I may scrap the Introduction forum

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Vishal P. Rao, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

businessonapage: I'm not sure if you thought I was using the word labelling in a bad way. I had meant to indicate it was good to have a Learners stage before 'member' and 'preferred member' to allow for mistakes some newbies may make, such as, eagerly advertising the first affiliate ad they enrolled in rather than contribute to a forum discusion.

Actually there is no automated way of upgrading member status in this forum [​IMG] All are Members are Preferred members are specifically upgraded by me after viewing their contribution to the forum.

I guess I'll have to think about the automated way as the forum is becoming pretty large to monitor individual performances.

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Vishal P. Rao: I guess I'll have to think about the automated way as the forum is becoming pretty large to monitor individual performances.

Hi Vishal,

If you use number of posts in your algo, folks will spam just to gain official status and the quality will drop quite a bit.

If you use "replied to", small teams will form so that each member of the team gains status eventually.

Time on forum - since x date or duration of membership - doesn't usually mean much since many made a few posts one or two years ago but drop by for a post once or twice every few months and disappear again.

There is really no way to determine quality of contribution except to do so manually as you have been doing.

One alternative is to consider adding little colored dashes as "potential" indicators of contribution. It's vague and mostly inaccurate due to the reasons stated above but it's something if you really feel you need to add something (personally, I wouldn't. I think you have the system set up better than any other forum. Less is more.)

I think hand-picking titles is the only way that provides accuracy. I also think that the titles should be subject to revocation. If a preferred member starts slacking or sets a bad example, you might remove the title.

I don't think that having too many of any given title is a good idea either as it will water down the true meaning of the title. The title would become luke warm and nearly meaningless.

I suggest considering other titles. Moderator is the first thing that comes to mind. You might also have differing levels of various titles such as Senior, Associate, Ensign, etc as prefixes.

Furthermore, I've seen forums where members have either more than one title or a title plus various badges. For example, a member might have the title of moderator and have a "top contributor" badge, "Length of Service" badge, and "Expert Marketer" badge as well.

You could take the "Length of Service" badge a step further. For example, if someone has been a member for 1-2 years, they might have a "1" on the badge. For those who have been members for 2-3 years, there might be a 2 on the badge, etc...

Of course, you'd have to give a good amount of thought on qualifications or the algo, especially in regards to something like Top Contributor or Expert Marketer. Perhaps moderators and Preferred Members can assist on this matter. You could also get some assistance from using Polls.

Since you feel that the action on the forum is getting to be a bit much, you might consider two or three moderators. If you do, I would vote for HappyWife and Hermas. I would also be willing to help out in pretty much any capacity you like. There comes a time when "outsourcing" is necessary.

Personally, outsourcing will be one of the most difficult tasks I will ever face. I love to know everything about everything. I also like to do everything myself.

I'm okay with Joint Ventures, but delegating tasks within my own business is a disturbing thought. Even so, I am currently faced with the said situation in my own biz and I know for a fact that I will have to either hire a jack of all trades full time or begin to take on free lancers some time within the next 12 months.

It's actually a good sign business-wise, but it's also a bit unnerving to think about.

Back to titles and dashes: The forum is nearly perfect - possibly as close to perfect as can be - the way it is. I might advise caution in fixing something that isn't broken.

If you add various titles, things may become quite political and folks may feel slighted if they have been here for a time or if they feel they have been contributing more than others yet have no badges or titles. It could get quite complex.

It's a tough decision at best. Let me know if you'd like to bounce some ideas off of me. I've been an admin and a moderator on several boards and I'd be happy to help via PM or email.

Best of luck,

~Newbie Shield~

3. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

"To scrap, or not to scrap the Introduction forum; that is the question.
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the wrath of newbies,
    Or to take arms against an outcry from loyal members,
    And by opposing, end them?"

(Forgive my feeble attempt to spoof Shakespeare's Hamlet as a lead in to this post) [​IMG]

I obviously got to this discussion late, so many of my observations may be moot. But I'll state them anyway, if only to add interest.

Vishal, the cosummate forum administrator, is always primarily concerned with increasing efficiency and improving the service, value and useful content this forum provides to members. His analysis of the stats from the Introduction forum led him to consider closing it. This way, the wide range of topics being discussed in that forum that were unrelated to Introductions, could be seen and appreciated by more members if they were posted in the appropriate forums.

Makes perfect sense to me!

In keeping with the tone of courtesy, respect and warmth that exists here, Vishal, rather than make an arbitrary decision to close the forum, which he could have done, chose to solicit feedback from members first. Twenty-four hours later and with a 100% response in favor (all from very highly respected contributing forum members) the decision is made and the Introduction forum is history.

Seven months have now passed and from where I sit it's hard to tell what effect, if any, the closing has had on the Work-at-Home-Forum overall, and I don't know if there is any reliable method for measuring the outcome statistically. Seems to me things are moving along just fine though.

As far as automating elements of the forum to monitor and rate individual member contributions, I believe any digital "solution" on its own (without human intervention) will be inadequate at best. Newbie Shield's comprehensive assessment of alternative options supports this point of view.

And speaking of human intervention, Newbie, I'm honored that you'd nominate me for consideration should Vishal opt for live support.

Hermas

4. Vishal P. Rao

Vishal P. Rao Administrator Staff Member

Newbie Shield: I think hand-picking titles is the only way that provides accuracy. I also think that the titles should be subject to revocation. If a preferred member starts slacking or sets a bad example, you might remove the title.

I don't think that having too many of any given title is a good idea either as it will water down the true meaning of the title. The title would become luke warm and nearly meaningless.

You are right! It's a human tendency to make things as much automated as possible [​IMG]

Newbie Shield: Since you feel that the action on the forum is getting to be a bit much, you might consider two or three moderators. If you do, I would vote for HappyWife and Hermas. I would also be willing to help out in pretty much any capacity you like. There comes a time when "outsourcing" is necessary.

Personally, outsourcing will be one of the most difficult tasks I will ever face. I love to know everything about everything. I also like to do everything myself.

I appreciate your suggestions NS! But like you, handing over the responsibilities (in part) over to somebody else doesn't come too easily to me. Actually the moderating stuff isn't too much for me. It's just that when things start gaining momentum on it's own, you tend to become lazy and think of automating things [​IMG]

Newbie Shield: Back to titles and dashes: The forum is nearly perfect - possibly as close to perfect as can be - the way it is. I might advise caution in fixing something that isn't broken.

Even I think that way. I'll let things move on as it is at the moment.

A8ch: Seven months have now passed and from where I sit it's hard to tell what effect, if any, the closing has had on the Work-at-Home-Forum overall, and I don't know if there is any reliable method for measuring the outcome statistically. Seems to me things are moving along just fine though.

Thank you for your inputs Hermas. Your words always amaze me [​IMG]

While there is really no reliable method of measuring the outcome, I feel that I made a good decision. Having the forum simply would have diverted most of the attention towards it, which wouldn't have added any real value of the forum as whole.

5. Dessie

Dessie New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and feel that you have made the correct decision in disbanding the Introduction Forum.
    Far better to just be judged on your contributions and helpfulness around the entire forum.
    Friendships will be made ( or not! ) on this basis.
    Dessie.

6. kellyeallen

kellyeallen New Member

I am also new to this forum and look forward to creating friendships with people who are all working from home. I new to the whole seen and need as much support as possible.