Increase traffic of the blog with stumble upon

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization (SEO)' started by moonheart, Jul 21, 2009.

1. moonheart

moonheart Guest

Do you want to increase traffic of the blog, Do your blog get daily 30 to 50 visitors?

Stumble upon is one of the social bookmarking site, from which you can get daily up to 1000 visitors. I have make one post how stumble upon increase visitors.
  2. getagrip

getagrip Gold Member

I wouldn't say that JUST linking from Stumble Upon will increase your visitors by 1000 - there are a lot of factors that play into this, and backlinks is just one factor - and just getting one backlink from Stumble Upon isn't going to make a huge difference in your traffic.
  3. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

I was wondering who would be the first to answer that one. There are lots of bookmarking sites out there, some will bookmark you to lots of social sites with one click, stumbleupon being one of them. There is digg, technorati and the list goes on and on.

There are rss feeds and I use those as well even though I really don't know what it is and pinging, I do that too. Don't know what it all means, I just do it.
  4. kyrash

kyrash New Member

robinincarolina: I really don't know what it is and pinging, I do that too. Don't know what it all means, I just do it.
    lol thats the spirit, just do it and don't worry about what it means. Your post made me smile. Thanks
  5. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Thats what it is all about, making someone smile in my opinion. Thanks. Its what keeps me going.
  6. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

robinincarolina: Don't know what it all means, I just do it.
    That made me smile as well - and made me feel better... goes to prove that you really do not have to know it all to make money - lol[​IMG]
  7. mjb13815

mjb13815 New Member

I did my share of chuckling to that post robinincarolina. It's funny because I'm the same way. Hopefully soon we will understand what we are doing haha. jk
  8. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

Wow, ditto to robinincarolina on the pinging thing and not really getting it.... it IS funny. I just followed what the 30DC guys said was important to do, and the pinging, submitting, etc. activities was a process step that most definitely works.

But to stay on the topic of StumbleUpon, it's strange because I get a disproportionately high amount of traffic from SU than from Digg or Mixx, or Propeller, or Technorati, etc. I thought about this and the only thing that made sense as to why that could be is maybe because I've had a heavily used StumbleUpon account from about 2004 (used to be addicted to stumbling in college actually... it enabled my procrastination [​IMG] ). And having been on for so long, maybe my submissions to StumbleUpon are more heavily weighted than my submissions through say Mixx.. .which I only just joined a few months ago.

That hypothesis could be waaaayyyy off (actually, I'd be SUPER surprised if that is, in fact, why), but since I like to make sense of these things and couldn't think of anything that made more sense... [​IMG]

No matter what though, I definitely think the size of the community plays a role. And since there are quite a few HUGE communities out there (Digg is enormous, for one), that it's still worth it to take the time to submit to multiple instead of just one, even if one tends to send more traffic to a site like yours than others.
  9. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Singapoor: it's strange because I get a disproportionately high amount of traffic from SU than from Digg or Mixx, or Propeller, or Technorati, etc. I thought about this and the only thing that made sense as to why that could be is maybe because I've had a heavily used StumbleUpon account from about 2004
    Hi Singapoor,

Others report getting the best results from SU. However, the fact that you've had your account for years does make a difference. Even so, it depends which type of article you are book marking.

Different communities value different types of posts. Some like nice pictures, fun videos, and cool tunes. Others like "How to" posts, etc...

The trick is to find out which communities respond best to which types of posts.

Furthermore, you have to find a way to determine which days are best and which times within each day is best.

There is a science to it.

It'll be different for each webmaster so there is no set-in-stone step-by-step for which one to use when.

Generally speaking, if you only use Digg and SU, you'll probably do quite well - provided you can figure out the things I've mentioned earlier in this reply.

Happy dissecting :)

~Newbie Shield~

PS. FYI - when I said you were seasoned I meant that you were already a competent webmaster. You also write well, are enthusiastic in regards to the online marketing trade, and you have a golden personality.

