Help with text file of leads

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by judyp, Aug 24, 2008.

1. judyp

judyp New Member

Can somebody tell me what to do with a text file of leads that is formatted like this:

"Susan","Somebody","xxx@xxx.com","136 Maple St","Anytown","US","00000","","7/26/2008 8:37","","","","","157.42.667","","","","","","","","",

What do I need to get the email addresses out of the text file and into my email list?

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

You can easily import the data into a spreadsheet application like MS Excel.

Data > Import External Data > Import Data

I'm not sure but you might be able to do it using Open Office too (free).

3. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Judy,

It looks like one of two things to me:

1. A generic sample rather than information about an individual.

2. An encrypted file.

If it is a generic sample file, it's worthless.

If it is an encrypted file, you may have to port to a program that can read and translate encrypted information. You'll have to do a Google search to see what serves your budget and technical expertise.

Sounds to me like something no one should be messing with. I recommend against tampering.

Careful what you crack (media thinks it's "hack") as there may be legal consequences.

~Newbie Shield~

4. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Contact the company providing the leads, they should be able to help

5. judyp

judyp New Member

I don't have a spreadsheet but I found out somewhat by accident that I can import the file into Outlook Express. Thanks for all the responses!

6. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Judy,

You can download Open Office for free and use their spreadsheet program. It's similar to MS Excel. Your file could very well be a CSV file. In that case, it will open in a spreadsheet program.

It would be more useful in a spreadsheet program than in MS Outlook Express. You can play around with it quite a bit in the spreadsheet program.

Let us know if it works and good luck,

~Newbie Shield~