Greedy Online Merchants getting into your credit card accounts...

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by DanoPano, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DanoPano

DanoPano New Member

Has anyone recently encountered the following situation:
    You accept a seemingly one-time purchase of a service, product or system...and then you are shocked to find that your bank account (or credit card) has been charged multiple times for what you were sure was just a one-time payment.?![​IMG]

How do you short of having to read all of the fine print on their terms and conditions (usually voluminous in nature making for laborious reading, most likely designed as such to open you up for additional charges) pages, avoid or recognize this practice before deciding to purchase?

Some products and services offered on the net I would like to purchase but with this prevalent practice I have turned skeptical and cynical on 99% of all online offers.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyone with any remarks or stories to share without the mention of any merchant names?

Thx,
    -DanoPano aka Pilgrim [​IMG]

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Sounds like the Acai scam for one...I don't have credit cards anymore (I DID get sucked into a few of those things in my internet life-story, though)...but my friend got *took* by the Acai one a few weeks ago and what was a seemingly free product with only $3.95 shipping and handling ended up sucking almost $400 from her bank account...

If it sounds too good to be true then it very likely is... If we would stop to think and not be such gullible Americans we would KNOW that it is highly unlikely that we will lose 10 pounds in 3 days or whatever the boast was...or make a thousand dollars a day in the next 30 days..... etc,etc,..... [​IMG]

One great thing about paying with a credit card, though is that you can dispute the charges... I just use Paypal for the most part when I make online purchases - oh and I try to read ALL the small print

3. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

Before you buy anything online that seems "fishy", I'd suggest checking the company out ahead of time at the ripoffreport.com

4. dula14

dula14 New Member

I recently made what I thought to be a one time purchase online only to have my credit card billed again a month later. I informed the company that nowhere on their website did it mention the service was on a monthly basis. Fortunately, they were very cooperative and refunded the second charge but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth when people aren't upfront with whatever it is their selling.

5. kyrash

kyrash New Member

I will suggest you simplt get one of those rechargeable visa cards like 3vcash (find the one that works in your country and can be topped up in the shops) thats what i use and they can try all they want to rebill [​IMG]