How do you choose your sponsor?

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by luvinarizona, May 31, 2014.

1. annadenise

annadenise Active Member

Great replies in this thread. Ironically, I just saw someone on another forum early this morning stating he was dropping out of a co., he had a sponsor who is really big in network marketing that never contacts him, he had no idea what was going on with the company, etc.

A good sponsor should have a reputation for keeping their downline informed, being aware of things going on in the company, and help even people below their immediate downline. Shoot, I assist people not even under me or above me if I know something they don't know and am personally asked about it. Common courtesy, what goes around comes around, whatever you want to call it!!! It's good for your sponsor to have a good sponsor too so when you are on vacation, ill or without an internet connection you can have your sponsor's assistance too!

On the other hand, this person should have taken the time to log into their back office and review past calls that were recorded and could have learned more and not expected to have to do absolutely nothing.

2. closerjim

closerjim Active Member

Great point Denise,

I too see posts and get emails touting that the person has been "personally
    sponsored by" or "personally coached by" .... some well known "legend" in
    MLM.

Okay..... let's consider.

If this "legend" is where you'd want to be today, why are they still building?

If they are in fact still building, "legends" typically don't take "personals"
    (people they personally sponsor) unless this person has a downline already
    or some other way, can demonstrate a lot of influence to bring a downline.

You want an EFFECTIVE downline. One who IS working and building, but
    don't be fooled by "name dropping" is all we're saying.

Look, test, interview your sponsor.

If they are new ... great! You will be too. BUT ARE THEY CONNECTED
    to someone who isn't new?

Remember ... who you sponsor under it the ONLY choice you will get to
    make, other than whatever starting package you're planning on buying.

Have a great weekend!

3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

Exactly! Perfectly said!

It is all up to you!

4. Lorraine Pierce

Lorraine Pierce New Member

1. I never join the top guru (they are normally too busy to answer your zillion questions)
    2. I always make sure I'm in the BEST team for that biz op (ask for access to the leader boards)
    3. Automation and rotators are a Plus Plus

5. closerjim

closerjim Active Member

Not to be "confrontational" ... but if it was "all up to you ... " a lot more people would
    have succeeded in getting to 6 and 7 figures than do.

Upline makes a huge difference if you have a good one.

Lorraine hits it right on the nose too, with her 3 pieces of advice.

Especially #1. Joining a high profile "guru" ... even if you ARE being "personally mentored"
    or better yet ... "Personally Sponsored" is usually not a good idea. They typically are too
    busy to give you the real time and attention and SHOULDN'T be taking on "Personals"
    any longer anyway.

Here's another way to look at it.... if it's "All up to you...." --- how ya doin' with that?

"I'm on track to make 8 figures .... " --- ever hear the sports skit done by Bill Cosby?

It's hilariously funny, but something he says about doing sports in this skit sums up
    a common "cop out" used in our industry. Taught by well meaning leaders.

When asked, "How much money ya makin' at this?" or "How's it going for YOU?" they
    teach to DEFLECT the answer with a pretty tricky "dodge" to the question.

"I'm on track to ..... " is one of them.

In Bill's skit, he's competing in the High Jump and is attempting something like 4 1/2 feet.
    He hits the bar!

Later .. he's asked, "How you do?" and his response ... "I just missed 6 feet."

True! But not exactly "precise" right?

"I'm ON TRACK for 6 figures ...." "Goin' GREAT .. but it's not all about ME ... what's
    important is what YOU can make... but I'll tell you, if you hit the SAME PACE I'm on
    you'll be smiling!" ----- okay.

Starting out with ... "Your sponsor doesn't make any difference, man. It's all up to you."

Use that line and see where it gets you with most people, who are thinking....

"I don't know anything about this company... I drive a fork lift for a living now.... I've
    never heard of whatever this stuff is called.... and it's all up to ME?"

Hey ... if anyone's reading this ... and you hear that .... ask to talk to a different
    potential sponsor. This one has just revealed something about their technique and
    sponsoring style that won't be good for your business.

Have a super and PRODUCTIVE weekend!

