How do you Meditate?

Discussion in 'Meditation' started by bryfry9000, Oct 14, 2008.

1. bryfry9000

bryfry9000 Guest

I am recently reading the book "the secret"
    I read i should just write out things that I desire.
    Ask and believe and i think the last thing is taking action.
    There's this part in the book that says I should get use to saying
    "Life is so easy, Life is so good, All good things come to me"
    I would like to know how do YOU meditate?...[​IMG]

2. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

That is not meditation! Meditation is absence of thoughts and desires.

3. bryfry9000

bryfry9000 Guest

That may be YOUR definition of meditation.
    People have different ways of meditating.
    I looked it up and it means to "reduce stress, promote relaxation, and enhance personal and spiritual growth."
    So for me doing those things applies to the definition.
    Just the part of having good thoughts i mean..

4. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

To meditate..your goal is to quiet your mind.
    Then the sub-conscious is available to you, and that has access to the ether, Universal Mind, the spirit world, God..is does not matter the name.

You sit comfortably, and close your eyes...I leave on a fan and focus on that or your breathing.

At first, you will realize your thoughts race back and forth like crazy.
    After 2 weeks of 15 or so minute meditations, you will begin to have a quieter mind.

Just release any thought rather that pondering them.

There are many good down loadable programs available.
    I just purchased a few, after checking out many and if you MM me I can forward information for you.

Have you the Original version of The Secret DVD with Esther Hicks and Abraham?[​IMG]

Victoria

5. bryfry9000

bryfry9000 Guest

hmmm.. I'll try that to see how it works out.
    Thanks

6. Vishal P. Rao

bryfry9000: I looked it up and it means to "reduce stress, promote relaxation, and enhance personal and spiritual growth."

What it means to doesn't define it! If singing reduces stress, promotes relaxation, does that mean singing is meditation???

Meditation is awareness. If you can do anything with full awareness, it becomes meditation.

Read some books on meditation or listen to some discourses and then you'll realize what it is. Don't simply take every word you get from answers.com

7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

...to me, meditation is simply getting quiet and emptying my mind of all MY stuff and meditating or focusing on one certain point.

I happen to be a believer of a 'higher power' and to me that is the God of the universe - to you, it may be something else .... but when I empty my mind of my own stuff, it allows me to tap into the energy of a higher power...

Repeating words to yourself is called 'positive thinking' and it is a good thing to do as well.[​IMG]

I mean, c'mon, in a world as negative as ours.... anything positive is a great thing![​IMG]

8. bryfry9000

bryfry9000 Guest

well, see what i mean.. if your "focusing" on something then how is it meditation? Vishal said the mind had to be clear. AAHHH to confusing.

9. Vishal P. Rao

Meditation is broadly classified into two types - concentration based and awareness/mindfulness based.

Concentration based forms of meditation includes gazing on a flame or object, repeating a mantra or a word, concentrating on a particular energy center in your body, etc.

Mindfulness/Awareness form of meditation does not involve any specific object to focus on. You are aware of whatever is happening around/within you. Your thoughts, body movements, sounds, etc. Some people find this method more relaxing than the concentration type, which can be a bit stressing.

The end goal of both the method is same. To prevent the mind from getting distracted, to reduce thoughts and to bring the awareness within.

bryfry9000: if your "focusing" on something then how is it meditation? Vishal said the mind had to be clear.

When you are completely focusing on something, your mind is void of thoughts. It is only when it is half focused that your mind drifts. Focusing is not thinking about the object. Awareness, I think, is more appropriate term.

I suggest you read Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. It's as amazing read.

10. pcwork

pcwork New Member

Vishal P. Rao: Mindfulness/Awareness form of meditation does not involve any specific object to focus on. You are aware of whatever is happening around/within you. Your thoughts, body movements, sounds, etc. Some people find this method more relaxing than the concentration type, which can be a bit stressin
    Can you explain this in more detail?

11. Vishal P. Rao

pcwork: Can you explain this in more detail?

You just have to be aware/mindful of things around you, within you. For example, if you are walking, be aware of your legs, your arms swaying, your breath. When you are eating, be aware of the taste, the smell of food, your eating arm. When you are doing nothing, be aware of your breath, going in and out. Be aware of your thoughts, your emotions...

12. VictoriaNTC

VictoriaNTC Silver Member

Hello bryfry9000,

You can explore You Tube and find a lot of meditation and spiritual info.
    Especially the Abraham-Hicks material, which was the basis for The Secret.
    Victoria

13. njwoods

njwoods New Member

hello all,
    I am just learning to meditate too, what are the best kinds? I have heard of one called "active meditation", where you use shields and so on.

Has anyone ever used this technique? I still find it difficult to be calm and stop the mind chatter.

[Link removed - Admin]

14. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

I just sit in a comfortable chair.

Close my eyes.

Relax my body.

Still my mind.

~Newbie Shield~

15. Rosie1

Rosie1 New Member

I guess it means something different to everyone. I too read the secret. Great book. But meditation to me, is having peace in my mind and body..letting go off all the stresses of life, and allowing God to guide and work through me[​IMG]

Good luck with whatever avenue you choose. I think we all need a little quiet time in this crazy world!

16. Sargasso108

Sargasso108 New Member

I'd just like to mention that there is one form of meditation which is verified by over 600 scientific research studies from independent research instituions and universities all over the world. This is THE REAL DEAL. Just go to tm.org and davidlynchfoundation.org to find out all about it.

The National Institutes of Health have funded over 24 million dollars in grants to further research the effects of the Transcendental Meditation program on decreasing high blood pressure, risk of strokes and heart disease.

TM increases IQ, is very effective in dealing with ADD and ADHD.

Look no further. There's plenty of information at these websites.

Research has been done to show this is the MOST effective method of meditation to get the most far-reaching results.

I advise you to look into it if you're serious about finding the best meditation you can, to bring benefits to all areas of your life.

New studies and documentaries coming out on how TM reverses the effects of diabetes.

17. The_man

The_man New Member

Newbie Shield: Ijust sit in a comfortable chair.

Close my eyes.

Relax my body.

Still my mind.

~Newbie Shield~
    aaaughh! I can't get through!

When someone hears 'meditation', I'm pretty sure that the first thing that comes to mind is sitting on the floor and humming, but I could see how singing would be some sort of meditation.

But on the rare occasion that I actually do meditate, I end up doing the sit-and-hum thing

18. jimmyk007

jimmyk007 New Member

Yup I agree.. meditation is indeed the the art of thinking nothing, which is surely easier said than done. And the one in the secret is not meditation but mind setting.

But since you're asking, I do my own mind setting by closing my eyes and thinking of reaching my goal by actually envisioning my goal somewhere near me while I try to reach it. And yes, my hands do move when I do it so it's a little weird but it will be in your mind.

19. coffee

coffee New Member

Can you listen to music? A few years ago I picked up a cd, natural meditation. It has things like water, birds, flute etc. I listened to the cd several times. But I think I am going to try.

20. Hezokuai

Hezokuai New Member

I have found several different methods throughout my life that have helped me. The focusing on my breathing or on a fan, or just sitting outside focusing on the sounds of the crickets or birds always seem to lead me to that place where my mind becomes empty except for those things. Once you reach that state, removing the fan or the crickets becomes easy.
    The other method I have had a great deal of success with is much more intense really. The first time I ever really reached that state was actually during a concert, listening to the music, with my eyes closed, dancing, the music and I became one, it was amazing!