Home School Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by VictoriaNTC, Mar 20, 2009.

1. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone home school their children?
    I am very seriously considering finishing this year and the following years at home, due to public school issues here.
    I have 2 boys, 2nd and 3rd grade.

What would be the best way to get started?

Thank you so much,
    Victoria

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Victoria,

Definitely get your kids out of "the institution" in every possible way - especially school. That's shear poison and no one should ever go through any of it for any reason. Nothing ruins creativity and individuality quicker and more effectively than the institution.

Just Google it and you'll know what to do. It'll take some research time but it's well worth it. College is interesting but K-12 is pure evil.

~Newbie Shield~

3. gridellas

gridellas New Member

I know many parents that are home schooling their children. I don't know what programs they are using but the children are doing well with it. So it is possible and it does work. If anything you are saving your children from being corrupted.

4. VictoriaNTC

Thank you my friends.

It is absolutely sick what my son is going through there..
    So, we will work together at home!

I actually had to retain an attorney for a 9 year old!

There is so much info to sift through online, like the work at home thing...[​IMG]

I am so happy to be a part of this community.

Victoria

5. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I have homeschooled for a number of years and so far so good. [​IMG]

Our two oldest took one year of high school and that was all they wanted..... They both got jobs, oldest got his GED and is into his second year of ministry school at 19.

I like the Abeka curriculum for math and then I use a variety of things for other subjects. We are actually on a family vacation right now so am not on here very much but when I get back I'll try to get you more information... in the meantime, YES you can absolutely homeschool your children, SUCCESSFULLY![​IMG]

6. VictoriaNTC

Thank you Mountain Mom.

I appreciate your advice so much.
    I am becoming very excited about this. This is the best decision I have made in a long time!

Newbie Shield is so right about public school.

Victoria

7. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Hi Victoria!

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool!
    My mother started homeschooling my brother because of his mild learning disability in 3rd grade. His self-esteem thrived during his homeschool years and he ended up prefering it over "regular" school.
    Here in MD, we have 2 homeschool schools..I know that sounds funny. But the kids go 2 days a week and are at home with work the other 3. The homeschool community decided to get together with their common ideas on schooling and values to create such a "school". On Friday afternoons, the kids get together for a specials day where they participate in sports, music, and/or art programs. Lots of fun!

Subsequently, my mom pulled out my sister from regular school and sent her there as well. They absolutely loved it!

I also assisted from time to time in their studies and I really took to Shirley Grammar curriculum mixed with IEW for creative writing.

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

8. VictoriaNTC

Thank you Rosie!
    I am grateful for the help!

I want so badly to write ..somewhere what this school is doing to my child. Just to let it out.

However, I should not yet because I believe I get what I think about...whether wanted or not..so I am really trying to just focus on this new beginning, for now.

My aunt taught her 5 children at home, and they graduated early, went on to tech school and have bright futures.

I went to school with my son several times, it was an uncomfortable place. It felt like military school.

Jack is nearly 10, so maybe he can take the Thirty Day Challenge with me next summer. Watch him make more money than Mom does![​IMG]

I appreciate everyone's help!
    Victoria

9. Newbie Shield

It's very difficult to strike a balance between pure or healthy thoughts and dealing with reality in a practical manner.

A mean between two extremes is best. Either dwelling heavily on something or trying to make it go away via conscious denial usually fail to produce positive results. Extremes are trouble makers.

It's usually wise to deal with these things in an unattached manner - just long enough for proper resolution. That's not the same as inviting negativity or destructiveness into your life.

Try as you might, you'll find that it's rather difficult to suppress anything that needs to be dealt with.

Sometimes it is wise to awaken - at least for a time - the vibrations of things we'd rather lay to rest. That's not to say that "now" is the time. That's your call ;)

~Newbie Shield~

10. VictoriaNTC

I know what you mean Newbie Shield.
    I really do.

We are officially a home school as of today! Yipee!

And, my son has representation now, so his attorney can focus on the "stuff" and we can hopefully focus on a new beginning.

So, we work together.
    Thank you for your help and have a fun day!

Victoria

11. Newbie Shield

VictoriaNTC: We are officially a home school as of today! Yipee!
    Hey, that's great news!

Good luck with the attorney issue.

It'll be nice to protect and to be with your son, have fun :)

~Newbie Shield~

12. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

Victoria,

I wish you and your family all the luck! See if there is any homeschool families in your area too. The families in my area are just awesome with support and helping out new familes. They may even have materials left over that you can use for your son's homeschooling!

Take care and let us know how it all goes! My son is 3 and I am very seriously considering the option when the time comes as well[​IMG]

13. VictoriaNTC

Thank you Rosie!

I am researching options. There are so many ways to go here.

I appreciate everyone's support and ideas!
    Victoria

14. VictoriaNTC

I owe everyone above a follow up.[​IMG]

We are in the first week of home school after two weeks of daunting research. I was able to sift through the data online and have put together great curriculum for my son.

I have wanted to home school for a very long time, but was concerned about being a single mother of two young boys, running (phasing out my eBay stores) and continuing my Internet Marketing Career. I also help many beginners over at WA.
    Additionally, I am planning to earn my PhD. in Metaphysical Sciences.

This is all working out just fine!

My Jack (3rd grade) is really in control here..doing his lessons on his computer while I work at mine.
    Of course, I review with him, help with questions, and will help with science projects and so on.

So, if you are considering home school, it really is not difficult.
    My son looks like the weight of the world has been lifted off his small shoulders. I have never seen him this free and happy.

It is worth the time and effort!