6. VicHugo

VicHugo New Member

Hi luvinarizona,

There are 8 marks that you want to look for in a sponsor or mentor:

1. Seem to have what you personally need: Knowledge, attitudes, habits, behavior, & skills.
    2. Has a network of resources: Can help you reach your freedom because of who they know & what they know.
    3. Is consulted by others: The most obvious sign is when he or she is already guiding others.
    4. Is consistent in his or her lifestyle: They put to practice what they say & train others.
    5. Creates value & touch other people’s lives: They are not focused on sales pitching. They are focused on how they can add value & make a difference in people’s lives.
    6. Is respected by others in the profession: Not about a popularity contest. It is about their character.
    7. Cultivates relationships: Does not see people as dollar signs. They see them as human beings.
    8. Promotes team culture & success: They genuinely care & invest in his or her team’s success with their own training along side with the company’s products & services
    Hoped it helped :)

7. closerjim

closerjim Active Member

That's a great post, Victor. Good job.

VicHugo likes this.
  8. Christian Frum

Christian Frum New Member

Here is my advice; chose the person that invited you to the presentation, or if you are seeking a new company, choose someone who already is a Network Marketing professional. That means chose someone that has a track record, and is known to be a smart business person. Good leaders don't chose bunk companies.

payment proof likes this.
  9. Wi11

Wi11 New Member

It's tough to say how to pick a good sponsor. I think there are some definite qualities that are staples in good sponsoring. I don't really focus on the success of the sponsor but look to see how much creditable knowledge he or she has is willing to offer. From experience, I've had several sponsors with different qualities; however, now that I've matured I know which ones were legitimately good sponsors. I think the big thing for me was the good sponsors don't write you off the first time you couldn't make a meeting wasn't able to buy a specific product. Good sponsors stick with you and encourage every step of the way. But keep in mind that there is a point in which a person is not worth the time anymore. You have to understand your sponsor has their business to run, as well.

-

10. Dereco Cherry

Dereco Cherry Member

Ask yourself this question. Do I think this person can help me reach my goals if I join this business? If the answer is yes then you have found your sponsor. Now keep in mind your up line does not determine your success in any business, YOU do but most people starting out in network marketing fail to realize that and thus a lot of times just quit.

11. Bert Declercq

Bert Declercq New Member

Hello,

When I just got started I was introduced to my future company through one of my best friends. I was too unexperienced to analyze if he would be a good sponsor. Unfortunately my entire direct upline were people who talked a lot and didn't do a lot. I only figured this out when I was already in the business. BUT! The big lesson I quickly learned is that yes your sponsor matters but Network Marketing is mostly self-educating yourself, failing 1000 times and learning from thhose mistakes.

I realized really quickly that it might be harder without a decent upline but the famous quote by Jim Rohn helped me a lot
    . So I just read lots of books, watched video's and starting working working working. I became the upline for my team that I once was missing out on.

What I encourage all of you to do when you don't have a qualified good sponsor in your direct upline like I did, is go up the ladder until you find a decent one. Somewhere there will be a good one.

A few good qualities your sponsor needs to have:
    - Proof that matches his talk, actions/results always speak louder than words so ask for physicall proof of what he/she is saying.
    - You have to feel a click with that person.
    - He/ She needs to be willing to teach you everything they know, I like to say 'Be a King maker, not a King'.

Kind Regards,

Bert Declercq

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  12. Bert Declercq

Bert Declercq New Member

I completely agree on what you say Dereco. I was in a situation like this where my upline wasn't helping me a lot. Luckily I realized quickly that it was me who had to do the work. And you hit the nail on the head with stating that most people don't realize this and expect other people to do the work for them.

The way I see an upline is as a person who can get you going with the basics, teach you the thing you need to know in order to be able to get going. After that it's not a bad thing to break away from your upline, you need to become independent. Of course staying in touch is a must, uplines still play a huge role in closing calls or meetings.

Kind Regards,

Bert Declercq

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
    Dereco Cherry likes this.
  13. YAGOOFT

YAGOOFT Active Member

Interesting question,

A lot of good advice and suggestions on this thread, and I am sure helpful for many, but I have seen it all, and what I have learned is that YOU have to be YOUR best sponsor. Far to often people rely on the spillover fairy, or the get rich quick hype, and anyone who uses these tactics to lure you into their business is usually the type who will drop you like a hot potatoe once you join their program.

