Is it just me or do others get sidetracked too?!

Discussion in 'Casual Chat' started by diane622, Sep 18, 2009.

1. diane622

diane622 New Member

Hi all,

Well, I've officially made my daily/weekly to-do-list and included in that is participating more in the forums that I enjoy so much, of which work-at-home-forum is one of my favs! The thing that I'm noticing though is I get so caught up in reading other posts that before I know it an hour or two has passed and I'm scrambling to move on to the other things on my list, or I will click on a link in a sig and become engrossed in their site!

I have so many things on my "marketing to do list" that there just aren't enough hours in the day to a) do my full-time job, b) do my marketing, and c) spend the day distracted in the vast world that is the Internet!

So, how do others who get sidetracked keep focused throughout the day and get done what needs to get done? (Aside from the obvious that the full-time job never gets neglected, but how do you get to all the other stuff?) Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts on this!

Have a great day!
    Diane

2. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

Hi Diane,

We are all plagued by the very same problem. The bottom line is that we all have to use purposeful self discipline to manage our focus.

It's helpful to decide what is the most important group of things to get done each week by putting them in either an MS Word document or a spreadsheet and adhering to them.

It's okay to get "sidetracked" on your breaks but during the work time, you'll want to focus on your work and little besides.

Practice makes perfect and luckily it's as simple as I say. It's a simplified form of Task Management.

If you find it helpful, you can take it to the next level - Project Management. You can detail the tasks, create daily schedules, and include both start dates and end dates for each task.

You can even assign priority levels to each task and project via numeric system where 1 might be a top priority and 10 might be the lowest level priority.

The level of detail is up to you - as simple or as complex as would suit your personality and needs. Feel free to experiment for a month or two in order to find a sweet spot or compromise :)

Just understand that it's normal to get distracted and we all have to manage it. Know when to work, when to play, and how to strike a balance. Remember to exercise and to set aside time to do chores, errands, and non-work things as well.

Good question,

~Newbie Shield~

3. mountainmom5

mountainmom5 Gold Member

You are definitely not the only one with that problem, Diane, believe me.... throw a couple teenagers into the mix yet.[​IMG]

I don't know if I will EVER get it down pat, because having a strict guideline bores the tar outa me... so I keep trying to discipline myself.

Like this morning, I am having a bit of fun as my business computer has a virus on it so am running scans trying to find it and in the meantime I am using hubby's laptop....

I am limited in what I can do on his computer as all my 'stuff' is so much eaiser to find on my own pc... so.... I am just piddling around on forums, and having a laidback morning... having fun, more or less.[​IMG]

I'll get serious again later on mine then....

4. robinincarolina

robinincarolina Silver Member

Oh my yes! I am very active on a forum in my niche, well maybe too active. I started a thread that I now realize will never end, its up to almost 5000 posts and since I started it, the pm's pop into my email daily and I have to answer. The good news is, it is building me a list. So that being said, I have gotten very involved in this forum and have made some great cyber friends, many of us are meeting in Atlantic City in a few weeks. The bad part is, once I log on, I seem to get stuck there, and I love it, so I have to force myself to log back out.

5. diane622

diane622 New Member

Well good to know I'm not the only one! [​IMG]

Newbie Shield,

Thanks for the great tips. I will definitely try it and see what might work for me. I'm great at making my lists, it's just sticking to them that I need more discipline in!

Also thanks for a Squidoo Discussion you created a while back. I found it and printed out many of the suggestions in it. I'll have to look into this Squidoo thing! (Uh oh, I've just added another thing to my to-do-list! [​IMG])

Thanks all! Diane

6. A8ch

A8ch Gold Member

Newbie Shield: The bottom line is that we all have to use purposeful self discipline to manage our focus.
    Very nicely stated NS! [​IMG] You also offered some useful workarounds, like assigning priority levels and establishing time frames.

I think most people know, on a deep intuitive level, that they should manage their focus carefully if they expect to be productive, but it's the "purposeful self discipline" part that tends to get in the way sometimes.

For me, breaking my tasks into short, concentrated chunks helps me to get the job done.

At the moment I'm working on a software product I recently acquired resale rights to. My ultimate goal is to have it online by dinner time this evening. But before I can accomplish that, there are a few little things I have to finish first:

1. customize a Thank You and a Download page
    2. customize the check processing sequence
    3. create a form to capture names and email addresses
    4. configure a script to automate personalized email acknowlegments and populate a database
    5. upload and secure the relevant folders and files
    6. test every interactive element to be sure it works as intended
    7. triple check to be sure I didn't miss something

There's no way I'm going to do all that in one sitting. So I'll break it into manageable chunks of time or tasks that allow me to stay on target mentally.

