How to network with businesses/groups on Facebook business page?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Ascendant, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Ascendant

Ascendant New Member

I recently put together a Facebook business page to do some local freelance personal training. I am hoping to just keep myself busy enough that I can pay the bills while I pursue a college degree in a new field.

One obstacle I have run into is how to go about promoting myself through Facebook. I would like to network with local businesses and people but due to Facebook's spam policy, I'm finding it rather difficult. I'm wondering if it is possible to network with local businesses on Facebook and if so, how? The only way I've seen any possibility of doing it so far is to "like" their business page and hope they return the favor, but I'd imagine that wouldn't be very effective.

Additionally, I have read a lot of information on the net about connecting to groups that have similar interests. However, I'm not sure if the information is outdated or I'm simply missing something, but it doesn't seem like I can search for groups from a Facebook business page. Additionally, it doesn't seem like filtering searches by both groups and location is an option at this point. So, does anyone know of a way to connect with groups on a Facebook business page?

I just have to say I find this all really discouraging as it seems to me as if Facebook discourages business from directly networking with each other through their pages. If anyone can help me out here, it would be greatly appreciated. My priority at this point is simply connecting with local businesses and individuals that might be interested in my personal training services (people interested in fitness, exercise, health, etc.). More information is listed on my page on the link in my signature. Any and all help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  2. shannontaylor

shannontaylor New Member

Facebook has become more difficult to network on in terms of the business sense. What you need to do is connect with business local to you. Just search for business types in google near your location then you can search directly for their Facebook. Now in order to connect you will need to engage with them directly through their post. Maybe they are positing about summer being right around the corner, well then you can say " Oh yes it is! Personal training can help you to get your to your summer best in no time and have you looking great!" (or something like that) This will make not only the company but individuals aware of your service. You should also see if your town has a local board when you can post. Also ask your friends to share your Facebook page on their wall to build your fan base. Then start sharing the benefits of your business rather then trying to sell. People connect with the benefits of a product or service because often times they can relate! Hope this helps [​IMG]
  3. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

I agree that Facebook discourages business from directly networking with each other through their pages. It really seems Facebook favors very large businesses and corporations. I have seen a bunch of successful freebie and coupon give aways from these larger companies.

As an individual, I guess one of the best things you can do is start liking others who may share your niche/interest. And maybe post on some popular walls without spamming.

Good luck.
  4. gowriter

gowriter Member

Hon, don't forget that Facebook has advertising. Sometimes I think we focus a little too much on free traffic when paid advertising can get you to your target a whole lot faster.

Facebook ads are cheaper than Google Adwords with less of a learning curve. There's a lady who used to work for Google Adwords who makes most of her money from Facebook Advertising.

I kid you not, here's the link to her free webinar: http://mattsmarketingblog.com/facebook/facebook-niche-marketing-webinar/

If you need to zazz up your Facebook page, you may want to consider Lujure.com. If you sign up for free, you can use their online software to create ONE fanpage.

If you upgrade to their consultant fee for $30 a month, you can create a number of Fanpages.

Facebook ads can target by city, age, sex, education, location, etc. You might want to look at it a little more. If it gets you a targeted audience, it's worrth spending the money.

You can put a lifetime budget on your ads for a week. Start off with spending no more than $35. Period. Try out your ad. It's really simple.
  5. payment proof

payment proof Active Member

LinkedIn may be another site you'd like to look at. You can connect with others in your same business, share the same niche, etc.
  6. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Help other people get what they want and need and you will get what you want and need and yes I do believe it is that simple.

I am very active in many facebook groups. I rarely post my own links but offer encouragement and I also am open to the opportunities of others. Like attracts like. When I do then post a link, they pay attention.

Is this a slow process? Yes, but it's effective. It's called building relationships and that simply does not happen overnight.

I see so many that push their own opportunities and keep a closed mind towards others and their opportunities. Had I not invested into some other opportunities, I simply would not be where I am. Like attracts like.

Can we really expect others to invest into us if we aren't willing to give back? Like attracts like. I have developed some very lucrative partnerships like this and lasting friendships as well.

So what I suppose I am saying is take the focus off of what you want and you just might get a big surprise. Facebook is full of others just polluting with their links and opportunities.

Offer value, support to others, and you will get it back almost every time.
  7. Kyle_K

Kyle_K Member

robinincarolina: Can we really expect others to invest into us if we aren't willing to give back? Like attracts like. I have developed some very lucrative partnerships like this and lasting friendships as well.

So what I suppose I am saying is take the focus off of what you want and you just might get a big surprise. Facebook is full of others just polluting with their links and opportunities.

Offer value, support to others, and you will get it back almost every time.

*Like* That is some excellent advice right there. Thank you for sharing that Robin. I am going to put that advice to good use right away!
  8. feenux23

feenux23 New Member

robinincarolina: I am very active in many facebook groups. I rarely post my own links but offer encouragement and I also am open to the opportunities of others. Like attracts like. When I do then post a link, they pay attention.
    I have tried this as well and it is MUCH MORE effective than just spamming Facebook and placing your links on there. You need to take the time and actually do some research with the companies that you want to engage with. Look at it this way, are you going to pay attention to a flyer you get in the mail about some individual that you don't even know, or would you be more interested if that individual went up to your place of business and introduced themselves to you?

Having direct contact with the company or individual that you want to do business with is always more effective and you have a higher chance of getting a sale or new customer because of that.
  9. robpenn

robpenn Member

From what I have heard you need to have a fan page where you discuss your business and also a personal page where you socialize. Facebook is about being social not selling or promoting your business.

When you make a friend on FB you can post a comment on their personal page from your business fan page. The friend can then follow that link back to your business fan page.