I found a real honest to goodness JOB - not an Opp... a job.

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by beccala, Mar 29, 2006.

1. OurSouls New Member

Only just joined this forum today. The truth is, as much as I have been looking for some extra income for quite some time, I do find it hard to see exactly what I want.

I work as a Freelance IT consultant, and I love my job. I don't want a replacement job, I could just do with a bit of a supplement. I live in a small-ish town in England and tend to have extended periods of very little work. During this period I'd like to find something I could do from home.

Ideally, something as boring as data entry would still be perfect, but I know that any advertised data entry jobs tend to be scams.

I signed up for Associated content to see what it was like. I'm still waiting on confirmation of my first sumbission. However, I'm no writer. All I'm looking for is some kind of data entry or survery job that I can do in my own time for a few extra pennies.

Does anyone have any ideas?
  2. happywife Gold Member

You may want to look into Amazon's Mechanical Turk. They have all kinds of daily human intelligent tasks (HIT's) that you would probably have no trouble completing.

They don't necessarily have to be in your skill area of IT, but you may find some that pay better in that field. It's worth looking into.

Some tasks may only take a minute of your time and pay you .10 - .20 cents, others may take longer and pay more, etc.

All the best,
    Angie
  3. OurSouls New Member

Thanks Angie,

The site looks perfect for what I'm after. The only possible problem being that the payments may not be able to be sent to the UK and I couldn't see a UK version of the site. I've asked them of the possibilities and will let you know how I get on.

Regards,
    Dave
  4. happywife Gold Member

Your welcome Dave!

I'd wondered about that (not knowing where you were located), but I thought I read that they did accept users from all over now. I'll definitely be interested in hearing what you find out.

I use MT as a requester for small things on my site, so, who knows, you may end up doing a task for me one day. [IMG]

Keep me posted...
    Angie
  5. OurSouls New Member

Hi Angie,

Just to let you know. I heard back from Amazon regarding the HITs payment. Unfortunately they still only support payment in the form of US bank accounts or amazon.com gift certificates. They can't even support the certificates being transfered to the other amazon sites, i.e. amazon.co.uk.

Unfortunately this means it is not exactly appropriate for me, although I greatly appreciate your assistance. The good news is that in my message to them I did suggest paypal. They seem to have taken this on board, (how successful it will be I don't know,) and said it may be a possibility for the near future.
  6. happywife Gold Member

Aw, what a shame! Well, hopefully they will get on the ball and get the paypal option activated. I got the impression from the sound of some of the answers to my HIT's that individuals from other countries were involved, but maybe they somehow have US bank accounts or something.

Thanks for letting me know the response and status. Have you looked into elance.com, getafreelancer.com, and scriptlance.com? They may be more global. Scriiptlance may be the closest to your field.

To be honest with you, I'd start working on building your own website business. You can take it gradually as you have the time, but it would most likely be the most profitable option in the long run.

I use SiteBuildIt and think they are brilliant. Just a thought.

All the best,
    Angie
  7. OurSouls New Member

Thanks Angie, I'll give some of those a look. Funnily enough, I have start looking into website design. The first thing I'd want to do before doing a website business would be to come up with an idea. If I can get a bit of knowledge behind me first, then when that idea comes I'm sure it will be a much smoother ride.

I'll keep you up to date on any progress I make with the other sites.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
    Dave
  8. BlueIce New Member

How did they go?
  9. OurSouls New Member

I haven't taken on any jobs on those sites, although elance did look quite good. I've taken on a few jobs locally for now so don't have much time to try out the online work, but once I have the time I'll probably give elance a shot.

Will let you know how it goes.
  10. blessings2you New Member

Sara Hepburn, I would like to know if you're making good money with the link you have in your signature. I'm interested in doing something online again.
    Thank you