Home School Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by VictoriaNTC, Mar 20, 2009.

1. ModernMother

ModernMother New Member

I had been home schooled for grades 11 & 12. My parents could not afford the Catholic School I was going to and the inner city public school I would have had to go to was getting a lot of attention for the violence happening there. I loved being home schooled.
    I am thinking about homeschooling my son as well. He is starting 5th grade. Have you looked in the K12 program. I have and it seems awesome. They give you tons of supplies for hands on learning. This program is supported by most states and most states even have "at home public schools" that use this program- it is free this way. Or you can choose to use a "private homeschooling program" - then you have to pay a fee. You can also by this program by itself and use it on your own. I know with the PA Charter school (uses K12), that I looked into even has group field trips you can choose to take advantage of.

I think homeschooling is great. Our kids today are just a number and too many kids get lost in the system.

2. MayaLocke

MayaLocke New Member

The only downside to home schooling is the socialization piece. If you supplement by getting them involved in sports and social groups or even networking with other home schooled families it can be a great experience for kids. They certainly often learn more.

3. weebitty

weebitty Member

The other good side of home schooling the kids don't get sick as much either therefore bringing it home to you[​IMG]

But in all seriousness I think you and your child are better off if home schooled. Serveral reason why....

Better attitudes toward life and learning which they will carry for the rest of their lives.

Not getting sick as often.
    Getting a better education than they can get in public schools where teachers don't care or don't have the time to care.

Plus the gift of seeing your child grow and advance in ways that other kids don't get to do. Yours will be the fortunate ones and you will be the reason for it. Something to feel good about for both of you. What is evern better if the father is involved as well. They need both male and female points of view on things. And experience the difference between them. Sometimes you can enroll your child in a private school a couple of days a week with certain classes to be taken that you can't do. I know my cousin does that. She home schools 3 days a week and takes them 2 day to a christian school for the rest of it. That is an options as well for socialization skills as well as learning skills from others. Just a thought.

4. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

weebitty: Getting a better education than they can get in public schools where teachers don't care or don't have the time to care.
    All depends... I homeschooled for many years and am sending mine to public school this year as they want to do sports and we live in a very small town so they are not so much a number here....

Homeschooling is great as long as you can make it fun and are committed. I just got tired of it so am sending them off come the first of September and I can't wait to have whole long peaceful quiet days.[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. weebitty

weebitty Member

you maybe one of the lucky one if the school is small enough and the classroom size small enough for the teacher to handle. What grade are you kids going into this sept??

6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

4th - 8th and 10th

They have a lot of friends in the school and we personally know a bunch of the teachers so it should be fine.