How to start as a freelance writer

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by larslarson123, Feb 7, 2009.

1. larslarson123

larslarson123 New Member

What's a great website to look for freelance jobs? Preferably a site with somewhat low competition as I have no experience in the form of a resume...

I have excellent writing skills, just need a place to jump in! And what kind of pay should I expect or accept?

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

Have you looked at Odesk.com yet? I've recently hired some writers from there.

You can expect to get lower pay at first until you build up a reputation. I imagine that would be the same with any of the freelance sites you try. Once you get a good reputation for quality and timely service, you can start raising your bids.

In order to get an idea of what to bid on a project, take a look at some of the other projects that are similar in nature to what you want to do, and see what is being bid.

All the best,
    Angie

3. awestbrook23

awestbrook23 New Member

Hi, my name is Allison Westbrook. I started freelancing at the beginning of the year. I really enjoyed associated content at the beginning. Ehow is great for residuals and I try to keep it up at one article per week now. Textbroker is another good site to look at, as they pay better overall wages than associated content. Constant Content is another website that offers great pay, (because you set your own rates). However, constant content requires good writing. Authors are paid based on either filling requests or writing freelance articles and selling them...mostly to blog type buyers.

I personally just started with examiner very recently. I have truly been impressed with the potential there as well.

Personally, that is the order that I would recommend starting in. This will help you build a great portfolio, along with a little bit of residual income. [​IMG]

4. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

You may also want to check out elance.com

5. volybal3

volybal3 New Member

getafreelancer.com is a great site and there are tons of opportunities. There is some competition, but there are tons, tons, tons, of freelance opportunities here. Give it a try.

6. homejobsforyou

homejobsforyou New Member

If I were you I would checkout a site called Getafreelancer.com. Set up a profile and start bidding on writing projects.

-Jay

7. DaveWalters

DaveWalters New Member

I am also a fan of elance.com - great freelance writing site!