How to overcome info overload

Discussion in 'Website Promotion' started by irmy2000, Feb 28, 2009.

1. irmy2000

irmy2000 New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Just want to ask for advice, how to overcome info overload - I am trying to learn ways to make money online, but reading too many ebooks have made me headache and confuse...
  2. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Slow down... take a deep breathe... just take ONE and thoroughly study it till it make sense, implement what you learn from that before you go to anything else.

Experience is the best teacher - and some people study themselves right out of it all, rather than just take a few small steps and learn as they go... It's kinda like riding a bike.

No matter how much you read about riding a bike, once you get on one, you still have to master the art of actually staying on it... .[​IMG]

It is all a huge learning curve as far as internet marketing goes, and NO ONE learned it overnight! [​IMG]
  3. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

Yes, i agree.

Me too, have this kind of habit of reading a lot of info and tried to apply them at once. but realized that you might not learn the most important point of that kind of marketing methods.

It is best to slowly digest and apply the knowledge.
  4. samda

samda Member

I think reading ebooks will help you a bit here and there. But you will mature only if you start doing by yourself. You experiment, you succeed sometimes fail and at the end of the day you learn.

This is what happened to me atleast.
  5. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Irmy,

1. Define each main category of online marketing.

2. Learn a moderate amount about each component.

3. Put the theory into practice by experimenting with one or two free sites such as Squidoo or Blogger.

4. Monitor and tweak.

5. You'll know from experience what to study next. Study it.

6. Pick a paid hosting service and sign up. Learn everything you can about it and put your recent studies into practice. Monitor, tweak, repeat, learn more, implement, monitor, tweak, etc.

~Newbie Shield~
  6. seeyalater72

seeyalater72 New Member

Information overload is one of the top reasons most newbies burn out. Trying to sift through the endless information out there on how to succeed online can be intimidating. Instead of taking a shotgun approach and trying to learn everything at once, try a more rifle approach where you focus on one or two things to learn before moving to something else.
  7. gridellas

gridellas New Member

That was an excellent illustration with the guns. Never thought of it like that. But that is what I did when I first started out. I read, read and read non-stop not letting it digest. I ended up confused and not remembering anything. I had to go back over everything and read it again because I missed some of the main points. So when I tried to apply it without the main points it just led to more confusion and frustration. So if you are going to make it then steady yourself and make sure you understand and have applied the information before moving on.
  8. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

Hi Irmy,

You've really asked the right question in the right place. All of the above advice is on-the-ball! I'm a newbie too actually, so I know the eagerness to take in as much as you can in an effort to build up a comfortability before making any missteps. What I can say though is that you're less likely to make missteps if you do what you've done in coming here and asking questions who know the field. You're also less likely to make any missteps if you keep the pace slow. I know Hermas always reminds folks that slow and steady is the way... I totally agree.
  9. rubsync

rubsync New Member

We do have the same problem!.. [​IMG]
  10. JANEHO

JANEHO New Member

Hi Irmy,

It seems everyone here is giving the same good advice. You really must pay attention to it all, otherwise you'll end up like me (no not green and scaly!), going round and round in circles and hoping I can get off soon.

There really is so much information out there, not all of it good. Take your time and pick and choose carefully. Most of it will be around for a long time yet.

Best of luck with everything.

11. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

How to overcome info overload

On some level in the beginning I think it's normal to experience a feeling info overload, and that may be a good thing. You are at the info gathering stage, picking up various pieces of the puzzle. You don't understanding what they are or where they fit yet, but that's not important right now.

So you continue acculumating information until one day you say to yourself: "OK, I've got all this info but I'm even more confused than when I didn't know this much. How can I make sense of it and start to put it to work for me?"

That's when you stop gathering and start taking a closer look at what you have. You study each piece of information to understand what it is, what it does and where it belongs.

Slowly you start to see relationships between the pieces. It becomes easier to fill in the blanks and a picture begins to develop. It's only then that you are able consider which direction might be best for you, or not, and with some measure of confidence jump into the game.

And then, you discover with some trepidation, or exhileration (depending on your point of view) that you jumped from the frying pan into the fire! [​IMG]

12. jmwe29

jmwe29 New Member

All the replies are great. I too found myself completely overwhelmed with too much info. I purchased a program that has a plan, but I found myself taking "bunny trails", following links not directly associated with the plan. That's where I got distracted. I found that if I stick to the plan and don't get distracted by offers for this, that and the other, I am able to stay focused and not nearly as frustrated. Now I just ignore the links and delete the emails that aren't directly part of the plan. I've saved a handful for later consideration.
  13. persil

persil New Member

It's so easy to lose track once you start looking.
    If your researching one thing and come across something else, bookmark it so you can go review it later, that way you can continue doing what you were doing and go back to your bookmark later. This is what I do because it's so very easy to get sidetracked when researching online courses that you can make mistakes by jumping in feet first.
    Take your time and look at one thing at a time.
    If you find something to your liking, do plenty of research.
    Forums are a good place to look.
    Good Luck
  14. Franklin

Franklin New Member

irmy2000, I had the same problem. First thing I will say is STOP!. Don't keep reading new materials or ebooks. Just grab something that you already learned and put it to practice.

Keep doing that one thing over and over until you become very good at it, than you can move forward to something else.

That happened to me once and I got burned.

15. wisewoman

wisewoman New Member

Hi All-
    I am brand new here. I marketed on the internet in 1989 but things have so changed I have found that I am having to learn stuff all over again.

I have hit a MAJOR brain overload. I am going to take the advice here and apply what I can and keeping learning.

16. dula14

dula14 New Member

Trying narrowing your search to just a few things you're interested in. If your focus is just finding a way to make money online then you will find yourself looking at every "money making opportunity" that comes along because Lord knows there are a ton out there to get your attention. Find out what it is you like or enjoy doing and then tailor your search using those parameters.
  17. Jean LA

Jean LA New Member

almost all have undergone this kind of overload in internet marketing. You should stick with one technique that can give you profit.

For me, I have used article marketing and have made lots of profits.
  18. hello28

hello28 New Member

stick to one, and practice it over and over again. See if it's work. There's a lot of info out there. Focus on your goal and ignore others.
  19. FreeCashMan

FreeCashMan Well-Known Member

Plan and simple results come from action. Pick and starting point and get going. The best experience will come from implementation of marketing strategies. Do keep reading thinking you are going to discover some magic formula to instant success. There isn't one.

However, great things will come as you proceed to act on your knowledge and learn as you go.
  20. ACB123

ACB123 New Member

I personally just picked one "guru" and studied what they had. I picked Russell Brunson and learned a lot. Skipping around will just give you a headache. From Russell's instruction I was able to come up with my own information product for would be entrpreneurs to help them avoid "information overload".

Email me if you need any help.