Between sessions I'll probably doodle on the piano for a few minutes, run an errand or two, or tinker with a different project altogether. As long as I meet my goal to be online by dinnertime, how I do it is entirely up to me.

Hermas

7. diane622

diane622 New Member

Good luck getting all that done by dinnertime, Hermas! Let us know what the new product is when it's out! [​IMG]

Excellent steps you've outlined too as a reminder of actually getting something out on the web!

Diane

8. Newbie Shield

Newbie Shield Gold Member

mountainmom5: I don't know if I will EVER get it down pat, because having a strict guideline bores the tar outa me... so I keep trying to discipline myself.
    Hi M5 (diane below),

Just watch the 1973 version of the movie "Tom Sawyer". Pay special attention to the fence painting scene.

Lol, Jodie Foster is about 11 years old in that one and plays "Becky". Johnny Whitaker - "Jody" on Family Affair aka Buffy (still have your Mrs. Beasley doll?) and Jody - plays "Tom".

The whole family will love it. It's one of a half dozen or so musicals I actually like. Most musicals annoy the heck out of me.

Hee [​IMG]

diane622: Thanks for the great tips. I will definitely try it and see what might work for me.
    Hi diane: You're welcome and good luck.

diane622: I'm great at making my lists, it's just sticking to them that I need more discipline in!
    That's where pattern forcing comes in - replace an undesirable pattern with a desirable pattern and that begins with what I was describing as "purposeful self discipline to manage our focus".

diane622: Also thanks for a Squidoo Discussion you created a while back. I found it and printed out many of the suggestions in it. I'll have to look into this Squidoo thing! (Uh oh, I've just added another thing to my to-do-list!
    You're welcome. Luckily it's worthy of adding to your list and pursuing in the near future (higher priority level [​IMG])

Furthermore, you'll find plenty of lenses (Squidoo pages) that do a nice job of teaching visitors how to create nice lenses if they should ever decide to do so.

I like your eBook site - well done.

Something I noticed about your eBook site - you have the copyright notice listed as "2006" at the bottom of your pages when the site didn't actually go live until the end of the year just last year - mid November of 2008.

You might consider correcting that.

Tip - there is a section in the upper right titled "Links". That's a fine title and it's an expected standard. However, I am willing to bet that if you toss in a little creativity, you'll see more clickouts from that section.

Might I suggest replacing the "Links" title with something like "Related Resources" or "Helpful Resources"?

I would also recommend using some sort of enticement in the "Newsletter" area, which is currently the last item on the left side of your site. I see no incentive to sign up for your list. Spell it out for me and make it tempting [​IMG]

Good luck!

~Newbie Shield~

9. Ann Williams

Ann Williams New Member

I am very tactile as well as visual, so I write a "to do" the night before. It reinforces it since I wrote it, tactile, and can see it later.

Also, if something new comes up in the morning, which often happens, I can just add it or schedule another task. That way things may get delayed, but not forgotten.

Thanks for asking. It helps so much to remind yourself what's important and what is not.

[​IMG]

10. diane622

diane622 New Member

Newbie, you are an absolute wealth of knowledge, and I'm so glad I've been able to tap into it! I will check into each item you pointed out. Thank you!

Ann, I love your idea about a to-do list the night before! I never thought about that but will definitely consider it!

Diane

11. 247MoneyMentor

247MoneyMentor New Member

Hi Diane,

I'm new to this forum and was intrigued by this post so just had to reply.

The trick I have found to staying focused is to have a spread sheet.
    Half of it should be your to do list with the time you think it will take to get each done.
    The other half of the spread sheet should be split into 2.

One half should be titled "LoVE TO" which is a list of things you have come across on the net and can't do now but would love to do later...ie viewing an interesting website - jot the address.

The other half should be the time allocated to the MUST DO WITHOUT A DOUBT LIST.
    The must do without a doubt list should be decided on before the start of the day. Once i get that list done and i still feel i have the energy - then i'll excitedly go to my Love to list as my treat.

Try it! I hope this helps [​IMG])

12. diane622

diane622 New Member

247MoneyMaker,

Thanks for the suggestion! I just now saw your reply on this post (guess I didn't have it tracked in email!).

Anyway, great suggestion, I love the whole love to do/must do idea! I'll definitely try something like it!

Diane