I don't want to go to school - Nickeloden Others down the tube.

Discussion in 'Raising Kids' started by opendomain, Apr 15, 2008.

1. opendomain

opendomain New Member

SO I have a 13 year old, a 5 year old,3 & 2(yes i'm very busy) [​IMG]

I watch TV with my kids and we watch spongebob and noggin and PBS and pretty much every kid show under the sun.

Over the last few weeks/months Nickelodeon has been airing commercials for "the Naked Brother's Bad" and their new song/movie "I don't want to go to school".

"Below is a quick article clipping from a review:
    The Naked Brothers Band is Nickelodeon's answer to Disney's Jonas Brothers, and with this album, they're definitely making a name for themselves. Tween girls everywhere swoon for their shaggy locks and sweet falsetto croons in doo-wop "yoo hoo hoos." The musical arrangements are clever and catchy, and the lyrics, albeit a bit premature coming from a 12-year-old pining for love, are still impressive and thoughtful."

Now where was I people started to become ok with kids, at any age really, to start chanting about them not wanting to go to school.

We were on our way to dinner last night and my 3 year old son started singing this song...rahter just the chorus as that's all the commercials play, "I don't want to go to school"...Needless to say there is no more Nickelodeon allowed in the house...which sucks because my kids love spongebob.

I've noticed about 90% of what is intended for kids is actually intended for an audience of about 18year olds... and older.

Kids talking about "love" and such i sjust wrong if you ask me.

... well anyway that is just a rant of mine.
    Looks like I'll be heading to the store later for some cartoon dvd's.

2. happywife

happywife Gold Member

I completely agree with you. Knowing myself like I do, if I had kids, I probably wouldn't have a TV! [​IMG] My poor darlings would have to grow up 'deprived.' They'd have to learn to entertain themselves by building forts with the couch cushions, making arts and crafts, playing cowboys and indians and reading, reading, reading.

I'm an old fuddy duddy. [​IMG]

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

Which is exactly why we do not have television in our home...and yes, our kids are avid fishermen - in fact they just got back from fishing in a local creek and guess what is on the menu tonight...[​IMG]

4. Aspire

Aspire New Member

I had the same problem with my kids and ended up using a video recorder set to specific times to record specific movies.

When my kids wanted to watch their favourites it was stuff that I totally approved of because I recorded it for them. It was a daily routine that made me feel comfortable and the kids had heaps of their favourite cartoons one after another.

I totally agree that the content is styled to older teens now-a-days.

I grew up with Huckleberry Hound - Speedy Gonzales - Herman the Monster - Bat Fink and The Jetsons. I neally fainted the other day when there was this cartoon trio of girls drooling over a cartoon guy and all of them going wobbly at the knees. (Walt Disney would turn over in his grave)

5. NavPitt

NavPitt New Member

As soon as I heard that song I was immediately disturbed! I never thought I would have to change the channel because of a "Kids commercial". Your right, I watch TV with my kids and can't believe half of the stuff that on for kids now! Highly recommend all parents monitor TV for their kids because it is getting out of hand!!

6. BillChechel

BillChechel New Member

We pretty much have limited our kids television channels to just one, which is Noggin.

Alot of people frown on TV in general, but its the program choices we make that are the problem.

But I also turn it off when it is nice outside because I believe that outdoor activities is the way to go. And the more tired they are, the better it is for late night activities.[​IMG]

7. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

BillChechel: And the more tired they are, the better it is for late night activities

lol - and I just love the fresh air smell on them when they come inside after a few hours outside....dirty feet that need to be washed before they tumble into bed...all too soon they will be all 'growed up' and gone.

Don't get me wrong - our kids watch movies, have x-box games - (limited to weekends only ) and computer games so they are not lacking in technology skills![​IMG]

8. mkidd6

mkidd6 New Member

My children are limited to what they watch. I allow more tv during the winter but now that spring is here they spend the majority of their time outdoors. (I too love those dirty, muddy feet I have to wash!!) They are only allowed to watch Disney Channel, movies I tape, and some Nick. Although I am surprised at some of the shows on Disney - I won't allow them to watch everything. I'm work within ear rang of the tv and I know exactly what my boys are watching and hearing. It is scary what the these networks deem child appropriate.

9. opendomain

opendomain New Member

I agree completely. My boys are generally in the front yard playing basketball, but as I live in phoenix and summer approaches I like to not have them passing out from heat stroke so we bring them inside during the day and unfortunately it's a matter of picking your poision. TV, Video games, Computer.

We of course read to them and play games iwth them as well but we want them to grow a little on their own too.

I guess we lucked out by having 3 small children so close in age(never thought i'd say thoughs words in that particular order) in that they can entertain eachother.

On a side note, I woke up 2 days ago to find my 5 & 3 year old playing the computer...at 2AM. Apparently the older boy knows the password to log into the computer and has the sense to get onto nick jr to play, wowwow wubbzie at ungodly hours of the night. If I wasn't so tired and in a scolding mood I would have been impressed.

It's amazing what kids pick up these days.

10. Aspire

Aspire New Member

opendomain: It's amazing what kids pick up these days

There is definitely a generation gap developing with computers. Even though I comfortably use one as a tool, my 13 yr old came back from school and proudly showed me how to change some code to add characters to a game that should not be there.

Schools are encouraging this as a means of kids to keep up with the technology revolution. (I remember when.... The Commodore Vic 20 came out ??“ I was amazed at the incredible leaps of technology then)

11. jaydanelle

jaydanelle New Member

I have a 1 year old and I monitor TV (she only gets to watch it really when I'm in the shower, and happens to love Barney in spanish?) but the song is catchy but the actual meaning? YIKES! I can't believe that they play this on TV for kids all ages to here... Things aren't about responsibility anymore... I lost my head for a while, I'm 19 I was pretty wild before I had a kid, but now it's pretty easy to understand why... it will only continually get worse and worse for generations to come when TV starts to de-promote school!

12. cybermommy

cybermommy New Member

I have two boys,11 and 2 years old.
    I also monitor what they are exposed to.
    Nick,I am not so keen on.
    Spongebob is my 2 year old must-watch,so I have SKY+(like Tivo)and can just record and store it.
    They both watch Disney channel,the older one loves Suite Life of Zach&Cody and my youngest Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
    They both also watch ScoobyDoo re-runs and love Tom&Jerry,which I am happy with as they were the cartoons of my youth [​IMG]

Some channels are way OTT though and they are banned!
    For the most part they are often too busy out in the garden getting messy which is what kids should be doing [​IMG]

13. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

opendomain: If I wasn't so tired and in a scolding mood I would have been impressed.

It's amazing what kids pick up these days.

lol - I know... if we can channel all that knowledge in the right direction. I lean quite heavily on my teenagers when it comes to all the technology stuff online.

We might as well face it - our children are growing up in a totally different environment than we did - very different from having to get up at 5am to go out and milk cows (by hand!)...

No, I am not ancient.... I just happened to grow up on a farm...That was a good life and one I wish I could give my kids but we live in a totally different era and if as much changes in the NEXT twenty years as it has in the past twenty....then some of those weird movies that our kids watch, like Star Trek - may not be so far out afterall - lol