Initially Keeping the MLM Company Secret

Discussion in 'Network/Multi-level Marketing' started by realityshifter, Jun 26, 2009.

1. realityshifter

realityshifter New Member

Hi guys!

I have encountered MLM recruitment activities where initially, the would-be sponsor(s) keep the identity of the company (or for that matter, even what the activity is all about) secret until they get you in the lecture room and you become part of a captive audience where it would be difficult for you to get out as a matter of courtesy to the one who invited you.

What's your opinion on this? I for one am uncomfortable with this ploy. I believe that if my product and company is really good, then I should be able to come out in the open outright and tell my prospect it is about this product and this company.

Still, there might be some pros and cons on the matter. Can we have some sharing of thoughts on this?

realityshifter

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi RS,

It's undoubtedly sleazy. Typical of an MLM gang to pull something sneaky like that.

~Newbie Shield~

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

I don't like it either and was never comfortable with it. Amway for one demands that their reps do not mention their name and Malleluca is another one...

Its all part of the game plan to get you IN the door so they can give you their spiel and possibly hook you.[​IMG]

I see you have Ann Siegs stuff. Good stuff.[​IMG]

4. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Personally I think the ploy is distasteful, but I do understand the psychology that's in play.

1. A recruiter needs to use curiosity as an incentive to get you to the meeting. Curiosity can be the most effective carrot to dangle.

2. If she mentions the company name, a prospect may have heard something about the company and may have ill-conceived, negative ideas (from the recruiter's perspective) about it. So to avoid the uphill battle of having to deal with objections even before getting you to a meeting, it's easier to keep the name a secret. Plus it adds to the mystery.

3. Then there is the control factor. The least you know beforehand, the fewer preconceived ideas there'll be for the recruiter to combat and get you signed up.

4. MLMers seem to embrace the notion that regular people are somehow afraid of or are unable to recognize any opportunity that could benefit them. So it becomes the recruiter's responsibility to take us by the hand and lead us like sheep to the lecture hall. That's when we are summarily "educated" on the merits of their program and its life-changing potential.

5. Like every marketing/promotional campaign, it all comes down to the numbers. The more people that can be packed into a room, the better chance there will be to convert a percentage. The excitement and euphoria that is usually stirred up at these meetings always seems to magnify the suitability and urgency of the opportunity. That can have a contagious influence on those caught up in it.

Hermas

5. Kurt Henninger

Kurt Henninger New Member

I am with you there Hermas. The psychology is definitely there to do that, but its not exactly a desirable way to do business.

6. RICH4NURICHE

RICH4NURICHE New Member

GOOD POST AND I AGREE WITH HERMAS. I STILL BELIEVE THAT IT IS DECEPTIVE AND ALSO THAT IT SHOWS WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE REST OF THE MEETING. I'VE HEARD STATEMENTS LIKE "A NO-BRAINER" THAT IMPLIES IF YOU DON'T SIGNUP THEN YOUR DUMB. IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN INSULT TO THOSE WITH COMMON SENSE, WHICH WOULD PROBABLY BE THE MAJORITY OF THE AUDIENCE.

7. drkolarik

drkolarik New Member

In my opinion I think it is sleazy and is part of what gives mlm's a bad reputation.

I have been quite successful by simply building a relationship and being honest with the prospect.

As networkers we are in the sorting business, not the convincing business.

Dream Big and live it.

8. BHP

BHP New Member

Classic mlm

Mlm requires you to convince someone to do something they wouldnt otherwise do.

9. cherie27

cherie27 New Member

Honesty is the best policy for MLM.

The way they do this, it is a bit of scheming.

Have you join this company? Or you are just taking a look?

10. GlennELee

GlennELee New Member

Classic MLM's have done this in the past and one of the many reasons that have given MLM a bad name, though there are many reasons behind this (such as scams in disguise as a real business).

Recruiters themselves I don't believe should use this sort of tactic, but then again neither should business owners of said programs either. If I was told hold a lecture regarding any MLM business, the name of the company will be made publicly available.

The reason it's better to make at least the actual company name available is so people can have better knowledge and ask around and research about the company beforehand. If any negativity comes up about said business, then it's the person's job to be able to talk about the program and know enough about it to be able to answer any and all objections to the company, or at least as much as humanly possible.

Though this tactic would need to be 100% honest and upfront. Odds are, if the name of the company is revealed long before said lecture is given, then it'll likely yield higher conversions and less shooting blindfolded.

11. BobFirestone

BobFirestone New Member

We all agree that there are catastrophic flaws in the strategy but there is one lesson that new people should learn from it.

Sometimes you need to keep your mouth shut. If you don't know what you are talking about let your prospect know you don't want to give them incorrect or wrong information.

I have had people pitch me on their opportunity and just talk and talk and talk and talk their way out of any chance of making a deal.

12. dawnmo

dawnmo New Member

I don't like it. Perhaps the tactic works with some prospects, but for me, I would be out of there. I value honesty and openness.

13. GaryCameron

GaryCameron Member

I am always open to learning about new companies. The people who are honest with me get my attention. I NEVER go to an opportunity meeting without first knowing the name of the company. This saves me a lot of wasted time and hassle.

Two to three times a year I get prospected for a certain MLM that has been around for a long time. Different hooks have been used to get me interest. Here are two examples. Which person are you most likely to give time to listen to?

---

Situation #1:

A chance meeting with someone I haven't seen in a very long time. Ed asks me if I am still working with computers. I was a the time so I say yes. He tells me he has something he wants to show me that will help build my computer business. After a bit I ask, "Is this A...?"

He stammers, "Yes but you don't understand..."

I reply, "Oh? All I did was ask you a yes/no question. You seem to be afraid to answer. What's not to understand?"

Ed finally admits the name of the company. I politely tell him I am with B... and that things are going very well.

---

Situation #2

I am asked by a contact to help him with a computer problem at his home. While we are visiting he starts telling me about his business. I ask, "Is this A...?"

His response is, "Yes! Are you interested?"

---

The primary reason I have no interest in this particular company is that MOST of the distributors who have approached me have been somewhat deceptive and seem afraid to name the company when I ask.