If you are a newbie to any home business, sure, it makes sense to have someone you can rely on for questions you have, advice, help, motivational support, etc., but in the end, it is up to you. I have seen it all, and in every case, it was up to the individual to succeed, not their sponsor. My most successful people were those who took the initiative to learn all they could as quickly as possible about their new business opportunity, and given the fact that most companies have great support tools all provided in their websites back office, less holding of the hands of newbies is required over past decade where the internet has provided more support than an individual ever could.

The trend in business strategies is always changing, and as I recently have seen, more people are using integrity to choose their sponsors, not just going with the biggest hypster which we have all seen all over the internet with their staged hype with phony actors which show up on several videos over and over, the staged backdrops of mansions and luxury sports cars, it is sickening to see the phony income statements and on and on the BS goes to lure in the newbies. Simply put, I would never go with the get rich quick hype most of these so called guru's use. Choose a sponsor like you would choose a friend, very carefully.

I recently was surprised to enroll a socalled heavy hitter in the industry, and amazingly, I didn't know him before he joined my business opportunity. I like to contact everyone with a personal note offering to assist and answer any of their questions, etc., so you always want to offer your help no knowing if they need it or not. Well, needless to say, he didn't need any of my help as he was a true professional in the industry and had built a group of over 200,ooo in a previous well known company, so I was impressed more by him than of my own achievements over the years. Simyply put, you never know, but always offer to help and support your new members is important. When we talked, I asked him how he happened to register on my website, and it was simple, he said it was referred to him by someone else who was not in my business. AAAHHH, the power of reciprocal referral marketing, he joined because I had helped someone else get started in another business we were both in and although he didn't join my new business, he referred me to his friend knowing I was one he could trust to know every answer to every question he might have.

Simply put, you never know, so don't let your reputation get ruined by following the hypsters which in almost every case are full of it, total fakes and graduates of the fake it until you make it club. Never follow the hype, always choose a sound and solid high demand niche product is my best advice. Never lead with money, lead with value, lead with money saving and time saving businesses, recessionproof, easy, low or no cost to start, then you have a chance of success. Don't fall for the hype of get rich quick is as simple as it gets. Sponsors are important, yes, but only if they support you, not hype you up which leads to failure more often then not. Guru's run with the same crowd, and they all work together hyping each others programs like clock work. How many times have you seen reviews of the same people in different programs? It is the game for them milking as much as possible from each new deal, makes me sick with I found out the truth, so beware, run a Google search on your sponsor to see how many other money games they promoted.

Success to all,

14. Conor Doherty

Conor Doherty New Member

Pick someone that gives you value, has a track record of success, and won't give up on you. Hard to do sometimes when you don't know them, but that's where you can do your homework on social media outlets.

Bert Declercq and payment proof like this.
  15. Christopher Li

Christopher Li New Member

Great question. You ask yourself if you would trade your place with them. If the answer is no, then don't join them and look for someone who you would trade places with. Hope this helps.

16. Beyshanw

Beyshanw New Member

Finding a good sponsor is important but remember your success doesn't depend on your sponsor it depends on you. Your sponsor can provide you with all the training and tools you need but at the end of the day what you do will determine your success.

17. Darryl Butler

Darryl Butler New Member

I guess you can say I've been around the block with network marketing having done if for over 15 years. Sponsors are a dime of dozen in my opinion...One must be ready to educate themselves to become a leader. Now don't get me wrong having a sponsor you can talk to is good but being able to take the initiative to start learning all you can about the industry will take you a lot further. I've seen sponsors only committed to those who are willing to spend the extra cash for their secondary business or their coaching program.
    Today you have a lot of Guru's jumping from business to business because that is how they make their money...looking for the next big wave. Your job is not to get caught up in that. but look for a stable business that requires minimal amount of investment and maximum amount of return.

18. L-OIL

L-OIL New Member

Just some things off the top of my head.

1. Someone knowledge about the product their selling (IE. I work with Essential Oils and I'm a Certified Professional Aromatherapist)

2. Someone as close to you as possible. You want to be able to talk to this person easily, be able to attend mettings/parties/etc. and see how they succeed first-hand.

3. Someone willing to mentor and teach you, not throw pre-written scripts at you and expect you to build a business.

19. jmcpro

jmcpro New Member

Find someone you can communicate with consistently. Do they have contact information for themselves on Facebook and Skype? A YouTube channel? This has always been crucial for me.