How many people have tried freelancing?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by onedumbaussie, Oct 15, 2010.

1. onedumbaussie New Member

Just started hiring myself out as a freelance writer and re-writer. There is so much work, I am very surprised.

Has anyone else had any success with free lancing?

The writing side is very competitive but for programmers etc there is not a lot of competition. Wish I could code.

Anyway, Interested to hear your success stories with freelancing.

Thanks all.

One Dumb Aussie
  2. talfighel Silver Member

There are many sites that want people like you to write articles for them for a fee. Which ones? I am not too sure. Maybe others can come here and give you some sites that do hire.

Tal
  3. al99 New Member

There is lots of work for articles writers because a majority just fail to deliver.

If you can provide a consistent, reliable and quality service people will not only pay you more but chuck work at you.

How are you offering out your services?
  4. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Hey Aussie - what programs are you working for? I have a friend that is wanting to do some freelancing ... are you on fiverr or odesk by any chance? If so , can you share some tips that I can pass on to my friend?? THANKS![IMG]
  5. onedumbaussie New Member

Hi Mate,
    Late reply but anyway.

Yes fiverr has been ok for me. The social marketers and link builders seem to be doing the best. No-one wants to pay us humble writers. LOL

I would say think of something outlandish, these gigs do ok as well.

I also use freelancer but it is hard to break in, I finally got some work there but it took a month.

Freelancer tips,
    Have a body of work you can direct potential employers too. It is competitive so have evidence.

Make sure your bids are well written and with no Mistakes. Sell yourself. Use the space provided to tell your story.
    HINT: I am desperate and need money for food does not work, you will be surprised how much you see this. Be honest and direct them to your sample work.

Keep at it: It will take some time to break in unless you are a legend programmer then it will take 5 minutes.

Good luck I hope that helps your friend I highly recommend freelancing just be careful, you can find yourself spending 2 hours on a $5 Job. Not good economics.

Take care

One Dumb Aussie
  6. mountainmom5 Gold Member

Thanks mate! That is some great advice to pass on to her.[IMG]
  7. lilwallace92 New Member

Honestly i don't see how freelance writing is a good job at all. it sounds like it takes up way too much time for how much it pays.
  8. mountainmom5 Gold Member

lilwallace92: Honestly i don't see how freelance writing is a good job at all. it sounds like it takes up way too much time for how much it pays.
    I totally agree - if you want to write, why not write for your own website or blog and make money with it (which is what the people are doing that are paying you for the article.)[IMG]

But there are people like my friend that are just totally not interested in doing their own thing...
  9. lilwallace92 New Member

mountainmom5: I totally agree - if you want to write, why not write for your own website or blog and make money with it (which is what the people are doing that are paying you for the article.)
    Exactly, Thats what i do. And its very good money. You may as well go big or go home. But of course theres alot more work involved making money of off a blog, but still.
  10. happywife Gold Member

lilwallace92: Honestly i don't see how freelance writing is a good job at all. it sounds like it takes up way too much time for how much it pays.

mountainmom5: if you want to write, why not write for your own website or blog and make money with it
    This is true to some extent, but one is a job and one is building a business. Those require two different mindsets.

Also, writing for yourself to build a website business does not pay immediately, which is what a lot of people need. They need immediate income that they can rely upon, so freelance writing works for them.

If a person is in that position, I always recommend that they try to get some immediate work writing for others to bring in the cash they need to get by while also learning and working on the side to build up their own website.

That way as their own website gradually/eventually starts making them some money, they can phase out the freelance work and focus solely on their own business.

If someone doesn't NEED to make money asap, I would definitely skip the freelancing and dive right into learning how to build a web business. [IMG]

Blessings,
    Angie
  11. onedumbaussie New Member

I mostly do it for fun and the challenge.

Recent jobs have been, Article on Jamaican website, Article on getting kids to brush teeth Its always interesting.

I had to do PPC ads for Hunting! That was hard.

What I have found is it introduces me to new niches I never even thought of. It also helps with my research skills.

Its not a lot of money But that is not the aim for me.

I enjoy the writing and researching and the little bit of cash pays for some services that make me much better money.

If your starting out or just want to cover your ISP bill each month I highly recommend freelancing.

One Dumb Aussie