HELP!: Planning to work at home

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by ankhaeru, Jul 24, 2016.

1. ankhaeru

ankhaeru New Member

Hi Guys!

I am new to this forum.

Actually I want to seek advice for working at home and this thread is going to be very, very long. I got several reasons why I want to work at home. First is I hate commuting in our country. A nearby district that use to be 30 minutes travel has turned into 1 and a half hour drive. Second, because of the first one, I am extremely fatigued and stressed as a result. Sleeping five hours a day is already a luxury for I travel more than four hours a day to get to my destination. Third, I am extremely introverted. I do not like dealing with so many people on a daily basis. I just want to work --- that's it! And lastly, as an artist I do want to spend more time on doing personal projects. I do not plan on making it my bread and butter but working in a brick and mortar office takes away all the fun in designing, so I wanted to just work for money, and then work on my personal projects unhampered by schedules and commuting time.

It is really difficult for a creative to work. In a physical office, you have to spend extended hours to finish a single design and then spend on necessities outside of your home just to keep you satiated throughout the day and I think that's counter intuitive: you work for money, to work for money. So, I've thought of planning to work in the comforts of my home. My internet is stable, and my PC is just alright.

I've tried to find work online but discovered that either the pay is too low --- even for third world standards, clients are too demanding for designers, and some recruitment websites are not allowed to show your identity and your client's. Which is a big disadvantage for me because I've been used to showcasing my portfolio which is usually under my name.

Now, I have two good years before my contract with my current employer ends. I want to try this again and this time, I want to make it right.

Finally! I would like to ask about these:

1. What preparations do I need to do before delving into working at home again?
    2. Is there such a thing as a stable online job --- because I cannot afford not to have some income gap.
    3. Why do recruitment sites do not reveal each other's identity? And if I plan to apply in one again, how do I go about in the interview?
    4. Do I really need to study SEO?
    5. If I do not plan to be a designer anymore and opt for being a virtual assistant instead, what do I need to know and learn?

2. sansastark

sansastark New Member

I think that work at home can't generate income immediately , you need prepare a time before deciding to quit your job. Now almost all of online job that you can do at home require some special skills that you need to practice a lot before
  3. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

There are legitimate work at home jobs out there and many of them are customer service related. For example, Aloricia hires work at home agents. Before quitting any job, I'd recommend having another job or income source set up and waiting for you.

Good luck. :)
  4. RDWM

RDWM New Member

freelancing is tough, and you might not like hearing this, but old fashioned sales makes money. I got my first few customers with cold calling and then used the profits on internet marketing.
    payment proof likes this.
  5. crisstar

crisstar Member

A job is not stable because you can be fired or let go at anytime - even without advance notice. What you want to do is create multiple income streams no matter what you do - freelance, home business or home job. Don't solely rely on one income.

As far as your other questions, you'll have to a little bit of research.

I suggest you start in one are and branch out from there.
  6. payment proof

payment proof Well-Known Member

So true. In prior generations, there was more job security, but unfortunately there is very little today. Having multiple streams of income is always a good idea.
  7. Richard Hale

Richard Hale New Member

Multiple income streams is where you want to get. When I first started out years ago, I worked 3 jobs. I worked online in my spare time. Know this, you need some type of skill you can focus on. It's ok to use different skills, but you want to become an expert in at least one to start.

There's a lot of ways to make money from home. There's a lot of money in freelancing and those platforms can help you find clients while you build your own website, credentials and skills.

I think of social media marketing first just because nearly everyone uses them. Companies will pay for social media marketing. Think about what you do best, what you'd like to do and see if it has market potential.

The key is "knowledge." The more you learn, the more you earn. Always be a student and learn. Invest in courses, invest in yourself and brand yourself.
  8. Muzzamil

Muzzamil Member

You might want to work on a freelancing website such as,, or On these sites, you can sign up for free and start working as soon someone gives you an order. On, I know a for a fact that you can show your portfolio and your identity. Also you can do whatever it is that you like to do as an artist on because there are many people on freelancing websites that design logos, cards, apps, and wallpaper. Some of the people have so successful that they have quit their jobs and work from home full-time. But keep in mind that, it will take time and hard work to get to the point where you can fully quit your daily job. There are many ways you can earn money online such as affiliate/internet marketing where you can sell other people's products but again it will take time too because to master anything, there is always a learning curve. As an artist you would know that it takes a lot of time and hard work to mater a craft and it is the same thing with learning how to make money online but once you get the hang of it, you will get the freedom to be able to work from home. And I am saying this by experience because there was a time when I thought it was impossible to work from home and make money online but I just kept going and learning and after awhile, I learned the skills to be able to work from home. So keep working and learning so you will figure it out too. Sorry for long and boring response. Good Luck!
  9. Malluni

Malluni New Member

Hello everyone! I agree with others that it is necessary to prepare for work at home before quitting the main job. I know it's not easy, but it will be easier to start more effiecient. There are many ways to start working in parallel with your main job. I recommend to register on services as, and, etc. Also, you can create your own landing page using the free website builder - This advice will help you quickly start working at home. Good luck!