I'm sure you'll do well with the online marketing side of things because you have a great attitude and you know how to approach things. You rock :)
  10. georgie

georgie Guest

Back links helps increase the amount of traffic.. In order to do that, you have to participate on the strategies that helps generates tons of back links like article and directory submissions, blog commenting, forum posting (link signature), classified ads, link exchange (exchange links on relevant sites with high PR), press releases, social bookmarking, and online groups..
  11. innominds

innominds New Member

I don't think traffic from social bookmarking sites convert well. They simply generate traffic on automatic basis.
  12. Singapoor

Singapoor New Member

Awww, thanks NS.

Newbie Shield: Different communities value different types of posts. Some like nice pictures, fun videos, and cool tunes. Others like "How to" posts, etc...
    And now that you mention it, yeah, I knew that. I took a break from SU for a few years actually then started back on there this spring only as a result of getting into IM. And, having started to actually stumble a bit again only recently, I began recalling that simple fact ("that" being the point about some circles preferring pics, funny articles, etc.). Dissecting this animal's a bit... I don't know, not something I think I'd want to spend too much time on though.

And speaking of certain times of the day to certain audiences - I've read quite a few people worth listening to say the same thing about Twitter and getting stuff RTed. Getting into Microblogging and getting heavily into Social Networking is a real drag for me, I have to admit, but I do find these tidbits interesting as I read more and more in an effort to try and to push myself in the direction of expanding the toolbox, if you will.

Anyway, for the analytical beings out there who thoroughly enjoy picking things apart, this (best time/demographic/content matter/etc. stuff) is a topic worth looking at - I feel.
  13. pplrulz

pplrulz New Member

is their a good book or tutorial on bookmarking?

Thanks,
  14. Newbie Shield

pplrulz: is their a good book or tutorial on bookmarking?
    Hi pplrulz,

No need for a guide although many exist. The sites are straight forward in regard to signing up, creating a profile, and using them.

Beyond that, all you really need to know is be careful about bookmarking your own stuff very often - especially if you have a link to your site on your profile page.

You don't want social network members to know that you are book marking your own site because that is taboo. You can get slammed, buried, or even banned if you aren't careful.

So, if you do book mark your own stuff don't do it more than once every 10 or so book marks. If you're going to do that then consider NOT putting your site link on your profile page.

One exception would be Twitter. It's common and acceptable to tweet your own site pages. There may be some other sites where it's okay but make sure you look into it before you do it.

As far as which days of the week or which time of day to book mark on a specific book marking site, try experimenting and try Googling it.

~Newbie Shield~
  15. elle14

elle14 New Member

It takes a lot effort and you need some determination to target your high traffic. In short, forus more on offpage optimization. But be sure you are following the right process. Keep on building quality links with your target keyword.
  16. dula14

dula14 New Member

Newbie Shield: You don't want social network members to know that you are book marking your own site because that is taboo. You can get slammed, buried, or even banned if you aren't careful.
    I recently book marked several of my sites on Stumbleupon and wondered about this very thing. I only book marked each site once for fear of this very thing. Glad to have someone finally clarify this situation for me.
  17. Newbie Shield

Hi dula,

You can do it once in a while - say once every ten book marks or so - for your own site. I'd also reserve bookmarking for your very best pages.

Just book mark nine or ten different sites in between.

~Newbie Shield~
  18. johnkhoo

johnkhoo New Member

I agree that using stumble upon can bring up our website traffic a lot. But, those traffic are not targeted. They come fast and gone fast too. For more targeted traffic, i would say Yahoo! Answers and article submission is the best.
  19. elle14

elle14 New Member

I really don't get a traffic using stumble upon. It's like no one reviewing my favorites. Can you give some good guidelines upon managing your account in stumble upon. BTW add me up
    [Link removed - Admin]
  20. potsyn

potsyn Guest

Aside from social bookmarking, participate also on the following:

social networking (facebook, myspace, multiply, twitter)
    commenting on dofollow blogs
    forum posting
    classified ads
    press release
    article submission