How much do you spend on a home based business

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Buddy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ElizabethFM

ElizabethFM New Member

Angie, Thanks so much for the above answer. I think the best thing for me is to start writing in a small booklet and get to terms with the terms!
    I've for instance had a look at your websites and I can see the advertisements pop up (mostly relevant to NZ) - so I take it that that would be the "affiliate" marketing. Now these ads would not be from clickbank? If not, how do you get these ads to appear on your site? Is there a place to "subscribe" (for want of a better word).
    I have subscribed to your newsletter and look forward to receiving it. Thought back to our missionary days while reading your profile.
    Elizabeth

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Hi Elizabeth,

[​IMG] I know! It's like you need a new dictionary. You'll get used to the terms eventually.

Actually, the ads that you see on my website that are targeted to NZ are not really affiliate marketing. They fall more into the category of advertising income through Google Adsense.

Affiliate marketing is based on commissions earned on sales from referrals. I guess you were looking at my angieberg.com site, but an example would be the banner on the far right side for SiteBuildIt. If a visitor clicks on the banner and visits SBI to find out more info. I don't get anything for that, but if the visitor decides to purchase SBI, I get a commission.

Adsense is the opposite. The block of text ads that you saw in the top and upper left of some pages are Google Ads. They are different for nearly every person who visits because Google targets the ads to the visitor's geographic location.

Anyway, when a visitor clicks on one of those ads, Google charges the advertiser a price per click for that visitor. Then Google shares that money with me. So, I get paid when someone clicks on an ad, but I don't get paid a commission if they go on to purchase something at the site they clicked away to.

What's really funny is that I just added those Adsense ads to that site last night. I haven't had any on that particular site because I have been unable to work on it for the last 18 months for personal reasons and have just started overhauling it this weekend because I'm determined to get back on track with it.

Some people don't like to put Google ads on their site. I thought they looked awful at first, but now I love them because I earn more from Adsense (on my other sites) than I do for affiliate marketing, so it's worth it to me.

I figure that my visitors wouldn't be clicking on the ad if they didn't see something of interest, so in some ways I'm still helping them find what they are searching for.

You DO sign up for Adsense to become a publisher. It doesn't cost anything to become a publisher, but you have to be approved first. That means you have to have a website to submit to Google so that they can review it and decide whether or not to approve you.

Once you are approved, they have a step by step process where you go into your Adsense account and choose the size and color of the ads you'd like to place on your site. They generate a code that you then copy and paste into the page of your site where you want the ad to appear. That's it! The code (and Google) does the rest. It automatically presents relevant ads based on the content of the page and the location of the visitor.

It's kind of "spooky" in a way how it works, but it's brilliant. It's been a great blessing to me and my family to have learned how to build a website and earn an extra income online.

I hope that clears things up a bit more.

I'm glad you signed up for my newsletter. I haven't sent one out from that site for so long (shame on me), but I hope to get one out in the next week or so. Meanwhile, you are more than welcome to write me via the site contact form or ask more questions here in the forum if appropriate.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your "missionary days" while you're at it.

Blessings,
    Angie

3. Rondell Savage

Rondell Savage New Member

When it comes to spend a home-based business, it fundamentally depends on the type of business it is and must suit my repertoires, interests and preferences. Also, since even carrying out business online is a big challenge, so it is very possible to get your fingers burnt unexpectedly. :)