized for a long tail keyword, it might not show up in the search results until the users finish typing their queries. Again according to Google the users don't always finish typing and just pick from the results that show on Google instant.

This means significantly less traffic from organic search results unless you start optimizing your sites for the shorter, broader, hard to optimize for keywords.

For Adwords users it's not clear how this will affect the quality score, as the impressions might significantly increase (20 times) before they are noticed by the users, which will certainly affect the click through rate and consequently the quality score.

Any suggestions or ideas?
  2. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Concerns but no suggestions.[IMG]
  3. talfighel Silver Member

yahia: Some marketers rely completely on organic search results as their source of traffic. Thankfully I am not one of those,
    Thank god I am not one of those people too that rely on the organic search engines to bring me what I have now daily in terms of traffic. If it would, I would be in trouble.

Tal
  4. yahia Member

We are still in trouble Tal. If Google will consider all of those millisecond impressions our quality scores will drop significantly and we'll be charged multiples. A QS drop with just one from 9 to 10 means the difference between paying 8 cents per click and paying 25 cents for the same click.
  5. yahia Member

Come on guys and girls, this is a really serious situation. Google instant will be implemented next month, we don't have a lot of time here.

Has anyone heard or received any thing from Google about the quality score and those millisecond impressions?
  6. yahia Member

Here is something I've noticed, the faster you type the less search queries will show. Actually it stops showing any until you finish and hit submit.

Optimizing for letters and meaningless word combinations could be good for general audience offers. It's actually a good idea for a new project (garsh I need to hire badly [IMG]).

If I were the user I wouldn't care much for the word parts search results and would start showing interest in results after I finish typing the first word.

So my main concern is having to optimize for single words and shorter phrases, which means trying to beat the clouds in a raining contest!
  7. advertise New Member

talfighel: Thank god I am not one of those people too that rely on the organic search engines to bring me what I have now daily in terms of traffic. If it would, I would be in trouble.
    LOL... Tal, i totally agree with you. Those who rely entirely on organic search results are bound to fail at some point. It is important NOT to rely entirely on one method of promotion or advertising. It is true what they say, "dont put all your eggs on one basket".

But going back to the Google thing, this change that Google implemented is actually going to take your site activity into consideration. AT least that was the information I came across.
  8. yahia Member

advertise: But going back to the Google thing, this change that Google implemented is actually going to take your site activity into consideration. AT least that was the information I came across.
    Yea that was right two months ago. Think about when a user types "a", and sees results for that character before he/she finish the search term. Try it, you'll see Amazon and brand names, not your blog. By the time they finish typing they would have seen on average 20 different searches with results returning for the shortest terms possible. According to Google users pick from the searches that return while typing their keywords. When will your blog that's optimized for a long tail keyword show up?