Help needed on affiliate links.

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by seg7575, Jan 18, 2009.

1. seg7575

seg7575 New Member

I am totally new to affiliate work.I need your help on how i can use text link on my site instead of the long affiliate link i was given.I will definately apprecite your concern to help me.

2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Do you know how to use html? Here is what you use to make text clickable and to hide your link

Place text here

Good luck![​IMG]

3. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Viola, I think he meant cloaking affiliate link.

Here's a simple technique:

Create a page called product.html and insert the following code:

Redirecting...

...and upload it to your website.

Where http://www.youraffiliatelink.com is your affiliate link. To send someone to your affiliate page, simply direct them to the exact url of where product.html is uploaded on your site.

Example: http://www.yourdomain.com/product.html

If product.html is uploaded to the root directory.

4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Thanks Vishal!

5. Matt Zenittini

Matt Zenittini Silver Member

My favorite way to cloak affiliate links is simply by purchasing a domain name =].

I use godaddy. All you need to do is buy a domain name and forward it to your affiliate link and enable masking. That way if you are promoting say a website that sells candy, you can create your own link like www.myspecialcandy.com or something. when you are really promoting candy.com/affiliatelink. The whole time they are on the website they will see myspecialcandy.com. until they click a link anyway =].

This is a good way to prevent affiliate theft too =].

Good luck!

6. seg7575

seg7575 New Member

Thanks so much for your prompt response.I will definately give it a try.

7. Homeboy

Homeboy New Member

Another tool you can use is http://www.tinyurl.com

Just put your long affiliate link into the textbox and they'll give you a short one you can use instead.

8. seg7575

seg7575 New Member

I really appreciate your concern.I have tried it,and i could see that it is far better than the 45 characters contained in my affiliate link.I also want to know if i can place it on my page?

9. Michael Merry

Michael Merry New Member

seg7575: re; How to create text links?

I certainly agree that hoplinks are grotesque looking. I was asking your question just a week ago: then I stumbled onto a marvelous resource. I'm a new guy, so I defer to prudence by not attempting to use a text link here.
    You can check it out at.. "myspacegens.com".
    I'm betting you'll like it

Regards,
    MM

10. newpage

newpage New Member

Use a php based link cloaker that also protects your links and won't get overwritten. That will also allow you to create shorter links using the right anchor text.

Don't use a domain to try and hide them and definitely don't use a url shortener. You're wasting your time and losing out on link juice with a shortener. Each link you create is worth money, so create them wisely and they will be worth money.

The url redirect code that Vishal shared above is also not what you want to do either. With all do respect that is easy to overwrite by scripts that do cookie stuffing. PM me and I'll show you a couple things you can check out for yourself.

Always protect your affiliate links.