Victoria

15. VictoriaNTC

Newbie Shield: Hi Victoria,

Definitely get your kids out of "the institution" in every possible way - especially school. That's shear poison and no one should ever go through any of it for any reason. Nothing ruins creativity and individuality quicker and more effectively than the institution.

Just Google it and you'll know what to do. It'll take some research time but it's well worth it. College is interesting but K-12 is pure evil.

~Newbie Shield~

This is a follow-up thank you for Newbie Shield, and everyone else who helped..
    My cousins have been home schooled, all of them, nieces and nephews too..
    I considered this, but wanted the boys to have a social life.

8 weeks before summer vacation, I pulled Jack out of 3rd grade, and will teach both Jack and Forest at home from now on.

Maybe some day I can get them tothe Sudbury Valley School "Free At Last".

After seeing the words poison and evil above, that was enough to gently nudge me over the edge.
    My son looks like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders.

I miss IM full time, as we are still working on getting Jack caught up.

If you can pull off teaching your kid(s) at home, the effort is well worth it.
    Most graduate 4-5 years early.

I mean my kids know more about 911 than I do! And Jack is behind in reading and writing! Buy hey, he knows the violent history...by heart!

Cheers to freedom!
    Victoria

16. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

VictoriaNTC: If you can pull off teaching your kid(s) at home, the effort is well worth it.
    Most graduate 4-5 years early.
    lol - yes, my daughter has been ready to take her GED for a whole year already but is working to save money to go to a ministry school of her choice so it is hard to get it worked into her schedule but she only went to one year of high school - the rest was all homeschooled. She is 17, and getting a pretty good savings account built up...and yes, she was at the top of her class in that one year of school, plus she was just baffled at how no one seems to try to learn anything there![​IMG]

Our oldest son was homeschooled, went thru one year of high school and took his GED so he could go to ministry school and just graduated from his second year of that and is a youth pastor at a very nice church in Silicon Valley CA... he is 20.

Not bragging - *well, smile, a little* - but just trying to show that it CAN be done. I have three to go yet - lol[​IMG]

17. Lauram

Lauram New Member

VictoriaNTC: My son looks like the weight of the world has been lifted off his small shoulders. I have never seen him this free and happy.
    Hi Victoria,
    My eyes started to water reading this phrase...I'm so happy for you and your boys that you able to take them by the hand and show them the way it 'should' be....(proper education, people in authority and not abusing it, children learning in a fun and wholesome way and wonderful environment....)

One of the other moms I know, refered me to this web site...I know I'm not there yet, but I'm certainly contemplating home schooling my daughter!

It's an organization in B.C, but it may give you some other ideas as far as which road to go down and perhaps some key words you research further..

http://www.wondertree.ca/index.html

You are probably well on your way with a set plan, but it's nice to have some other ideas head your way!

Sounds like your boys are in beautifully caring hands! [​IMG]

18. VictoriaNTC

This is what sent me over the edge into a good decision!
    Newbie Shield: Hi Victoria,

~Newbie Shield~
    I feel like spilling my guts now.

When we went to the principal's intro speech at the beginning of the year, I felt sick.
    My impression was he had a control issue.

Anyway, we tried school and my son was injured very badly on the playground. His head was split open, as a result if rules being broken (not my son) and no supervision.

We went through hell. I mean he changed..he was irritable, humiliated and scared to go to school. And badly scarred.

I received a nasty letter about his absences, (due to injury) mentioning his absence would be reported to Social Services!.

You can imagine my response.
    I mean the school nurse transported my son to the hospital with an open head injury with no safety belt. Duh!

A few months later, my son was playing "tag" (8 years old) at recess with some girls.

This sick principal called the police and my son was accused of sexual assault.
    Can you believe this?
    This was in retaliation to my standing my ground about the absence thing.

I hired a lawyer, because my son wanted to see what we could do about his scars.
    The lawyer went to the school and refuses to talk to me.
    She will not even return our pictures my son's injury.
    Strange.

I miss having time to myself.
    However, public school can be a nightmare!

Thank you Lauram for the wonderful resource!
    Victoria

19. weebitty

weebitty Member

make sure to teach your kids the Bill of Rights as well. That isn't being taught in the schools nowadays and our rights are being taken away little by little. But if you don't know your rights you don't know they are being taken away and I think that is on purpose. I applaude you all for taking your kids out of schools and teaching them on your own. [​IMG] The school system we have is a big black hole of money and nothing else. I have a cousin who has been a teacher for 28 years and those are his words not mine. He said that after the older generation of teachers retire the kids are lost. I would encourage everyone to homeschool their kids.

20. Julsy

Julsy New Member

I just finished up my 9th year of homeschooling both of my children. The hardest part is not slacking and sticking to a routine. The greatest thing about it though is not being in the "rat race" and being able to make your own schedule. But, make sure to stick to that schedule because it is very important to keep some structure and not get slack. Also, stay organized and keep good records of the work you do every single day. Look up and know all your state requirments and follow them to a T! They can come inspect you at anytime, but know that the chances of this is very slim unless you don't turn in your required testing and attendance records by your deadlines. Get involved with your local homeschool group. Most areas have sports, fieldtrips and even park days open to all homeschooling kids, don't skip out on these, your child does still need socialization as well as learning hands on during fieldtrips are fun. Most important figure out how your child learns best. I have one child that does better in books and one child that does much better learning online. If your child is a more visual learner, you will want to get them in some funner online curriculums. There are so many curriculums to choose from and I can recommend several different ones that I have tried for both on and offline learning if you would like. Feel free to message me with any other questions, I would be happy to share my experiences.